Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach shocked and dismayed at Sinn Fein TDs tweet on IRA attacks

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

Floppybits wrote: »
    Look they are the words of the person involved and she has asked FG to retract the heavies statement. Have they done that yet and issued an apology?

I do feel sorry for the girl first for the uncomfortable position that she was put in and secondly for FG using this and twisting her words so that they could score a political point. Two wrongs don't make a right here. That person is now being used as a political football to be kicked around by FG. That for is as bad as the neighbour calling round.

FG apologise for spreading lies online. No chance I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Look they are the words of the person involved and she has asked FG to retract the heavies statement. Have they done that yet and issued an apology?

I do feel sorry for the girl first for the uncomfortable position that she was put in and secondly for FG using this and twisting her words so that they could score a political point. Two wrongs don't make a right here. That person is now being used as a political football to be kicked around by FG. That for is as bad as the neighbour calling round.

She also said she is disappointed with Mary-Lou's interview and response (you know the one that Francie said went brilliant) this morning, saying it was wrong to call to her door. Is Mary-Lou going to respond to that? Let's be clear, the real problem here is the SF behaviour that made a young woman feel weird.

By the way, you never answered the question as to what you thought she meant by weird. Given that you seem to know all her other innermost thoughts, I guessed you would have a view.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/mcdonald-grilled-on-stanley-the-provos-and-why-so-many-sinn-fein-party-members-are-reluctant-to-take-the-covid-19-vaccine-39836085.html

For anyone that missed it, here is car crash interview with Claire Byrne this morning. Hope the Belfast boys liked it because otherwise Mary-Lou is in trouble.

blanch152 wrote: »
    She also said she is disappointed with Mary-Lou's interview and response (you know the one that Francie said went brilliant) this morning, saying it was wrong to call to her door. Is Mary-Lou going to respond to that? Let's be clear, the real problem here is the SF behaviour that made a young woman feel weird.

By the way, you never answered the question as to what you thought she meant by weird. Given that you seem to know all her other innermost thoughts, I guessed you would have a view.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/mcdonald-grilled-on-stanley-the-provos-and-why-so-many-sinn-fein-party-members-are-reluctant-to-take-the-covid-19-vaccine-39836085.html

For anyone that missed it, here is car crash interview with Claire Byrne this morning. Hope the Belfast boys liked it because otherwise Mary-Lou is in trouble.

In trouble? The greatest leader the party ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

"Because despite fine Gael being wrong, I am disappointed in Mary Lou response
    If this is what the party does [knocking on people's doors], it is so uncomfortable
    They should call/email people"

Do you still agree with O'Mahony's latest tweet?

Do you still think Mary-Lou did a great interview?

Do you still think there is no problem with a "friend" calling to the door to ask for tweets to be deleted?

I think the girl is entitled to feel however she wants.
    What YOU are not entitled to do is repeatedly LIE despite the facts that he was a friend and left a friend being pointed out to you.

Scurrilous lies is what you were telling today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

In trouble? The greatest leader the party ever had

I'd say the bunting and flags are out in Dundalk alright, should be a 2nd seat in Louth, who will they unseat next election?

• Advertisement

'She' hasnt become the oracle just because she criticised SF
    She IS entitled to her opinion.

Nobotty wrote: »
    I'd say the bunting and flags are out in Dundalk alright, should be a 2nd seat in Louth, who will they unseat next election?

Might get Gerry back as he will be guaranteed a seat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I don't know why she thought it was weird maybe it was she didn't want party stuff at her home. I know any club I belong too the club stuff stays at the club. I did once have a member call to my door to sign a petition for something or other and I thought that was strange. Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Like I said on another thread there are more serious issues in this country than what was said in a tweet.

So let's say for the sake of argument there's a new head of the PAC, he's a Muslim chap and is sympathetic to "the cause" of Alquida, he then sends out a celebratory tweet on the anniversary of an attack in Iraq in which many died.

The tweet is deleated ASAP, but only after delivering the "Dog whistle" to his fellow Alquida travellers.

Does it matter what he thinks or tweets, or are there more serious things to consider? All this in the context whereby our nearest & dearest neighbour had quite a few casualties in said attack.

For long-term relations between our neighbours and ourselves does it matter if some of our politicians send out periodic pro Alquida tweets?

Would it matter if a Spanish Politician sent out the odd celebratory Pro ETA-Atrocity tweet.

Another example might be, imagine if there was a UFF politican in the NI Assembly, would it matter if he or she tweeted a celebratory tweet on the anniversary of an attack on the PIRA or INLA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It was the post-election political rally at Storey's funeral which was the sinister one.

Not according to this lad...
    Fine Gael leader Mr Varadkar described the rallies as a "campaign of intimidation and bullying".

Instead of being dignified and looking after the tax payer we've Trump style character attacks and scaremongering from both FG and FF. The public aren't likely to react as FF/FG might like. It's jaded lads.

• Advertisement

That's really not the hot take you think it is, especially when SF have their very own ex-Sun employee on board as well......

qSn0X8h.jpg

Ah, you are making the mistake of thinking what SF does excuses or cancels out what FF/FG does.
    The former editor of the Sun is the government press secretary. An opposition party has a former Sun sports writer in the mix...try harder.

Bowie wrote: »
    Ah, you are making the mistake of thinking what SF does excuses or cancels out what FF/FG does.
    The former editor of the Sun is the government press secretary. An opposition party has a former Sun sports writer in the mix...try harder.

If you want to dip lower than the former editor of the Sun, a Sun sports writer is one way to go, probably only the Page 3 features editor below that.

If you want to dip lower than the former editor of the Sun, a Sun sports writer is one way to go, probably only the Page 3 features editor below that.

So the man responsible for over seeing the tone and content of the paper isn't as bad as a journo handing in a sports report? :rolleyes: Desperate.

The government press secretary is still a former Sun editor. The Sun and FG both have a dislike of the working class.

Do you know the Sun is the best paper for LOI news in the country. Course you didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Might get Gerry back as he will be guaranteed a seat

He hasn't gone away you know. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

So let's say for the sake of argument there's a new head of the PAC, he's a Muslim chap and is sympathetic to "the cause" of Alquida, he then sends out a celebratory tweet on the anniversary of an attack in Iraq in which many died.

The tweet is deleated ASAP, but only after delivering the "Dog whistle" to his fellow Alquida travellers.

Does it matter what he thinks or tweets, or are there more serious things to consider? All this in the context whereby our nearest & dearest neighbour had quite a few casualties in said attack.

For long-term relations between our neighbours and ourselves does it matter if some of our politicians send out periodic pro Alquida tweets?

Would it matter if a Spanish Politician sent out the odd celebratory Pro ETA-Atrocity tweet.

Another example might be, imagine if there was a UFF politican in the NI Assembly, would it matter if he or she tweeted a celebratory tweet on the anniversary of an attack on the PIRA or INLA?

How was the tweet celebratory?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Do you know the Sun is the best paper for LOI news in the country. Course you didn't

Tabloids are good for sports. Thats the only useful thing about them.

This fckuing twitter circus. Grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,341 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have to say, Leo nailed it this morning.

If you are a member SF, supporter or ally, they are all for LGBT rights etc

If an opponent, you are fair game..

This is exactly what Stanley was doing..

And the lame efforts to make out he is some LGBT advocate and champion means efforts all here. He may be, when it suits and makes sense!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

walshb wrote: »

And the lame efforts to make out he is some LGBT advocate and champion means efforts all here. He may be, when it suits and makes sense!!

Leo hasn't got much to come out swinging with - especially with your very last sentence, check back on Leo's speech and how he was againsy same sex marriage, until it was cool and trendy to be seen to support it.

Leo Varadkar and Charlie Bird did nothing for gay rights - but now that it's cool to be gay they embrace the rainbow flag

By his own admission he always put his career first, and political progression was more important than being personally open. This might be your prerogative if you're a private citizen, but it's bothersome when you and others are later going to hold yourself out as a figurehead and the icon for a cause. Varadkar was happy to let others do the heavy lifting of bringing gay rights forward before he could sail in at the end, and accept the worldwide plaudits for becoming the first gay Taoiseach.

I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,341 ✭✭✭✭walshb

McMurphy wrote: »
    Leo hasn't got much to come out swinging with - especially with your very last sentence, check back on Leo's speech and how he was againsy same sex marriage, until it was cool and trendy to be seen to support it.

Leo Varadkar and Charlie Bird did nothing for gay rights - but now that it's cool to be gay they embrace the rainbow flag
    I rest my case.

Missing the point again..

You can express views and opinions and ideas on very complex and polarising and
    contentious issues...

Nothing wrong with this at all..once you keep it dignified and respectful

The tweet is a completely separate discussion, but no surprise at all that these desperate type deflections are thrown up..

Leo didn't notice this at the time, or he may have but it was not enough for him to complain. Says a lot.

Let's leave Leo out of it, who's own track record suggests he can tolerate homophobia and denial of rights if it's the 'party/government line'.

How would Stanley even dream of working with LGBT people (and HIS track record shows that he has without doubt done more than most on those issues) after coming out with a very public 'homophobic attack' ?

Makes no sense, and the fact that no LGBT people seen it as a homophobic attack at the time also says a lot.

The faux woke element have been stirred to action here without a doubt and sadly they are more powerful and feared than actual genuine campaigners. They'll get their man, but at a cost to people in genuine need of defenders.

I see quite a few pointing out Leo's hypocrisy on this, but they are being drowned out by 'woke' noise.

contentious issues...

The tweet is a completely separate discussion, but no surprise at all that these desperate type deflections are thrown up..

It's not deflection, and I got the point completely, it just seems to me that the irony of typing the below out was completely lost on yourself.
    If you are a member SF, supporter or ally, they are all for LGBT rights etc,

He may be, when it suits and makes sense!!

Varadkar was against gay marriage until it suited him to be for it. It seems fierce odd no-one ever had an issue with Stanley's tweet until they needed to have an issue with it years after he tweeted it.

Not my fault the irony was lost on you I'm afraid.

It is the same on here. There are a number of posters who are fixated on Leo, and dog-whistle racism and homophobia is never far away. Very difficult for the mods as the nature of such is that it is deniable.

contentious issues...

Opposing same sex marriage does not necessarily equate to homophobia.

It is the same on here. There are a number of posters who are fixated on Leo, and dog-whistle racism and homophobia is never far away. Very difficult for the mods as the nature of such is that it is deniable.

Blanch you're talking complete and utter nonsense, I'd be the first person to call out homophobia or racism, but inconvenient truths aren't homophobia or racism.

I like how it's "difficult for the mods, as it's deniable" but it's easy for you to make the accusations.

Get up the yard with your completely spurious nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

OK,a couple of things,to wade through some of the nonsense
    1.Why do the FG lads give out about the focus the SF lads here have on their largest opposing party? What do you expect them to do? Critique flower arrangements maybe?
    2.yes gays do change their mind on marriage
    The owners of a café beside me are an example,it must be worse when you're in the closet like Leo was at the time of the Dáil speech some keep bringing up
    I get annoyed because bringing that up is a close relative of wokeism
    I'm beyond disgusted by that its unfair
    T.d's are people too
    3.SF need to see the dangers of wokeism and start holding workshops to adapt to it because its here for good and its done in the career of a very good SF t.d
    Brian Stanley didn't mean whats being inferred from his tweet,it was just him being a country person
    T.d's are people too
    Fourthly and again on Brian Stanley
    I think its insane to be going after a man for views fully held by all core Republicanism and around which the good Friday agreement tippy toed
    Its level 12 insincerity and of course gross hypocrisy given the effort lately to secure the BREXIT NI protocol

• Advertisement

Nobotty wrote: »
    OK,a couple of things,to wade through some of the nonsense
    1.Why do the FG lads give out about the focus the SF lads here have on their largest opposing party? What do you expect them to do? Critique flower arrangements maybe?
    2.yes gays do change their mind on marriage
    The owners of a café beside me are an example,it must be worse when you're in the closet like Leo was at the time of the Dáil speech some keep bringing up
    I get annoyed because bringing that up is a close relative of wokeism
    I'm beyond disgusted by that its unfair
    T.d's are people too
    3.SF need to see the dangers of wokeism and start holding workshops to adapt to it because its here for good and its done in the career of a very good SF t.d
    Brian Stanley didn't mean whats being inferred from his tweet,it was just him being a country person
    T.d's are people too
    Fourthly and again on Brian Stanley
    I think its insane to be going after a man for views fully held by all core Republicanism and around which the good Friday agreement tippy toed
    Its level 12 insincerity and of course gross hypocrisy given the effort lately to secure the BREXIT NI protocol

No-one made Leo come out and make a speech opposing same sex marriage while he was in the closet, he did it, and the subsequent U-turn for political capital, and to further his own career, that is the bloody point!

Advertisement