Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach shocked and dismayed at Sinn Fein TDs tweet on IRA attacks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Love this 'admitted' Indo style spin.

He said.... He wasn't hiding the fact nor was he being interrogated. Maty Lou said the same thing.
    YFG call around to houses too and FG send Civil Servants to the houses of Garda COmmissioners.
    You also have Party Whip systems that 'control' what party members do as well as stringent rules.

Your 'heavy' and 'intimidation# pile-on fell on it's arse blanch and you are not big enought to admit it.

Martin Browne admitted that Ms. O'Mahony may have felt intimidated.

#notanormalparty

• Registered Users Posts: 69,173 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »

#notanormalparty

He did the same thing as me and said she was entitled to feel that way. That doesn't for a second mean that was the intention of the visit.

I just went to a government office there as I had missed a renewal on a trading licence and 'felt intimidated' by the guy asking the questions.
    That was on me, not the guy asking the questions who was just doing his job.
    YFG arrived to a party members house as a mob, not a normal party too?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

He did the same thing as me and said she was entitled to feel that way. That doesn't for a second mean that was the intention of the visit.

I just went to a government office there as I had missed a renewal on a trading licence and 'felt intimidated' by the guy asking the questions.

What's this Francie?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If you were intimidated in a government office, you should use the complaints procedure. They are very quick at addressing it and getting back to you. Staff are expected to have had training in dealing sensitively with customers.

The intention of the visit was to get the post taken down. I am sure that was made clear to her.

McMurphy wrote: »
    What's this Francie?

I was looking for all the threads of outrage started about it at the time...can't find any funnily enough. :D
    TheJournal.ie revealed earlier this week that several members of the YFG national executive council visited O’Sullivan’s home last Friday and presented him with a letter demanding his resignation or warning that he would be forced out.

https://www.thejournal.ie/young-fine-gael-2414918-Oct2015/

• Advertisement

If you were intimidated in a government office, you should use the complaints procedure. They are very quick at addressing it and getting back to you. Staff are expected to have had training in dealing sensitively with customers.

The intention of the visit was to get the post taken down. I am sure that was made clear to her.

No, you are revealing your inability to interpret what people say.

I felt intimidated but 'that was on me, not the person asking the questions who was just doing his job'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Sure, I've had members of all parties call to my door, but they aren't calling on cold dark nights in the middle of Covid restrictions asking me to take down social media posts. No, that is the preserve of one political party.

#notanormalparty

You pushed the lie that heavies went around to intimidate her. That's not true.
    You are now trying a different angle.
    Obsessing over this non-story shows how poor FG are IMO.

Bowie wrote: »
    You pushed the lie that heavies went around to intimidate her. That's not true.
    You are now trying a different angle.
    Obsessing over this non-story shows how poor FG are IMO.

Including claiming the girl has Stockholm Syndrome.

Absolutely scurrilous behaviour rather than admitting he was wrong.

I got my initial interpretation wrong, like many people and admitted it. I listened to Stanley's explanation and I accept it, because to not accept it I have to ''add' something to the story. I.E. I don't have to lie or enhance.

Blanch is taking 'adding' to an extreme in order to make his version correct or believable.

That is why, when Christina debunked the version RTE and FG were spreading the heat came off the story IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Maybe Blanch knows something we don't and that why he is persisting with the heavies. Is he suggesting the girl is a liar or that she was intimidated into making that statement?

#notanormalparty

We know she didn't and asked FG to retract the spin. Give it up.

• Advertisement

I was looking for all the threads of outrage started about it at the time...can't find any funnily enough. :D

https://www.thejournal.ie/young-fine-gael-2414918-Oct2015/

That's intimidation.

t'was a chill blood moon lit night, when the ghoulish minions of YFG rapped on her door.... :)

#notanormalparty

Michael O'Regan formerly of the Irish Times parish proposing on radio there to 'cancel the centenary of commemorations' basically because the narrative cannot be controlled (i presume by people who support his narrative).

Utterly bizarre. As I said, I don't care if SF lose 30% points if this conversation is held and it looks like it may be if events in the Seanad are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

The Sinn Fein budgets have not been fully costed by the Department of Finance.

The Department of Finance provide costs and revenues for individual budget initiatives. Missing from the analysis is the most important part of analysis - the combination effect of different measures and the side-effects.

For example, the Department of Finance can provide a figure to Sinn Fein for a €10 rise in social welfare costs for existing social welfare claimants. However, if Sinn Fein then go and propose a €50 rise at five times the cost given by the Department of Finance, it meets the definition of being costed, but there is no estimation of the displacement costs.

So they are fully costed according to your conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't understand why so many of the shinners are so quick to Apologise for ira events.

Off the record they would agree with any attacks, so it's time they actually did what that guy Browne has done, and stop apologising for their beliefs.

Say they think the attacks were justified and let the public decide if they want to vote for you or not.

Fed up with everyone apologising for their beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Have I missed something, who's this guy Browne?

And would anyone other than SF voters disagree with FG on this point? I hate SF too, and for the same reason. Call me old fashioned but I just wouldn't celebrate atrocities, no matter who made the bomb.

We simply don't know Hamster, SF are polling at 30% when their 'ceiling' was supposed to be around 18% with some here. Seems to me that people don't factor it too highly when choosing or they don't have a problem with things that happened in the past, like FG and FF elect to do with events around us gaining independence when people died just as profoundly as they did in '69-'98.

Have I missed something, who's this guy Browne?

The Stanley story is not up to much today so yesterday FG floated the idea that SF sent 'the heavies' around to intimidate a female member to delete social media posts. This wasn't true and the woman in question asked FG to retract that lie.
    A SF member is her neighbour who actually called to her door on his own. The current spin is in the past more than one person from SF would often call to the door of other SF members.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

We simply don't know Hamster, SF are polling at 30% when their 'ceiling' was supposed to be around 18% with some here. Seems to me that people don't factor it too highly when choosing or they don't have a problem with things that happened in the past.

Probably correct for once.

The new SF voters don't know or care what happened.

You don't know that either.

We simply don't know Hamster, SF are polling at 30% when their 'ceiling' was supposed to be around 18% with some here. Seems to me that people don't factor it too highly when choosing or they don't have a problem with things that happened in the past, like FG and FF elect to do with events around us gaining independence when people died just as profoundly as they did in '69-'98.

It'll be interesting how the state commemorates that entire period. I don't think FF would appreciate MM downplaying it to appease anybody. Varadkar might apologise to the unionists or something.
    For me it's important that theres no whitewashing and no party tries to take ownership. It's our shared history.

• Advertisement

That's the kind of thinking has FF/FG having to join forces.
    Hint: Housing, homelessness, health, cronyism, wastes of tax payer money.

Many of the new SF voters would have voted FF/FG previously. They'll be delighted with the abuse FG are spluttering.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,315 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floppybits wrote: »
    Maybe Blanch knows something we don't and that why he is persisting with the heavies. Is he suggesting the girl is a liar or that she was intimidated into making that statement?

Not sure if a liar.

Bit I think it’s fair to say an attention seeking me-feiner!

She deliberately created this maelstrom for the party she chose to associate with..

walshb wrote: »
    Not sure if a liar.

Bit I think it’s fair to say an attention seeking me-feiner!

She deliberately created this maelstrom for the party she chose to associate with..

Was FG made up 'the heavies' lie not her.

It'll be interesting how the state commemorates that entire period. I don't think FF would appreciate MM downplaying it to appease anybody. Varadkar might apologise to the unionists or something.
    For me it's important that theres no whitewashing and no party tries to take ownership. It's our shared history.

My view too. Our shared divided history in a still divided present.

Either we talk in a grown up fashion about these things or we do this ****e every so often.

My view too. Our shared divided history in a still divided present.

Either we talk in a grown up fashion about these things or we do this ****e every so often.

I'm more concerned about how our government commemorate our history. Also possibly apologising so as not to upset people who march for a battle happened in 1690.

You don't know that either.

I think we can assume here..

It’s 2020...

Not 1970...

I’d wager a good bet that a lot of SF voters couldn’t give a toss about a United Ireland or Brits out..a lot of new and young voters who have known this life for all their lives..

Far far removed from decades ago..

Was FG made up 'the heavies' lie not her.

Ok.

She’s still nothing but an attention seeker who created this storm all of her own doing, and then publicly implicating her colleagues in the party..

I think we can assume here..

It’s 2020...

Not 1970...

I’d wager a good bet that a lot of SF voters couldn’t give a toss about a United Ireland or Brits out..a lot of new and young voters who have known this life for all their lives..

Far far removed from decades ago..

You go ahead and put that wedge on so. Doesn't change the fact that you or I don't know.

You go ahead and put that wedge on so. Doesn't change the fact that you or I don't know.

I know..

I think you know, too.

Times have changed. Huge differences between SF living in the now compared to SF from living decades ago..

Their overall goal is the same, but the times have drastically changed, as have the people, and the voters..

Many many weren’t even born during the height of the troubles..

• Advertisement

I know..

I think you know, too.

Times have changed. Huge differences between SF living in the now compared to SF from living decades ago..

Their overall goal is the same, but the times have drastically changed, as have the people, and the voters..

Many many weren’t even born during the height of the troubles..

The question was how they viewed the conflict/war. We don't know.
    SF have changed like every party I know has changed.

Advertisement