Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting a Lawn in December

Options
  • 01-12-2020 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Lad’s am I mad and will I do damage cutting my lawn in December. Lawn is new down about 6 months there is still sporadic growth in places fair few weeds too but nothing next year growth won’t out grow. I’ll wait until we get a run of dry days before doing anything obviously but curious what people think. I’ll be mulching any clippings..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

If your surface is fragile, you are going to cause ruts on the surface.
    if you get a frost after cutting your grass will be damaged.
    I'd suggest leave it and wait till spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Bedouin79

If your surface is fragile, you are going to cause ruts on the surface.
    if you get a frost after cutting your grass will be damaged.
    I'd suggest leave it and wait till spring.

Similarly to what my wife said... I know ye are both probably right... I’m itching to top the weeds and level it all. Surface Is good in 75% of the lawn but a couple of areas are light. Appreciate the reply...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just get out and cut it provided you are not making wheel ruts in mud and make sure you do it on a good drying day when the grass is quite dry. Raise the cut a bit, say one notch on most machines higher than normal. Don't worry about frost because it hardly makes a difference.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Bedouin79

Just get out and cut it provided you are not making wheel ruts in mud and make sure you do it on a good drying day when the grass is quite dry. Raise the cut a bit, say one notch on most machines higher than normal. Don't worry about frost because it hardly makes a difference.

Done and the better for it just before the rain, nice and tidy hopefully I can leave it be till February now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Grass never really stops growing here. No reason not to give it another cut. Again at this time of year cut it slightly higher.

I cut mine when you started this thread and I'm already thinking if we get some really good dry weather over Christmas I'll do it again.

Two reasons for tidying the grass up during the winter are that its a lot less work for the first proper cut in the spring and you help prevent the really course grasses taking over.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭jmreire

Mine is long over due a cut,, but has not gotten anywhere near dry enough,,,,,if I did mange to get it dry, I'd be setting the cut level at 6, which is only 1 level under the highest at 7,,, Its a big area, and if it goes too long with cutting, it will mean a big strimming job later on.....I've had to do this in the past, and the back ache comes back when ever I think about it.. So December or later, I'll cut when ever I get the chance.

Advertisement