Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring a company van in my name

• 01-12-2020 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Van is registered to the company I work for, is it possible to insure in my name?

The owner of the company has purchased a 2nd van, he said I can use the spare van for work if I insure it myself. Is that possible, or does he need to insure the van and put me down as a named driver / open drive.

Also if anyone can recommend someone for cheap van insurance, please do :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You can't insure someone else's vehicle. Your options are to put the vehicle in your own name or go as a named driver/open drive on the current owner's policy. If you go for the named/open route, remember that cover is in respect of the owners business and not some other activity you have in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Ompl

You can't insure someone else's vehicle. Your options are to put the vehicle in your own name or go as a named driver/open drive on the current owner's policy. If you go for the named/open route, remember that cover is in respect of the owners business and not some other activity you have in mind

I am aware that is the case with vehicles registered privately to the owner. However in this case the van is registered to a company, not an individual so I'm wondering if, as an employee of the company, can I insure the van under my name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Ompl wrote: »
    I am aware that is the case with vehicles registered privately to the owner. However in this case the van is registered to a company, not an individual so I'm wondering if, as an employee of the company, can I insure the van under my name.

No

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ompl wrote: »

No. And the company is a legal entity and holds property in it's own name.

Advertisement