Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Up to this point we have had 2 failed northerlies and 2 failed easterlies. Sure they brought some dustings,graupel/hail and delivered more than a dusting to a few locations but none of these events had the hallmark of a decent snowy period for Leinster or indeed Ulster. The northerlies were modified heavily by the Atlantic, the first easterly was a complete failure with no cold in place sourced from a mild (at the time) continent and the recent easterly we did not get even close to a direct hit and this resulted in the very tame streamers with daytime temperatures too high to maintain what fell on the ground.

I feel there is still time to pick ourselves up off the ground and back on the saddle for one or possibly two last chases before the middle of March.

The charts are already looking promising for perhaps another rollercoaster.

The journey begins with some possibly very mild weather, next week and into the following week has the potential to be the mildest week since the beginning of Winter with strong signals of a very dominant area of high pressure to settle over us.

The High pressure looks very strong on this mornings GEM which would lead to a lovely spell of fine weather and possibly some night time frosts if inversion takes place.

GEMOPEU00_240_1.png

This high could end up either going to Greenland to Scandinavia (that is the hope), which could bring a beasterly easterly back in our direction towards the end of February.

The GFS has a similar area of high pressure over us to the GEM at 240 hours.

GFSOPEU06_240_1.png

The GFS appears to move this high from Ireland/UK over towards Scandinavia by the 24th of February.

GFSOPEU06_282_1.png

By the 26th of February we have a nice Scandinavian high developing and winds are in from the east.

GFSOPEU06_330_1.png

On this current output this easterly is not a severely cold one, it may lead to some wintryness but the suggestion is there for another cold spell and it wouldn't take much to make this cold spell more deliverable at this late stage into the winter.

GFSOPEU06_330_2.png

By the 27th the high begins retrogression and moves towards Iceland/Greenland. winds still in from the E/NE

GFSOPEU06_366_1.png

We finish the GFS run with the high developing over Greenland and it remains very cold over Ireland with snow showers still going in eastern and northern areas.

GFSOPEU06_384_1.png

The GFS ensembles show the mild spell beginning on Sunday and lasting for possibly 10 days. However the GFS operational is a cold outlier for now, will be watching over the next week for it to hopefully gain more support.

ens_image.php?geoid=64969&var=201&run=6&date=2021-02-12&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

The extended range GFS is hinting at this cold spell at some stage between the 25th of February and the 8th of March and possibly another one closer to Saint Patricks Day. This is all extremely extended range stuff and bears alot of similarties to what unfolded end of February to the middle of March in 2018. Could we be in for another repeat? only time will tell but my interest is most definitely alerted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Gonzo I had lying snow from Friday 23rd January evening until that Tuesday afternoon. Depth fluctuated between 6 to 7cm throughout. I wouldn't call that failed.

Donegal storm also reported similar for Letterkenny. I'm 40 miles from Letterkenny. Friends in Ballybofey also similar. Thats East Donegal and West Tyrone that snow laying for 5 consecutive days and its failed apparently. Thats all I know of, I'm sure other parts of Ulster had similar. I don't see how 5 days of snow laying is failed?

I'm sure if you had 5 days of complete snow cover from this week and I called it failed repeatedly you would say differently. Its just inaccurate full stop.

Mod note: As I said in the above post a few places got more than a light covering but the vast majority of the country only saw transitional dustings/light coverings up to 2 or 3cm at the very most. The disappointment about the easterlies in particular has been well documented by many posters over recent days. The northerlies were not the classic ones delivering widespread snow that involved polar lows. Same for the easterly, Swords and surrounding areas had a morning of decent snow but that was so isolated and generally not seen anywhere else in Leinster. What I am looking for here is the possibility of another March 2018 delivering to a much wider portion of the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Well let’s pray that the high goes to Greenland this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Thursday 25 Feb - Thursday 11 Mar
    Into late February there is a signal for higher than average pressure to expand westwards leading to an increased chance of snow showers redeveloping in the east, for conditions in the north to become generally quite settled and for unsettled weather in the south, with disruptive snow possible. A similar picture continues into March, though milder conditions in the west look more likely to spread northwards.

UK MO long range forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭sjb25

Villain wrote: »
    ROFL

543200.png
    543201.png

Not sure we have the stomach for another rollercoaster!

No no no I’m not going ............. oh here strap me in one more time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭pad199207

Can’t do this again..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

pad199207 wrote: »
    Can’t do this again..

Must admit Im pretty deflated after this Spin , was happy to pack it all in and wait for the Spring but ....................................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Gonzo wrote: »
    Up to this point we have had 2 failed northerlies and 2 failed easterlies. Sure they brought some dustings,graupel/hail and delivered more than a dusting to a few locations but none of these events had the hallmark of a decent snowy period for Leinster or indeed Ulster. The northerlies were modified heavily by the Atlantic, the first easterly was a complete failure with no cold in place sourced from a mild (at the time) continent and the recent easterly we did not get even close to a direct hit and this resulted in the very tame streamers with daytime temperatures too high to maintain what fell on the ground.

I feel there is still time to pick ourselves up off the ground and back on the saddle for one or possibly two last chases before the middle of March.

The charts are already looking promising for perhaps another rollercoaster.

The journey begins with some possibly very mild weather, next week and into the following week has the potential to be the mildest week since the beginning of Winter with strong signals of a very dominant area of high pressure to settle over us.

The High pressure looks very strong on this mornings GEM which would lead to a lovely spell of fine weather and possibly some night time frosts if inversion takes place.

This high could end up either going to Greenland to Scandinavia (that is the hope), which could bring a beasterly easterly back in our direction towards the end of February.

The GFS has a similar area of high pressure over us to the GEM at 240 hours.

The GFS appears to move this high from Ireland/UK over towards Scandinavia by the 24th of February.

By the 26th of February we have a nice Scandinavian high developing and winds are in from the east.

On this current output this easterly is not a severely cold one, it may lead to some wintryness but the suggestion is there for another cold spell and it wouldn't take much to make this cold spell more deliverable at this late stage into the winter.

By the 27th the high begins retrogression and moves towards Iceland/Greenland. winds still in from the E/NE

We finish the GFS run with the high developing over Greenland and it remains very cold over Ireland with snow showers still going in eastern and northern areas.

The GFS ensembles show the mild spell beginning on Sunday and lasting for possibly 10 days. However the GFS operational is a cold outlier for now, will be watching over the next week for it to hopefully gain more support.

The extended range GFS is hinting at this cold spell at some stage between the 25th of February and the 8th of March and possibly another one closer to Saint Patricks Day. This is all extremely extended range stuff and bears alot of similarties to what unfolded end of February to the middle of March in 2018. Could we be in for another repeat? only time will tell but my interest is most definitely alerted.

Wouldn't be surprised if the end if the month delivered something. The middle third of feb seems devoid of cold spells over the last number of decades and here we are
    with milder weather is on the way for the next while.
    The first ten days of the month we had our chance but a failure. Maybe the end of the month will see it turn colder. 01,05,06 and 2018 spring to mind of late feb cold spells although 05 and 06 weren't great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Can’t do this again..

Absolutely agree. Every winter its always a case of so near yet so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭Calibos

Can’t do this again..

I can....I'm just not going to log into this forum 20 times a day, day in day out like I did for the last 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Can’t do this again..

You might have to:D

https://twitter.com/Petagna/status/1360218193936216069?s=19

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ECM extended going for a generally cold signal over most of Europe including Ireland during the first week of March. This is 3 weeks away so I wouldn't take the temperature anomalies to be exact in terms of positioning and depth of cold but the signal looks hopeful this far out.

render-worker-commands-69c6db9bf8-mzv6z-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-QpyWjN.png

GFS 18z really doubling down on the mild over the next 10 days, gets +10 uppers into the country with temperatures possibly reaching 15C in places, could we be in for a taste of February 2019 perhaps. An early taste of Spring once we get this weeks unsettled muck out of the way.

GFSOPEU18_216_2.png

GFSOPUK18_216_2.png

GFSOPUK18_210_5.png

Why can't we get warm plumes like this in Summer? Some of the milder outliers bring +12 uppers across the country and exceptionally mild to almost warm weather.

We finish up with high pressure over the country and cooling down with frosty nights.

GFSOPEU18_384_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,625 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

12z was even milder Gonzo, it showed 18C over Dublin on 23 February! National February record is 18.1C and February 2019 max was 17.6C.

Whatever the GFS has been on lately with these crazy runs both cold and now mild, I'd like to know!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Don’t like the look of that..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That high will then move to Greenland, hopefully. It would be a shock to the system if that happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Some parts of the country did get unseasonably high temperatures in Feb 2019 but paid for it during the following summer. Personally I would much prefer a return of some degree of cold weather at some stage of this month and hold off on any very mild weather until after St Patrick`s Day similar to what happened in Spring 2020..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭roosterman71

A weeks dry weather is what I'm after. Then let it horse snow for a week and bring on the spring time from March.

A weeks dry weather is what I'm after. Then let it horse snow for a week and bring on the spring time from March.

We may get our chance of much dryer weather from about the 22nd of February. Current models shows us on the mild side of the high pressure with temperatures lifting up and taking off (for the time of year).

GFSOPEU06_228_1.png

If this verifies we could see temperatures possibly reach 15 or 16C under optimal conditions especially if there is lots of sunshine.

GFSOPUK06_270_5.png

Grass growth would definitely get going again from this point and if the dry weather persists it would be a good time to start cutting the grass again.

Towards the end of February we stay under high pressure but start to move towards the colder side of the ridge with daytime temperatures lowering to more seasonal values and night frosts and possibly fog becoming more dominant.

GFSOPEU06_384_1.png

My guess is the positioning of this high will play a big part in determining how mild or cool we get and it remains to be seen if we will eventually lock into a colder spell during the first week of March but currently it does not look like we will get a cold spell to finish February. Plenty of time for this to change.

The GFS 6z operational run is generally one of the mildest runs in the entire set, particularly towards the final days of February which is a very definite mild outlier.

ens_image.php?geoid=64969&var=201&run=6&date=2021-02-13&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

Over the next week we do appear to slowly go back to a cooling trend with perhaps a mini cool spell around the 17th to 20th of February. This is from cold zonality rather than anything from the north or east and may lead to wintry showers in the north-west, especially if this cool spell gets upgraded closer to the time.

After this the high pressure gets going and the temperatures really lift up. I am confident we will get a good spell of high pressure but I am very unsure about this lengthy spell of unseasonably mild temperatures during the final 10 days of February.

Just like very cold spells in FI, this mild will most likely moderate to more normal values, especially if the high pressure ends up going further north or west earlier than expected rather than staying just to our south.

The GFS has played around with some very cold weather recently which is now replaced with this very mild outlook. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a model wobble happen at some point over the next week to something colder. We still have a few cold outliers in the final days of February getting close to freezer territory and while they are outliers I wouldn't be surprised to see these gaining more support by this time next week.

• Advertisement

GFS 18z is really going for the blowtorch, will be interesting to see how right or wrong this verifies and if it verified temperature records could be broken in parts of Scotland with 17C in the far north-east of Scotland on the 24th of February. Crazy to think this is possible when Dublin struggled to get 17C throughout much of July and August 2020 with all the cloud, mist and rain.

GFSOPUK18_258_5.png

From February 20th to the start of March it's mostly low to mid teen temperatures for Ireland with a similar level of warmth at times to February 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭esposito

GFS 18z is really going for the blowtorch, will be interesting to see how right or wrong this verifies and if it verified temperature records could be broken in parts of Scotland with 17C in the far north-east of Scotland on the 25th of February. Crazy to think this is possible when Dublin struggled to get 17C throughout much of July and August 2020 with all the cloud, mist and rain.

GFSOPUK18_258_5.png

From February 20th to the start of March it's mostly low to mid teen temperatures for Ireland with a similar level of warmth at times to February 2019.

Oh it will verify alright. We’re most likely in for exceptionally mild weather for the next two weeks. ECM 12z was showing the blowtorch also. Not my cup of tea obviously but as long as we get a period of dry weather I’ll take it.

Have a feeling we will still have a cold March though. Who knows what the weather gods have in store for us.

esposito wrote: »
    Oh it will verify alright. We’re most likely in for exceptionally mild weather for the next two weeks. ECM 12z was showing the blowtorch also. Not my cup of tea obviously but as long as we get a period of dry weather I’ll take it.

Have a feeling we will still have a cold March though. Who knows what the weather gods have in store for us.

Most likely it will be 1st or 2nd week in March for another cold spell if we get one. A cold spell like the one we just had won't cut it in March. We're at the stage now where we need that direct hit cold spell with sustained -10 to -14 uppers right through the country for several days along with much better instability if we're to get one last decent bite in the first half of March.However we've now missed the boat for a week long sub zero spell without daytime snow melt at this point. If we can't get that direct hit cold spell i'd rather it just stays mild at this point. I've had more than my fair share of low level cold and damp, marginal, wet and windy weather at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

GFS 18z is really going for the blowtorch, will be interesting to see how right or wrong this verifies and if it verified temperature records could be broken in parts of Scotland with 17C in the far north-east of Scotland on the 24th of February. Crazy to think this is possible when Dublin struggled to get 17C throughout much of July and August 2020 with all the cloud, mist and rain.

GFSOPUK18_258_5.png

Could be some significant flooding up in Eastern Scotland with such rapid thaw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lp's dominating, mild in general and wet if not very wet outlook.

Accumulation chart just a very rough guide but some very wet spells coming up from a lot of frontal activity coming in off the Atlantic. Hopefully though some half dry days here and there to get out and about.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

BfiaMlg.gif

tCGot9N.gif

l8jTndF.png

Summer 2021 can only be better than last year, however I didn't expect it to start in 9 days time!

GFSOPUK18_210_5.png

GFSOPUK18_234_5.png

GFSOPUK18_258_5.png

Summer 2021 can only be better than last year, however I didn't expect it to start in 9 days time!

As you yourself stated yesterday those charts will most likely be downgraded in the coming days in so far as unseasonably high temperatures are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Hopefully sign of things to come.

Snow prospects are gone, bring on the heatwave now until about October please.

sdanseo wrote: »
    Hopefully sign of things to come.

Snow prospects are gone, bring on the heatwave now until about October please.

Snowball`s chance in hell of that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Snowball`s chance in hell of that happening.

Seems a snowball's chance in hell is somewhat optimistic compared with a snowball's chance in Ireland, I'll take it :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement