Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ECH0-240.GIF?05-0
    According to the ECM The Siberan express is at the Station on Mainland Europe awaiting the signal to head this way in 10 days time

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Tonight's ECM shows how the reset could help get us out of this rut. Vortex displaced across the Atlantic giving us a mobile phase but moves through to Siberia/Scandinavia. This rids us of the Ural high that has served to keep proper cold out of Europe so far.

And once the energy moves through the Atlantic, the ECM wants another bout of amplification towards Greenland;

Meanwhile the real beast marches west;

No guarantees obviously. But this type of evolution seems more promising compared to what felt like forcing an unsuitable set up with out current cold spell. One to watch while the wind and rain is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Darwin

Starkly different view of things between the main models this evening out in FI. ECM keeping the high over us and potentially incoming cold from the East at 240 hours, GFS has the atlantic kicking the door down and zonality all the way. Seems to be a bit of role reversal going on between these two models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Darwin wrote: »
    Starkly different view of things between the main models this evening out in FI. ECM keeping the high over us and potentially incoming cold from the East at 240 hours, GFS has the atlantic kicking the door down and zonality all the way. Seems to be a bit of role reversal going on between these two models.

Is Atlantic kicking-the-door-down-zonality not just default FI GFS though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Darwin

Nah, GFS usually teases with winter wonderland eye candy this time of year..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Is Atlantic kicking-the-door-down-zonality not just default FI GFS though?

I think what we will get next next week is an interlude. Hopfully a little push from the north east after that will continue that momentum. Although the models will say one thing and the weather might not want to play ball at that range anyhow.

One positive note is the cold will be in place in scandi and much of europe then i would imagine. If we are looking east for our weather by then metre sticks at the ready for depths of snow. No cheating now level area and keep it straight ; )

Alot of ifs and buts as always there but we may see the sneachta at our doorsteps tonight. Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

More signs of impacts from the SSW on the GFS Para in FI, it shows the cold to the east knocking at the door, but it might be England's door instead of ours. I really hope this is not the case as it reflects the UK Met Office long range. I suppose looking on the bright side that colder air could make it way here eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've stopped taking any serious notice of the GFS, ECM has been much more reliable for months, and it has the advantage of not extending into F1 territory thus not setting up false hopes/fears/expectation.

I've stopped taking any serious notice of the GFS, ECM has been much more reliable for months, and it has the advantage of not extending into F1 territory thus not setting up false hopes/fears/expectation.

The ECM has better verification stats overall, but the GFS was the first to suggest a milder turn towards mid month when other models were less inclined to. It does spot trends sometimes, so it is interesting to see the para version running with this over the last couple of runs. Also that it maybe reflective of the thinking of the UK Met Office long range forecast. I think we are long enough in the game not to take any fi runs too seriously.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS playing around with the idea of cold for end of January. This is very much a cold outlier, the GFS operational is almost on it's own with this one. Gets the -9 uppers over Leinster and -10 through the UK.

GFSOPEU06_336_1.png

a few of the other runs are trying to have a go too. If this was to come off it would be likely a good deal colder than the spell we are experiencing now.

GFSP19EU06_384_2.png

All the runs are fairly consistent at having large reserves of severe cold to our north and north-east just waiting to be tapped into. It could be a few weeks before we tap into the cold again but at least next time their should be much better source of cold air to tap into as long as we get a fairly direct hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yes temperatures really starting to drop in Scandinavia over recent days and into the coming week. Oslo constantly between -5 and -12 degrees. Stockholm now sub zero each day. Central Sweden and Norway now heading towards -15 to -20.

Central and Eastern Europe cooling down too but nowhere near the cold of Scandinavia. The likes of Berlin, Warsaw, Prague etc all hovering around 0 which is colder than recent weeks but still nothing special.

Anything coming from the Scandinavia direction would be most welcome

Gonzo wrote: »
    GFS playing around with the idea of cold for end of January. This is very much a cold outlier, the GFS operational is almost on it's own with this one. Gets the -9 uppers over Leinster and -10 through the UK.

GFSOPEU06_336_1.png

a few of the other runs are trying to have a go too. If this was to come off it would be likely a good deal colder than the spell we are experiencing now.

GFSP19EU06_384_2.png

All the runs are fairly consistent at having large reserves of severe cold to our north and north-east just waiting to be tapped into. It could be a few weeks before we tap into the cold again but at least next time their should be much better source of cold air to tap into as long as we get a fairly direct hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Could someone post me a link to where I could get a weather chart from 7th/8th February 2009

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

latest GFS is playing around with cold more and more, not so much the operational but quite a few of the other runs are poised to unleash the freezer into the last 10 days of January. Some of them get the cold very close to Ireland while others have it just missing us and passing through the UK and continent instead. All of them show significant cold pooling to our north and east.

just for fun and to keep spirits up i'll post a few here:

GFSC00EU12_384_1.png

GFSP06EU12_384_1.png

GFSP16EU12_384_1.png

GFSP21EU12_384_1.png

GFSP26EU12_384_1.png

Hopefully we will continue the trend of more runs becoming colder over the next week. It looks very possible that the freezer could be unleashed into the last week of January, but it is also possible that we may miss out on it if they push down to our east. Plenty of model watching ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Jin luk wrote: »
    Could someone post me a link to where I could get a weather chart from 7th/8th February 2009

Main page: https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/reanalysis.php?model=cfsr

Your requested chart: https://www.wetterzentrale.de/reanalysis.php?jaar=2009&maand=2&dag=7&uur=1800&var=1&map=1&model=cfsr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

More signs of impacts from the SSW on the GFS Para in FI, it shows the cold to the east knocking at the door, but it might be England's door instead of ours. I really hope this is not the case as it reflects the UK Met Office long range. I suppose looking on the bright side that colder air could make it way here eventually.

If we could have today/this weeks weather but slightly colder, I would be content with that. These systems just bring in warm sectors and cold rain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

GFSOPEU06_336_1.png

GFSP19EU06_384_2.png

What would make it so much colder? 850hPa temps were -8c on Tuesday but we still managed a 5c high.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Would anyone know what were the 850s temps back at the coldest part of 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

I have a recollection of -12 and -15 over some parts of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

bazlers wrote: »
    Danno wrote: »

Only 4 posts back. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

gfs-0-330_uvp7.png

ohh-wow-gif-11013093

• Advertisement

Just for fun...

image.png.d9a8bf00ee6ffa184fd36b78d064689a.png

That would do nicely. Maybe if we all say bank together it will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Just for fun...

image.png.d9a8bf00ee6ffa184fd36b78d064689a.png

That would do nicely. Maybe if we all say bank together it will happen

Can’t do. Cork snow shield operating.

Can’t do. Cork snow shield operating.

Cork has had its turn, now it's my turn:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cork has had it's turn, now it's my turn:pac:

Can't believe you Nacho! Unless the whole country is covered then no good! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭pauldry

A lot of indicators pointing at a mild week next week or maybe mild 4 days and then the cold biting back. Surely there is more snow in this Winter. Even though Ice is exciting like this morning I prefer snow. Remember some Winters saying oh look there was a light frost on the car so at least this Winter has been a vast improvement on that.

pauldry wrote: »
    A lot of indicators pointing at a mild week next week or maybe mild 4 days and then the cold biting back. Surely there is more snow in this Winter. Even though Ice is exciting like this morning I prefer snow. Remember some Winters saying oh look there was a light frost on the car so at least this Winter has been a vast improvement on that.

yep next week looks mild, 11 or 12C is possible in places next week particularly Thursday, could feel quite warm compared to the low to mid single digits we've had for the past 2 weeks. Turns cooler again after that.

There are some very cold runs from this mornings GFS output but it remains to be seen if Ireland gets some real cold after next week, much of north-eastern Europe looks like it will go into the freezer within the next two weeks.

ens_image.php?geoid=64969&var=201&run=6&date=2021-01-07&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

next weeks mild push is well defined in the ensemble for next week and the cooling shortly afterwards. What i'd like to see over the next few days is more of the runs going colder from 19th January onwards. Still alot of scatter in the latest models with an equal level of mild and cold runs. Hopefully we don't end up with a 2012 situation with most of Europe and the UK in the freezer while Ireland stays on the mild side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

bazlers wrote: »

These were the coldest 850 temps back in 2010. They were more in the -7 to -9 range throughout the rest of the month, but this was the coldest it got.

2010120112_3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Those charts 14 days out are heartbreakers if I ever saw one. That dip will be just on the horizon all the way to Paddy's Day :D

Still alot of scatter in the latest models with an equal level of mild and cold runs. Hopefully we don't end up with a 2012 situation with most of Europe and the UK in the freezer while Ireland stays on the mild side.

That is a distinct possibility if we take into consideration the UK Met Office long range forecast. Also the ECM 46 suggests it. It would be great just for once if Ireland was the boundary, but that could lead to ecstasy for some and heartache for others. Lets hope, as you say, that freezer runs become more prevalent with all of Ireland under a Siberian airflow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭Artane2002

FI is starting to look a bit interesting again, we need those heights over Iberia to get lost though.

gfs-0-288.png?12

gfs-1-288.png?12

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement