Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Gonzo wrote: »
    I see someone is trying to preorder some Valentines Day snow white stuff.
    Will wishes come through or will our hearts be broken!

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

The 144 GEM perts actually don't look too bad. Mean is good too.

gens_panel_aqh6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,778 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

E3BC4CF8-0408-421B-AAFB-8322F89D266F.png.6703ba5f624e3d97bbaee22fe95cac45.png

Give it some love. This run will verify:pac:

UKMO has an easterly in at 96 hours

UW96-21.GIF?31-04

• Advertisement

GFS following the trend all be it slightly later

gfs-0-192.png?0

gfs-0-198.png?0

Looking at the control run a definite trend here...

gens-0-1-168.png

I would be amazed if the ECM was not significantly different this morning.

The UKMO is unlikely to be wrong at this timeframe. It seems all roads lead to at least a brief cold spell, just some take the longer route to get there. If the ECM refuses to budge then it may pull off one of its biggest coups against the other models in recent times, but i suspect it will. Its handling of that low at day 5 on the previous run just does not seem right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Ecm says no. Euro high towards end of run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

I've kept watch of the ECM. Consistently not having easterly in FI. Builds the dreaded Euro high, which means very mild Southwest winds. I won't say winter is over, but the well built lady is clearing her throat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

I've kept watch of the ECM. Consistently not having easterly in FI. Builds the dreaded Euro high, which means very mild Southwest winds. I won't say winter is over, but the well built lady is clearing her throat...

I guess there is still time for upgrades but hoping at present it could be a kitten from the east.

bazlers wrote: »
    I guess there is still time for upgrades but hoping at present it could be a kitten from the east.

Things can change, it's the weather. GFS has been bullish about some firm of Easterly in FI. ECM has not. I'm only going by this winters pattern which has suggested easterlies previously but they have failed to deliver. Here we have another attempt. Unless the models converge one way or the other I'm going to err on the side of caution. We'll know who was right or wrong over the next few days. Buckle up.

Fi has been promising extremes since December
    Tomorrow is February
    The best available reality has been marginal muck and an awful awful lot of rain
    That should tell us something

ECM is moving the right direction. Patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Fi has been promising extremes since December
    Tomorrow is February
    The best available reality has been marginal muck and an awful awful lot of rain
    That should tell us something

Exactly - and until that Azores High is gone from the 120hrs charts we'll just be getting more of the same

Patience

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭pad199207

Patience

It’s February tomorrow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

February is statistically the coldest month of the year, what's the issue? Its ideal for snow
    pad199207 wrote: »
    It’s February tomorrow :rolleyes:

ECM was an outlier again. End of run went crazy

February is statistically the coldest month of the year, what's the issue? Its ideal for snow

I know and fingers crossed we get what we want in February. Hopefully our patience will pay off :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

ECM was an outlier again. End of run went crazy

0z GFS Op was an outlier too. Mean T850hpa getting to -9 over Dublin, staying sub -5 for 6-7 days.

GEM and UKMO ops very good. Wait and see I suppose.

The ECM op is not that well supported by its own members, but after three consistent runs its very possible its handling of the low at day 5 is correct.
    If the ECM is to have egg on its face we need to see the UKMO long range text not change this afternoon to reflect the ECM op run. If it does then its curtains for this cold spell. If it does not change, then i'd be very surprised if the ECM is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I know I've said this already, but with such inconsistencies right now, and Met.ie's ultimate preference for the ECM, God love whoever is doing the RTE forecast shortly ("...by next weekend and into the early days of the following week expect mild south-westerly winds and dry weather with high pressure building, though there might be a touch of strong easterly winds bringing the occasional 15 degree drop in temperature with associated blizzards....")

The ECM op is not that well supported by its own members, but after three consistent runs its very possible its handling of the low at day 5 is correct.
    If the ECM is to have egg on its face we need to see the UKMO long range text not change this afternoon to reflect the ECM op run. If it does then its curtains for this cold spell. If it does not change, then i'd be very surprised if the ECM is right.

Another weekend, another headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This low over Britain is so stubborn but it would not take much for it to drift further south and bring an easterly in relatively quickly, conversely it could go the other way but one to watch -

gfs-0-114.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lots of spread in the ECMWF ensembles this morning but what's clear is that the operational run was very at the top of the ensemble spread from day 8-10

Interestingly a good cluster of perhaps 30% of members bring 850hPa temps below to around -10 from day 8-10

Patience

Is in short supply here...

GFS and GEM continue in the same vein while ECM goes off on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭Artane2002

the GFS ensembles seem to be getting better with each run but the ECM won't budge. both the UKMO and ECM are supposed to be great models so clearly one of them has gone horribly wrong, my money is on the UKMO being wrong knowing our luck though logic would state the ECM is the wrong one.

• Advertisement

Artane2002 wrote: »
    the GFS ensembles seem to be getting better with each run but the ECM won't budge. both the UKMO and ECM are supposed to be great models so clearly one of them has gone horribly wrong, my money is on the UKMO being wrong knowing our luck though logic would state the ECM is the wrong one.

Going on past standoffs between the two, the likely resolution is they meet halfway, which probably means deep cold is less likely to make it here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement