Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

As alluded to above if that cut off low that stalls near us mid-week doesn't sink south we could have a dreadful few weeks of cold rain. We will know much more by Wednesday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

esposito wrote: »
    How come we are all taking the GEM so seriously lately? I don't recall this in years gone by.
    I'm guessing its verification stats have improved. (Probably answered my own question there):D

The GEM was being taken seriously as it has performed very well at times over the past year and when both it and the GFS were predicting a possible beast next weekend confidence begins to grow despite the ECM not on board. But now the GEM has backed off completely, we still have the ECM which has never really gone for a cold spell at any stage and the GFS is more or less on it's own now which is throwing the cold spell into serious doubt. The pub run tonight could easily flip to an ECM/GEM outlook and if that happens then we will be back to square one looking for a cold spell sometime later in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Artane2002

esposito wrote: »
    How come we are all taking the GEM so seriously lately? I don't recall this in years gone by.
    I'm guessing its verification stats have improved. (Probably answered my own question there):D

it got an upgrade I think in the last year, it is now performing better than the GFS believe it or not!

Regardless of what happens in the rest of this output the 96hr is an improvement on last nights 12z with positioning of low @ 96hrs.

Let's hope the rest of run reaps the rewards of this low being positioned better

ECM1-96.GIF

Not sure what to make of the 120hr chart,

Probably useless to look beyond this time frame though as so much uncertainty around this low and the ramifications of how it develops

I'd tentatively say it is a positive move from the EC tonight

ECM1-120.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Low heading north east rather than south where we want it to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,778 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ECM close to magic @144. Not sure it will make it.

don't think it'll make it. northern blocking is noticeably stronger on this run compared to the 0z though..

Yea such small margins, any positive shift could see us being thrown into the midst of decent cold spell in 5 days time.

An improvement on the 0z, not there yet but we're getting there.

ECM1-168.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Certainly the GFS has been pretty consistent and the ECM less so. If GEM had stayed on board you would have had more confidence in the easterly outcome coming to pass

the ECM is okayish I suppose, I'm no expert but if I'm reading it correctly then I can see it being quite snowy (or slushy!) for some?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

All very messy across all models and as I said earlier fraught with danger! Best thing for now is to remain firmly seated to the fence!
    Could be snowy nirvana or damp squib!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

The ECM is a massive improvement on the 12z yesterday. So we have the big 3 models all giving some sort of very cold outcome for the weekend. GEM not onbaord but if we had the choice of one model to not be on board i think GEM would be top of that list. In general i'm liking the trends without getting too deep into the finer details of each run.

It's a step in the right direction alright but not quite there yet. Needs only relatively minor changes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

As a side note Scotland looks poised for huge snow totals this week! Might be of benefit as winds do come from this direction end of week. Going by countryfile it snows all week over Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

we could have a dreadful few weeks of cold rain.

Don't EVER say such things in my presence again.

giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e47jhi73d24m91tkf7rj2qvi0zmga3rh7j6j6ul2ite&rid=giphy.webp

New Moon

I thought it was a low blow meself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It's a step in the right direction alright but not quite there yet. Needs only relatively minor changes though.

So it's close, but no cigar?

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Don't EVER say such things in my presence again.

giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e47jhi73d24m91tkf7rj2qvi0zmga3rh7j6j6ul2ite&rid=giphy.webp

*sleety rain

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    So it's close, but no cigar?

Maybe half a cigar

It's going the right way though so hopefully tomorrow should look even better

• Registered Users Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well it was not what i was expecting. It's similar to the GEM , just that the ECM manages to get colder air in

Some don't get there easterly, but there could well be some snow about instead of cold rain, which was all we were likely to get with its last run. So this run has to be seen as improvement in that regard. With a few tweaks it could have been a stellar run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Certainly the ECM moved towards the GFS and not the other way round as most of us feared

Right I've made my mind up on this
    The solution has more tweaks to come in the same direction in my opinion
    The trend seems to be forwards and backwards but momentum along the same road to the country eventually covered in minus 10s and 11's about mid fdbruaryish I'd expect maybe sooner
    Less marginality with each brush with cold as they come,from here on , I would think before the main event(s)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

The ECM is better than this mornings run for coldies, in as far as it dispenses with the Euro high in FI. Instead, cold rain, days of it, look likely. Not snow. It's a terrible run. I don't see any positives. We're simply not getting any fetch from the East, and even there the bitter cold has retreated.

Extremely good news from the ECMWF ENS

Very significant support for a decent cold shot 6-9 Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Darwin

I see -8c uppers next Saturday on the 12z ECM, so not a complete disaster if you want cold. I do agree with the above sentiment regarding lack of a deep cold pool to tap into, but given the disagreement in the models at present, nothing can be ruled in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

ECM mean looking very good. -8 850s from early Saturday

EDM1-120.gif

EDM1-168.gif

EDM1-192.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Right I've made my mind up on this
    The solution has more tweaks to come in the same direction in my opinion
    The trend seems to be forwards and backwards but momentum along the same road to the country eventually covered in minus 10s and 11's about mid fdbruaryish I'd expect maybe sooner
    Less marginality with each brush with cold as they come,from here on , I would think before the main event(s)

And I thought this was supposed to be the technical model discussion forum ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement