Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

We need siobhan Ryan with her frust and copious amounts of snow in the main there.

All the while remaining bitterly cold there throughout.

I get excited when Siobhan says 'copious amounts' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i get excited when i see Siobhan. I seen her in the flesh once!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Arduach wrote: »
    I get excited when Siobhan says 'copious amounts' ;)

Relentless....

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Arduach wrote: »
    I think little Snowy Old Me has to be Dunphy..'the 12z GFS was a good run, not a great one'.

Nacho, the voice of reason, Bill O'Herlihy.. 'Well I for one would be happy with 4 frosty days.. And it must be said that this cold spell could last beyond Wednesday John?'

Posts a chart ft. huge snow depths for Ireland: "We'll leave it there so!"

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

No Panic ... all is good:)

kqwKVHc.png

I like the wiggles Captain Snow plenty of disturbance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

I get excited when Siobhan says 'copious amounts'
    Relentless....

Once you hear "Accumulations" bring a tear to a glass eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I'd rather no snow for anyone than loads of snow in Cork.
    Seriously though, this is a little disappointing for the East. Hopefully it's way off.

541954.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Seriously though, this is a little disappointing for the East. Hopefully it's way off.

541954.png

I’ll take it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

541954.png

Omg imagine after all this buildup Dublin get's less than an inch. I will hold my breath big time!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the snowdepth charts cannot be taken seriously at this point, they will change another 7 times between now and Sunday based on the ECM.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Omg imagine after all this buildup Dublin get's less than an inch. I will hold my breath big time!

I do worry they have built it up too much as well. Cold air streams can be dry too depending on the air pressure.

In the past Northerly’s here have brought no snow, just sunshine. So it’s worth bearing in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Okay lads, back to the weather charts please!

P5, P6, P9, P10, P11, P16, P17, P24, P26, P29 OF THE 12Z GFS are decent members with the low staying south on Wednesday evening. Thats a 33% return rate at least a few more keeping it only making some inroads... all is not lost beyond Wednesday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Well if there is any way to end a cold spell that is a huge dump of snow and stormy weather to follow !

All in FI of course , nothing certain but something is brewing would think. Has been showing a system or systems now for a good few runs, of course track strength and what cold pool is in place will all be fine tuned over the coming days, makes for interesting viewing .

52D1ZQY.gif

e7mMSTd.gif

Mha80gl.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The pub run is updating and it is marginally colder than the 12z.

It's also keeping the -10 uppers fringing into the country through Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Jizique

Gonzo wrote: »
    The pub run is updating and it is marginally colder than the 12z.

BBC news 10 day forecast giving it socks for the U.K. at the weekend, pretty open on it continuing into next week

-9 uppers clinging into Leinster till Wednesday evening with milder air making inroads. This is minimum 24 hour extras cold compared to the 12z.

That big low in the Atlantic is having more trouble moving east compared to the 12z as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Much better temps down here. We get under the -8s and lower for 2 days, we were barely hitting -8 on the last run. Cold travelling further west.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

great streamer activity from Louth to Wicklow from Sunday Evening on that GFS 18Z with Dublin/Wicklow in the constant firing line too :D

Just have to wait and see...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

GFS para a much better run than it's big brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Dazler97

541954.png

I'm not liking those charts, no snow for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,778 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

-9 uppers clinging into Leinster till Wednesday evening with milder air making inroads. This is minimum 24 hour extras cold compared to the 12z.

That big low in the Atlantic is having more trouble moving east compared to the 12z as well.

This will be chopping and changing for the next couple of days. It's completely open as to whether the Atlantic breaks through by Thursday.

You're spot on about temperatures. They are getting colder bit by bit with each run.

The model is really struggling to get the Atlantic in. While we do get milder air that low appears to be heading back towards Canada, while we get a push of mild air up from Biscay instead. The return of mild is starting to look a bit flimsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,874 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

161376678_gfsnh-0-180(1).png.a94e0e145a39ddf180c6daa1fdb47255.png

Those weak heights are disrupting the lows it looks like! Atlantic return delayed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Rougies

Bigger picture looks much the same, but baby steps in the right direction are very welcome. Slight changes run after run can add up to a significant difference by next week if they keep going in the same direction.

The model is really struggling to get the Atlantic in. While we do get milder air that low appears to be heading back towards Canada, while we get a push of mild air up from Biscay instead. The return of mild is starting to look a bit flimsy.

Kermit could be right, the GFS might be coming round to the idea of the UKMO. We might find in the next couple of days the cold is extended!
    Let's see what the members looks like. Hopefully this is the start of a trend we can build on.

The GFS P says no to the Atlantic and keeps us near the freezer up to next Friday.

gfs-1-204.png?18

Dazler97 wrote: »
    I'm not liking those charts, no snow for me

As was mentioned earlier those charts will change numerous times, also they don't really take into account features that may pop up. We will always get the crumbs from an easterly, but if a trough or two pops up we might get some snow moving westwards. In any case the longer the cold spell goes on the higher the chance of us getting in on the action at some point from a frontal feature or perhaps from a change in the wind direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,778 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I see the 850hpa mean by 120 hours on the GFS ensembles is down to -10 or just abouts for Leinster. A drop of 1.5 to 2c on 12z mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Advertisement

The warmth up from the south looks like it may be trying to get to Scandinavia. Well into FI land by this stage and that low is still in the Atlantic just sitting there.

Quiet a strange looking chart. Blocking also looks better compared to the 12z from the same day.

GFSOPEU18_270_1.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement