Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghz requirement help

Options
  • 02-12-2020 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

This may be a stupid question but im really not knowledgeable regarding computers.

Basically, Im doing an online examination next week and for the examiner software requirements its noted that your computer must have a 2.0 ghz but ive just checked mine and it has a 1.90 ghz. Is this a difference that is going to cause me to be unable to download the software? My laptop is quite old but its running fine in terms of speed. Ive recently cleaned it up by uninstalling several programmes/games etc that ive downloaded through out the years.

The processor is i3 4030u is that makes any difference. Would appreciate any help before i go out and buy a new laptop!

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The requirement is most likely for a much older CPU with a single core clocked at 2 GHz.
    Your i3 4030u has two cores so should be just fine. Modern multicore CPUs aren't much faster in terms of clock speed but are much more performant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭shano_88

Many thanks for that.

Does having two cores essentially mean it can operate faster than the 1.90 ghz. The requirements are attached so its not really clear at all. I suspect you're probably right though knowing the ACCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

looking at the spec it is for a pc from the windows 7 era so yours should be just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭shano_88

Thanks Skerries.

On page 4 it has the windows 10 recommendations which are the exact same. I think it should work, hopefully anyway!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Those are some dinosaur requirements. You won't have an issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement