Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K Monitor

Options
  • 02-12-2020 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭

Hello,

What will be the options to purchase a monitor in Ireland after Brexit.
    Will we be limited to dell.ie and brick-and-mortar stores?
    Should we get them from Germany, or France?

I would like to purchase a 4K gaming monitor in the near future. I've had my eyes set on the LG 27GN950, after the positive reviews on YT. However, apart from Overclockers, where they had it listed as Pre-Order since September, but with an ever fluid shipping date (currently end of January), I have yet to find a seller online that would deliver this monitor.

Anyone has ordered monitors from the continent? What has your experience been?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Amazon.de would be your best bet. Any of the European Amazon's will deliver to Ireland. Germany tends to have the best prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I found the ASUS XG27UQ in stock on caseking.de, placed the order, and a couple of hours later they emailed me to tell me that it's not actually in stock, and they have no clue when they would get it back in stock, but if I wait, they will definitely send me one when they have it.
    I have emailed them this morning to cancel the order and refund the payment, and I've yet to hear from them.

I don't quite understand these stores who take your money and expect you to wait without a possible delivery time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

JoyPad wrote: »

I don't quite understand these stores who take your money and expect you to wait without a possible delivery time.

Have you met 2020?...Seeing you on similar threads about the various vapour releases this year and I share the absolute frustration. But this unfortunately is the norm for now.
    I will say consider a game oriented TV if you have room for sitting back a bit. Or a not 4k but Super-Ultra-Wide with similar pixel density. I moved to gaming on an OLED 4K 2 years back, initially as a backup but very quickly became my primary gaming display. A decent lapboard goes a long way to making the controller gap from PC+Desk+Seat to TV+recliner a lot more palatable. If you want 4k/HDR bigscreen a monitor can't compete with a higher end tv outside of pure refresh rate (and the CX LGs with the latest updates are getting there too), so depending on your budget (with at least 2x3090s?) it is a jump to a better option imho.

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Have you met 2020?...Seeing you on similar threads about the various vapour releases this year and I share the absolute frustration. But this unfortunately is the norm for now.

This monitor is not exactly new, was launched in July. And with most stores, they put a note to warn you that it's a pre-order, unknown availability date, etc. Whereas these guys had "In Stock" on it (it has now changed to "Unknown delivery date").
    _CreeD_ wrote: »
    I will say consider a game oriented TV if you have room for sitting back a bit.

Not an option. The monitor is for the son's bedroom. I don't know if there will be enough room for him to keep his existing 27" (1440p TN panel) next to the new one.

Looking back at the months behind us, I am incredibly happy to have been able to upgrade both our PCs with 3090 GPus and 5950X CPUs. We've had very low spending along the year due to Covid, so I've been able to put some cash aside and splurge on these things. But still not enough to move into a bigger house, so we're constrained on space.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If I had a high end GPU I think I'd rather have an ultrawide 3440x1440 rather than a 4k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Lumen wrote: »
    If I had a high end GPU I think I'd rather have an ultrawide 3440x1440 rather than a 4k.

Why?

All Eyes On Rafah

Why?
    I just don't think the tiny dot pitch of desktop 4k makes any sense, unless the screen is massive and then there are ergonomic issues with excessive height.

For a while I was running a second screen in portrait orientation for reading documents but abandoned it eventually.

I've been using 27" 1440p for years and never thought "I wish I had smaller pixels". Whereas having some extra screen area in the peripheral vision at the same pixel density might be more useful/immersive.

I've been using 27" 1440p for years and never thought "I wish I had smaller pixels". Whereas having some extra screen area in the peripheral vision at the same pixel density might be more useful/immersive.

The idea behind higher resolutions is that you should not be able to count the pixels. Higher pixel density would allow fonts and icons to look better at the exact same size.

The idea behind higher resolutions is that you should not be able to count the pixels. Higher pixel density would allow fonts and icons to look better at the exact same size.
    Yes, but there's a limit on the resolution perceptible by the human eye. Hence "retina" marketing on Apple displays the last few years.

Also, antialiasing is a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

TBH I'd second the notion that 4K has diminishing returns at 27". 4K is also extremely had to drive for gaming so you end up either having to buy an overkill GPU or going with lower framerate / image quality defeating the purpose of having a 4K display.

On fonts and icons, Windows 10 scaling sucks.

• Advertisement

TBH I'd second the notion that 4K has diminishing returns at 27". 4K is also extremely had to drive for gaming so you end up either having to buy an overkill GPU or going with lower framerate / image quality defeating the purpose of having a 4K display.

On fonts and icons, Windows 10 scaling sucks.

Even the Dimwit went with 27GN950, and three of them on one 3090!

The order on caseking has been cancelled and refunded, so now just waiting for this LG monitor to appear in stock somewhere...

Even the Dimwit went with 27GN950, and three of them on one 3090!

The order on caseking has been cancelled and refunded, so now just waiting for this LG monitor to appear in stock somewhere...

Interesting. That setup might actually work with triple 1440p monitors.

At one stage he compares the image quality at 4k native vs 1440p. That makes no sense. Native resolution will always look way better.

Interesting. That setup might actually work with triple 1440p monitors.

At one stage he compares the image quality at 4k native vs 1440p. That makes no sense. Native resolution will always look way better.

He also said he would rarely game across 3 monitors, but that is all he tried in the video.
    Still, the point I am trying to make here is that one 3090 should be more than capable to drive one of these, in 4K, at Very High / Ultra settings, with good FPS.

He also said he would rarely game across 3 monitors, but that is all he tried in the video.
    Still, the point I am trying to make here is that one 3090 should be more than capable to drive one of these, in 4K, at Very High / Ultra settings, with good FPS.

Yes, or 1440p ultra wide. :pac:

Yes, or 1440p ultra wide. :pac:

The original question(s), if you care to look, was how to buy a monitor. Not which monitor to buy, but what store, and if someone has experience with buying from continental Europe.

Let's not derail the thread, please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

i purchased a 4k monitor from amazon.de no issues

returns not as easy though, i got the monitor and it had dust under the screen, for the return you must pay yourself and then email amazon.de and request they refund you (which they did to the tune of 120Euro)

not as easy as a prepaid label with amazon.co.uk but works with a bit more donkey work involved

BArra wrote: »
    i purchased a 4k monitor from amazon.de no issues

Found the monitor I wanted on the Spanish Amazon. Now waiting and praying for an uneventful delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

great monitor, only thing that puts me off is the fan in the back of it

i had an XB273K before (has a fan also) and it drove me mad

let me know how you find it

That's a great monitor but you're gonna need a 3080 or 3090 to power it along with a 5600x/5800x or a 10900k/10850k.

BloodBath wrote: »
    That's a great monitor but you're gonna need a 3080 or 3090 to power it along with a 5600x/5800x or a 10900k/10850k.

I am incredibly happy to have been able to upgrade both our PCs with 3090 GPus and 5950X CPUs.

• Advertisement

Missed that, no problems there then :D

Sick setup. Were you not tempted to go for the g9?

Found the monitor I wanted on the Spanish Amazon. Now waiting and praying for an uneventful delivery.

Thoughts and prayers did not work. After waiting for a week, I contacted Amazon Customer Service, and was told they don't actually have it in stock, regardless of what I saw on the website. They spun a story about a 1hr delay between warehouse and website, but they completely ignored the fact that the monitor appeared in stock for days after I placed the order.

The new update is that there will be stock on Dec 22nd, at which date they hope to be able to ship it. Having been burned already by this practice, I know what they're actually saying is that it doesn't really depend on them, and the estimate is actually a guess.

However, the main difference between Amazon and others is that they have not taken the money from my card. Still hoping to see this monitor at some point in the future, but I have to prepare a different Christmas present for the boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

Thoughts and prayers did not work. After waiting for a week, I contacted Amazon Customer Service, and was told they don't actually have it in stock, regardless of what I saw on the website. They spun a story about a 1hr delay between warehouse and website, but they completely ignored the fact that the monitor appeared in stock for days after I placed the order.

The new update is that there will be stock on Dec 22nd, at which date they hope to be able to ship it. Having been burned already by this practice, I know what they're actually saying is that it doesn't really depend on them, and the estimate is actually a guess.

However, the main difference between Amazon and others is that they have not taken the money from my card. Still hoping to see this monitor at some point in the future, but I have to prepare a different Christmas present for the boy.

Similar happened to me ordering a graphics card from Amazon.es (Amazon SARL)

But they took the money from my card 2 or 3 days after the purchase worked on the site. Still not a sign of any shipping 6 days later.
    Graphic cards are hard to get at the moment so i feel like they sold something they didn't have and now are waiting to get it themselves before the tell me. Weird they took my money though.

Quick update on this.
    Order placed on December 9th was eventually shipped on December 18th, and delivered today, January 4th, after a very slow trip across Europe. It started from Poland, then traveled to Germany where it stayed put for one week (spending Christmas), then moved on to France, and then to UK (where it spent the New Year's). I thought it could be further delayed by Brexit, but was pleasantly surprised to get it today after all.

Son is delighted, apparently Doom Eternal looks amazing in 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Quick update on this.
    Order placed on December 9th was eventually shipped on December 18th, and delivered today, January 4th, after a very slow trip across Europe. It started from Poland, then traveled to Germany where it stayed put for one week (spending Christmas), then moved on to France, and then to UK (where it spent the New Year's). I thought it could be further delayed by Brexit, but was pleasantly surprised to get it today after all.

Your monitor had more of a holiday trip than most people in this country in the past nine months. :D

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Quick update on this.

Any further updates on this, I got a LG27GL850 27" 1440p but I was not banking on getting a 3090 so gonna sell this (month old) and get a 4K Screen.

Advertisement