Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A kind gesture from your club

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

So any club be it golf or otherwise that are doing something for its members because of because of the lockdowns are not being financially prudent!?!

Totally understandable for a club not to make a gesture if they were under pressure, but they are not!!!!!!!

Lol that’s obviously not what I said.

Succinctly, no gesture != members being taken for granted.

I don’t know your club but obviously the details you have provided are vague at best. No pressure doesn’t automatically mean a need for a gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

We received a lovely gesture of a €100 "covid levy," with our membership books now full to capacity and closed, and huge difficulty accessing timesheets.

We took in about 50 new members last year, with the majority having to pay a 7.5k entrance fee. If they are under 40 they start to pay it when they turn 40. Either way it gets paid.

I'm disgusted. The club is financially very sound, even after a bad year. If we return to a full no golf lockdown this year I'll be asking for a reduction, I can't pay for a golf club/course that isn't accessible.

The motion was passed at a zoom AGM btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

JCDUB wrote: »
    We received a lovely gesture of a €100 "covid levy," with our membership books now full to capacity and closed, and huge difficulty accessing timesheets.

We took in about 50 new members last year, with the majority having to pay a 7.5k entrance fee. If they are under 40 they start to pay it when they turn 40. Either way it gets paid.

I'm disgusted. The club is financially very sound, even after a bad year. If we return to a full no golf lockdown this year I'll be asking for a reduction, I can't pay for a golf club/course that isn't accessible.

What club is that? Or if you don't want to say, is it a members club?

That's an absolute disgrace if the club is financially sound as you say. Shame on those members who voted it in.

And of course with that sort of joining fee I'd be that members will be very reluctant to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

If they are under 40 they start to pay it when they turn 40.....so what happens should they leave before they turn. .....I probably am reading that wrong.

blue note wrote: »
    What club is that? Or if you don't want to say, is it a members club?

That's an absolute disgrace if the club is financially sound as you say. Shame on those members who voted it in.

And of course with that sort of joining fee I'd be that members will be very reluctant to leave.

Yep, well known member's club in Dublin.

Club is financially sound. In fairness, like all clubs they lost society and, to a lesser extent, competition and bar revenue last year.

I'm very upset though, can't believe it really.

• Advertisement

If they are under 40 they start to pay it when they turn 40.....so what happens should they leave before they turn. .....I probably am reading that wrong.

Nope, you're reading it right. Potentially someone could join when they're 25 and leave the year they turn 40, but that really doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

Nothing, and my fee went up 300 quid as I moved into a new intermediate category. Getting to the point where I'm questioning if it's worth the price for what I get, but not sure if I want the hassle of finding a new club.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭fungie

Yep, well known member's club in Dublin.

Club is financially sound. In fairness, like all clubs they lost society and, to a lesser extent, competition and bar revenue last year.

I'm very upset though, can't believe it really.

Is it a golf club on Bull island?

fungie wrote: »
    Is it a golf club on Bull island?

That would be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

We got a mail this week to say if we are joined and paid before March, we get 10% subs back for club shop/ bar. Nice enough.

• Advertisement

Usually fees were to be paid by end of March but that's changed now to Jan 31.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 desoconnor1959

Paid €1200 for 2020. Fees for 2021 reduced to €950 which includes €50 for the pro shop. Very please when you consider the amount of golf lost this year.

Usually fees were to be paid by end of March but that's changed now to Jan 31.

Been told that from Feb membership will go from 790 to 1350.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I’m guessing your moving from a underage category to full?

Ollieboy wrote: »
    I’m guessing your moving from a underage category to full?

Nope. New owners. Big changes.looking for a drop in members to make way for more green fees. Members are taking up a huge amount of tee times and new hotel being built on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47zjx518kw9nybi2o916hju7150o21w3efguxdgm6g&rid=200.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Nope. New owners. Big changes.looking for a drop in members to make way for more green fees. Members are taking up a huge amount of tee times and new hotel being built on site.

Is that Deer Park? That’s a big jump for the same product but I’m guessing it’s not members owned.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Is that Deer Park? That’s a big jump for the same product but I’m guessing it’s not members owned.

Not in dublin and yes it's not owned by members. Shame though. Nice track.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Local club made more profit in 2020 than it did in 2019. Membership has stayed the same and not a hint of anything back for months of golf being missed. Haven't renewed and won't lose any sleep over it. Will join back up next year when I can actually make use of club atmosphere and the service of playing golf itself. At the moment we have seen around 25% reduction in services (so far) yet people are paying full whack. It is crazy and every other club I am a part of have reduced or paused membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Wonder will they soften their hard-line stance any with latest level 5 restrictions

I doubt it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

The Club i am in Blessington Lakes has fought long and hard over the past 3 years to be in control of its own destiny. Part of this fight was an increase in membership fees in the 1st 2 years to ensure sustainability. This meant that the club could give a modest reduction in subs last year to reward loyal members who have stuck by the club through the changeover from a private ownership model to a members run facility. The club felt it was vital to give something back to its full members for the coming year and so have set our renewal at € 619 plus your Golf Ireland Fee. Yes we are only a nine hole club with alternative tee boxes on the 2nd nine but its always in good nick and the views from the course of the mountains and lakes as you play......you swear you were in Wicklow. Our annual sub cycle runs from the March 1st to Feb 28th/29th the following year. The club has an enticing offer of €550 for new members or returning members having being away for a year.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It’s probably bad timing for some clubs with renewals due and 1/2/3 months of no golf ahead. Mostly saved by rising popularity of golf with other sports probably to be locked down longer, so the 5% who don’t renew have a queue to replace them I’m sure but with a cash flow gap for clubs on top of lack of green fees etc now.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭fungie

Managed to get subs reduced 100eur from an already reduced amount but this was done via haggling as part of a largeish group of recently joined members.

flugel wrote: »
    Wonder will they soften their hard-line stance any with latest level 5 restrictions

I doubt it
    Unlikely. At best they will extend the payment date of Jan 31 to Feb 28 imo. Some have paid up already but plenty are waiting to see outcome of lockdown. My membership finished yesterday once lockdown came into effect and I am moving to another club but it only opened for a week after last lockdown due to flooding.

Advertisement