Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Krispy Kreme to open in New Central Plaza, Dame Street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Nice, haven't driven over to their first spot in Blanch in months due to the lockdown and starting to get withdrawals

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

An iconic building, be you like it or not, and they put a full glass fronted donut shop into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Hurrache wrote: »
    An iconic building, be you like it or not, and they put a full glass fronted donut shop into it.

Lot of people misspent various chunks of their youth around that building when it was the bank!

Not super surprising they're sticking a multinational donut/coffee/whatever place out front, it's being redeveloped as a commercial outing, the need to attract people to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Is that the best they can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Do donuts even still have the appeal they had a couple years ago?

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »
    Is that the best they can do?

I'm surprised it isn't another Vodafone shop or something similar. Severe shortage of phone shops on every street in Dublin. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

Yaaay, diabetes.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Proliferation of Fast Food Outlets across the country

This will all unravel eventually when the obesity crisis looms large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Passenger wrote: »
    Do donuts even still have the appeal they had a couple years ago?

I thought we had peak donut about two years ago, several places that specialized in them in Cork have gone by the board. I never really got the appeal of donuts covered in their same weight in sickly sweet gick. When I pass a certain one on Oliver Plunkett Street, the queue seems always to exist of young women in active wear with asses the size of small countries. Just what the doctor ordered for a society with ever increasing waistlines.

Pasteur. wrote: »
    Proliferation of Fast Food Outlets across the country

This will all unravel eventually when the obesity crisis looms large

A decent proportion of the health issues in Ireland are due to folk being overweight, it's only going to get worse. It's a HUGE issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Augeo wrote: »
    A decent proportion of the health issues in Ireland are due to folk being overweight, it's only going to get worse. It's a HUGE issue.

It's true and fast-food is so much more accessible than when i was a kid in the late 80s and 90s- McDonalds didn't go beyond the Naas road tbh. Now all these outlets are everywhere- even in petrol stations etc. It has to all have an effect?

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    It's true and fast-food is so much more accessible than when i was a kid in the late 80s and 90s- McDonalds didn't go beyond the Naas road tbh. Now all these outlets are everywhere- even in petrol stations etc. It has to all have an effect?

Pat Mcdonagh is striking deals left right and centre to open supermacs beside service stations

Profit rules for now while we sleepwalk into a crisis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »

The arrival of Deliveroo and similar delivery companies hasn't helped either. I know of people too lazy to get off their holes and walk, let alone drive a few minutes. Had a work colleague who would have her dinner around 7 and if by 10.30 or 11 was feeling peckish she and her boyfriend would think nothing of ordering a take out from her sofa from McDonalds 500m away and have it delivered, then she wondered why she was a bit of a mawser*

(*Cork slang for a woman who's big around the hips and ass, from the Irish word más meaning buttock")

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Pasteur. wrote: »
    Pat Mcdonagh is striking deals left right and centre to open supermacs beside service stations

Profit rules for now while we sleepwalk into a crisis

They typically open a Chopped beside the Supermacs too as part of a deal in these petrol stations.

I for one welcome this. A very well renowned brand and their Blanch store has been an overwhelming success. They’ll now take up residence in a small store within a new large development.

People need to take personal responsibility for their health and limiting people’s access to this is not the answer. I think that would be limiting freedom. (I do have a slightly differing opinion on this in regards to places located right outside schools) What we need is better education. I think there is evidence that the tide is turning in this regard and fitness has become much more popular amongst younger people recently in my experience.

Edit: Although as mentioned the expansion of the likes of deliveroo and the lockdown in general has created more issues around health.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Seamai wrote: »
    I thought we had peak donut about two years ago, several places that specialized in them in Cork have gone by the board. I never really got the appeal of donuts covered in their same weight in sickly sweet gick. When I pass a certain one on Oliver Plunkett Street, the queue seems always to exist of young women in active wear with asses the size of small countries. Just what the doctor ordered for a society with ever increasing waistlines.

I live near the Blanchardstown Krispy Kreme outlet and there are still regular queues outside the drive thru and in the store. It doesn't help that the donut queue sometimes overlaps with the McDonalds drive thru queue and then both queues converge and start out on the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

A big American donut shop. Just what I was hoping for in Dublin city's new plaza.

Might pop in after a wee go on the white-water rafts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

What does everyone have against Krispy Kreme? I've never had one myself, but what would you have expected to go into the unit?

It's not about the donuts

Companies like Amazon and Krispy Kreme will output product to make money, that's their function

Meanwhile the seas are being polluted and people are getting fat

Governments job is to regulate all this for the greater good

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Starbucks, Costa and McDonalds all within a 1 min walk of there already, not to mention the multiple outlets of Carrolls gift tat shops. ****e to see the city filled up with chains, but I suspect this will become even more prevalent once the financial bite of covid kicks in. Will end up like a bland city in the English midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭vafankillar

Starbucks, Costa and McDonalds all within a 1 min walk of there already, not to mention the multiple outlets of Carrolls gift tat shops. ****e to see the city filled up with chains, but I suspect this will become even more prevalent once the financial bite of covid kicks in. Will end up like a bland city in the English midlands.

saw one of the top lads from carrolls complaining about people having take away pints in town, while his place has been open since june serving thousands of yank who've been no doubt spreading the virus around the country while our own sons and daughters no been encouraged not to fly home for christmas

• Advertisement

FYI they have trailer Krispy Kreme outlet open now in Dundrum town centre

https://twitter.com/KrispyKremeIRL/status/1334565566569357312?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

The out cries over Krispy Kreme opening in the old Central Bank reminds me of the aul wans screaming blue murder about Stringfellows on Parnell Street :). Dirty sexy doughnuts!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

At least you'll actually be able to get your hole at Krispy Kreme.

Goodshape wrote: »
    A big American donut shop. Just what I was hoping for in Dublin city's new plaza.

Might pop in after a wee go on the white-water rafts.

As opposed to......what?

No matter what gets put in there, people will be giving out yards. The fact that it's American should have no sway on the matter. Would you prefer another Caroll's gift shop? Or a Supermacs?

Within spitting distance of this location, there's a Tesco, Subway and a Starbucks, followed by any number of burger, kebab and chinese takeaways. It's hardly going against the grain.

What, in your opinion, would be suitable for that location?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If they open another Carroll's there I'm emigrating

Is Carroll's still expanding? They closed the one on Mary Street. I got the feeling they thought their number was up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

With virtually no tourists all year I don't see them being in a position to expand currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Gift shops selling Chinese tat staffed by Brazilians. They're just awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

We will lock down society for people's own good but allow this poison to be sold freely, whether in donut shops or in supermarkets. The ingredients should not be considered food considering the processing involved to create them and our bodies are ill-equipped to deal with them. It's a bizarre world we live in where personal responsibility is only allowed within the confines of heavily-lobbied-for laws enabling corporations to poison society and make money from it.

• Advertisement

We will lock down society for people's own good but allow this poison to be sold freely, whether in donut shops or in supermarkets.
    Yes, if there's one thing we need it's tighter government control on what we're allowed to eat and drink. If only the state would nanny us harder, for our own good :rolleyes:

At least we can be reasonably sure there'll be a Chopped nearby. There's always a Chopped nearby.

Advertisement