Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2020: ROUND 16 Bahrain 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

ELM327 wrote: »
    Bottas is a useless driver. Hamilton is above average as is Russel. Put Max in the merc and he'd beat both of them though.
    He is not a useless driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know I’ve gone on about George too much but it’s somewhat fitting this is the race he is given a chance.

When Grosjean was in that awful crash last week and the drivers were coming out leaving him supportive messages my mind thought back to when it was announced Grosjean would not have a race seat next year.

Romain was asked about messages he received from other drivers after the news broke. Grosjean replied that Russell was the first and only driver to contact him to see how he was and wish him well. Went on to say he was a great guy and they had built a good friendship.

It’s a simple thing but I found it kind of sad that no one else reached out to him. The fact that Russell did just added to my opinions of him.

If he does well no doubt Grosjean will be over to congratulate him and would be a nice moment between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    He is not a useless driver.
    Compared to someone competent he is though.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I though Seb visited him in hospital?

He did.
    Like I said there was an outpouring after the crash and rightfully so.

But what I referred to in my post was the outpouring reminded me of Grosjeans comments on when the news was announced that he wouldn’t have a race seat next year.

The fact that only one driver had reached out to him after the news broke, that being Russell.

BikeRacer wrote: »
    Lads, I really like Russell, but we're talking about the same lad who launched his car into a wall behind a safety car when Williams would have had their first real chance at points all season just a few weeks ago. I don't think Lewis is worried.
    And Hamilton is someone who drove into people at the end of the pitlane in Canada in 08. And who missed the pitlane in China in 07.
    Adamocovic wrote: »
    I know I’ve gone on about George too much but it’s somewhat fitting this is the race he is given a chance.

When Grosjean was in that awful crash last week and the drivers were coming out leaving him supportive messages my mind thought back to when it was announced Grosjean would not have a race seat next year.

Romain was asked about messages he received from other drivers after the news broke. Grosjean replied that Russell was the first and only driver to contact him to see how he was and wish him well. Went on to say he was a great guy and they had built a good friendship.

It’s a simple thing but I found it kind of sad that no one else reached out to him. The fact that Russell did just added to my opinions of him.

If he does well no doubt Grosjean will be over to congratulate him and would be a nice moment between the two.
    They probably all have "people" who they assume will sort all that stuff for them.

At the end of the day Russell has had all the signs of a top driver. When he beats his teammate in literally every single qualifying so far that shouldn't be ignored. He's excelled all through his career and it's either ignorance or contrarian to claim he doesn't look like a top level driver in the making.

That said, with how the cars are now and the tyre sensitivity for different cars, if anyone gets beaten by someone jumping into a car they haven't been in before the existing driver really has no business being in the team they're in.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Ah sorry yes I cant read :pac:

Haha no problems! It was a bit confusing for myself re-reading it!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BikeRacer

Ah yes the same lad who made a mistake behind the safety car.

Not like any top drivers would make simple mistakes too. Like Lewis wouldn’t cost himself a win by entering a closed pit lane. Or Seb hitting into another car under a safety car. Michael wouldn’t brake hard during a safety car and end up colliding with Montoya.

No driver goes his whole career without mistakes.
    I doubt Lewis is even thinking about George’s mistake behind the safety car. I think he’d be more thinking “the same lad” that’s built an incredible resume in the lower levels, impressed in a bad car, is a Mercedes driving academy product and an extremely popular driver on the grid.

Yes I agree with all that, my point is that people here are reacting as if finishing P1 in one FP1 session is somehow equal to 7 world championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

In this multi-media age the drivers are expected to play the PR game. The newest generation all appear like anodyne young men - a bit too "goody goody" for my liking. Russell typifies this. You can't imagine him even swearing over the radio. At least we still have those selfish old gits Alonso and Raikkonen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

BikeRacer wrote: »
    Lads, I really like Russell, but we're talking about the same lad who launched his car into a wall behind a safety car when Williams would have had their first real chance at points all season just a few weeks ago. I don't think Lewis is worried.

I think Ericsson hit him :D

As Toto said, every champion needs to put a car in the wall under safety car!!

I like Russell, he's genuine unlike some others who just say things for effect. I'm rooting for him this weekend.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Might help merc in contract negotiations though.
    Why pay lewis $30mn +, when Russell can win in the same car for sub $1mn!
    Sure if you listen to the people on here why are they paying Hamilton at all, he's a rubbish driver and anyone on the grid would win the championship in that car, no problem.

chicorytip wrote: »
    In this multi-media age the drivers are expected to play the PR game. The newest generation all appear like anodyne young men - a bit too "goody goody" for my liking. Russell typifies this. You can't imagine him even swearing over the radio. At least we still have those selfish old gits Alonso and Raikkonen.

Russell didn’t speak about the fact that he contacted Grosjean after it was announced he wouldn’t have a seat next year so not sure how to spin it as a PR plan.

Grosjean himself brought it up and mentioned how Russell was a good guy and a friend.

Obviously the sports needs a mix of personalities but I’ve found the younger generation have brought a bit more life into it off track.

Norris goes mad on the radios giving out not like he’s a poster child. Even last weekend Russell was giving out about Norris on the radio so hardly like they’re being “goody good”.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Russell didn’t speak about the fact that he contacted Grosjean after it was announced he wouldn’t have a seat next year so not sure how to spin it as a PR plan.

Grosjean himself brought it up and mentioned how Russell was a good guy and a friend.

Obviously the sports needs a mix of personalities but I’ve found the younger generation have brought a bit more life into it off track.

Norris goes mad on the radios giving out not like he’s a poster child. Even last weekend Russell was giving out about Norris on the radio so hardly like they’re being “goody good”.

You're forgetting the prevailing theme around here of old = good & new = bad. It was always better before........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Russell looks to have settled in really well. This will do him no harm at all for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Vettel on ice here by the looks

Anyone missing Hamilton?

• Advertisement

Gintonious wrote: »
    Anyone missing Hamilton?

I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Gintonious wrote: »
    Anyone missing Hamilton?
    Bottas perhaps? :pac: At least he was used to being beaten by Lewis, being beaten by the new guy has got to be tough.

And before anyone says it, yes I know its only FP1 and there's a whole lot of driving to be done yet.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I am.

Can't say i am, I feel we might have a competitive enough race on our hands this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

If Russell topples Bottas this weekend don’t be surprised if those 2 swap seats for 2021. Williams are now under new management so it could happen

Russell with the Friday sweep.
    Topped both FP1 and FP2.

Can’t wait to see how qualifying goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Qualifying in F2 was madness. No room to find a gap. Will be very interesting tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

What happened LeClerc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

weekaizer wrote: »
    Hes not capable of winning a championship.

I disagree if he were the Mercedes #1 this season and had a #2 who was at a lower level I think he would have won the title, can't really say that would be deserved, but given the right circumstances and being in the best car I think he could deliver a WDC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is it wrote: »
    What happened LeClerc?

I think they said on BBC that the kerbs we’re playing havoc with the suspension and shaking them asunder. Think that’s what happened but not certain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

This is it wrote: »
    What happened LeClerc?

Broken half shaft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Broken half shaft.

And what about the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

"Valtieri, it's James ....."

If we hear that on Sunday .....

Good show by Russell today but... it’s only Friday practice.

According to Andrew Benson, Russell was struggling with tyre wear much earlier than Bottas on the long runs and his times fell away much sooner. That’s to be expected when you consider how much better Bottas knows the car and how it handles its tyres over the longer stint.

Good first step by Russell. Looking forward to tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

If Russell topples Bottas this weekend don’t be surprised if those 2 swap seats for 2021. Williams are now under new management so it could happen
    It's unlikely seeing as Bottas has a contract for 2021. Merc would hardly renege on that agreement particularly if Wolff is still in charge. Lewis would need to be pacified as well as he goes for title number eight. Having Bottas as a team mate is not going to hinder him in that objective but if it were Russell, it just might.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

chicorytip wrote: »
    It's unlikely seeing as Bottas has a contract for 2021. Merc would hardly renege on that agreement particularly if Wolff is still in charge. Lewis would need to be pacified as well as he goes for title number eight. Having Bottas as a team mate is not going to hinder him in that objective but if it were Russell, it just might.
    True. Both have contacts for next year. 2022 however is anyones guess. Lewis will likely have the outright Championship record at 8 and might feel he's done enough by then.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lewis retire at the end of next year, George take his seat ... and it's anyone's guess as to who might have the second seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Quali should be interesting tomorrow. Short lap, lots of backing up and I'm sure the time differences could be down to the millisecond or less.

That Turn 7-8 chicane seems to be very bumpy and the kerb prone to damaging plenty of cars. Bottas hit it early on in FP1 today and broke his floor, ruining his session. He probably won't be the only one to have problems on the new section of track.

There's also a threat of rain and thunderstorms there over Saturday evening and Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The middle sector looks quite tricky, track limits seemed an issue in turn 8 and there isn't much space on track from what I seen in F2 qualifying. Looks like they'll have to stay off the kerbs around turn 7 and 8. I think if Russell finishes in the top 5 it will be a fantastic result

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

PsychoPete wrote: »
    The middle sector looks quite tricky, track limits seemed an issue in turn 8 and there isn't much space on track from what I seen in F2 qualifying. Looks like they'll have to stay off the kerbs around turn 7 and 8. I think if Russell finishes in the top 5 it will be a fantastic result

I expect Russell on the front row

Burkie1203 wrote: »

With how short the track is, I reckon we could have a front row upset. It'll be luck rather thank skill for the front row I reckon

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Yeah so do I. As long as they don’t get caught out in the traffic problems.

Russell is a very good qualifier and so is Bottas so I won’t make any predictions about which will be ahead. But I think he will definitely qualify well. His long run pace will probably suffer when you consider his lack of in-depth knowledge of the car over long runs (heating and cooling, and knowing and using the car’s idiosyncrasies to his advantage) which Bottas will know.

But over one lap I expect Russell to beat the red bulls and every other team. Battle between the Mercedes for P1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Tyre management is not what I want to hear.

Sure, the Merc is grand on tyres. I heard one very recent Merc driver complain about his tyres mid-race and he got through that and extended his stint. Then in another race earlier this year, the Merc was so good it was able to drive home on three wheels. Russell will be grand.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

What time is qualifying today?

Joeface wrote: »
    Formula 1 Rolex Sakhir Grand Prix 2020

So New Track , the almost Oval or as close as F1 can get .
    No Hamilton , No Grosjean ,
    Russell Move ( One day event ) , Fittipaldi and Aitken make their Debuts .
    All the nature of a Power Track

image.png

Circuit Length 3.543km
    Number of Laps 87

Late Evening viewing this weekend, ah the winter nights and the Cars do look great under lights.

Session Your time
    1st Free practice Fri 4 Dec 13:30 - 15:00
    2nd Free practice Fri 4 Dec 17:30 - 19:00
    3rd Free practice Sat 5 Dec 14:00 - 15:00
    1st Qualifying Sat 5 Dec 17:00 - 17:18
    2nd Qualifying Sat 5 Dec 17:25 - 17:40
    3rd Qualifying Sat 5 Dec 17:48 - 18:00
    Race Sun 6 Dec 17:10 - 19:10

I should have read first post :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

What time is qualifying today?

5pm

• Advertisement

Made a good point in F2. We could start seeing cars being several laps down halfway through the race. 25 second pitstop which is half a lap!

antodeco wrote: »
    Made a good point in F2. We could start seeing cars being several laps down halfway through the race. 25 second pitstop which is half a lap!

That could have a big impact on the overcut and undercut at pit stops. Depending on where the gaps are there could be a big difference. But the shorter lap means the effect is smaller on each individual lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Engine change for Vettel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

For such a simple track there's been a lot of mistakes. Looking forward to qualy.

Ricciardo really fecked up the bottom of the car on turn 7 there a few minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Compared to someone competent he is though.

Who is competent so in your opinion?
    His teamates so far in F1:
    Hamilton (7 time world champion) Lost 4-0
    Massa (highly respected and very experienced almost world champion) won 3-0
    Pastor Maldonado (very pacy on his day) won 1-0 also his rookie year.
    So yeah except for 7 time world champion Lewis Hamilton, Bottas has beat his team mate in every season including his rookie year. People who downplay the abilities of Bottas are just secretly trying to downplay Hamilton. "ah sure he's in a faster car and Bottas is useless". Bottas is a very competent and consistent driver a quick look through his driving history will show you this. There is a reason the top F1 team signed him up and kept him for 5+ years.

• Advertisement

Max Papis - blast from the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Ricardo looking good.
    Kudos to Ferrari for getting Vettels's engine changed in time too.
    Be interesting to see if Max can split the Mercs.
    Looks like no major surprises in store with Q1 in terms of bottom five. Be good to see if Mag can stay in for Q2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Redbull spot on with their times but seemed a bit risky

Albon through to Q2 by the skin of his teeth in 15th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Quite a difference between giovanzzi and raikkonen there

• Advertisement
Advertisement