Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2020: ROUND 16 Bahrain 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Well yes and no.

Bottas has had years driving a car pretty much moulded to his every wish.

Russell wanders in the door and nearly beats him in his first qualy run.

Bottas could, and imo will, be really badly shown up today for the bang average driver that he is.

Why do you think the car is moulded to him?

Strikes me that if someone likes a driver who’s underperforming, they can say the car isn’t suited to him. If they don’t like a driver who’s doing relatively well, they can say his car is moulded to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Why do you think the car is moulded to him?

Strikes me that if someone likes a driver who’s underperforming, they can say the car isn’t suited to him. If they don’t like a driver who’s doing relatively well, they can say his car is moulded to him.

I say moulded to him because he’s had what 3 seasons with Mercedes now? So he has his car dialled into his preference and style to a good degree.

I don’t dislike Bottas I just think he’s a very average driver, which as most people would say actually suits Mercedes because they know he’ll won’t piss off their golden boy and the car is good enough to propel a monkey to a 2nd place finish most of the time.

My main point is Gerorgy boy rocks up having had little to no time in the Mercedes car and very very nearly beats the Finn.

To be honest I hope Max smacks the two of them but this track suits a fast in a straight line car like a Merc or a pink Merc.

How the **** Charles got the Ferrari into P4 I dont know. That was a serious bit of driving in a pathetic car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the merc is designed with hamilton in mind no 1 with bottas secondry. its just big enough for the drivers and everything is in the best place for them.
    nothing is designed for russell, it is all adapted or he just has to cope with it.
    merc have been spending a lot of time making changes that russell cant spend out there driving . bottas can spend all that time on track

merc know exactly what setting and adjustments bottas likes so the car is prity much set up out the gate with only minor tweeks to be made.
    they dont know this for russell

russel isnt used to all the buttons and knobs like bottas is (or should). you often see hamilton adjusting knobs while driving . that mussel memory and years knowing where everything is and being part of the team that put each button where it is.

russel is claiming he put his merc in neutral accidentally during that lap

the fact that russel is anywhere near bottas is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Nice comparison of Bottas' and Russell's qualifying laps today. Bottas well ahead until the final corner, where a bit of oversteer made Russell close in on him.

Ya interesting watch, the graphic in the middle is good. Shows Russell was nearly a tenth down even before the first corner. As soon as they crossed the start line, the gap started to increase immediately.
    Would like to see their respective speeds as they started their laps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Really looking forward to this. Would be delighted with a top 5 for LeClerc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Russell has to wear shoes a size smaller just so his feet can fit to press the pedals. The seat will be a squeeze. If he outraces bottas over the duration of a race, bottas is finished at that team.

Qualifying being almost the same time was damning. You could see bottas afterwards, that wasn't a man thinking he just got pole. It was a guy feeling quite humiliated.

Russell has to wear shoes a size smaller just so his feet can fit to press the pedals. The seat will be a squeeze. If he outraces bottas over the duration of a race, bottas is finished at that team.

Qualifying being almost the same time was damning. You could see bottas afterwards, that wasn't a man thinking he just got pole. It was a guy feeling quite humiliated.

Ah Bottas’s seat is nailed on for next year and I’d argue it’s pretty much nailed on as long as Hamilton is in the car.

Mercedes don’t want a Rosberg in the other car. They just want a 1,2 and Bottas has delivered that for the most part albeit in a very disappointing fashion.

George has potential that Mercedes aren’t ready to unleash. This weekend is just a tester for them to check that he’s on the right track. He’s the heir to the Hamilton throne.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Maybe not finished today but finished in general, his confidence will be shot too.

Maybe not finished today but finished in general, his confidence will be shot too.

I get what you’re saying but he’s not going to quit and Mercedes aren’t going to fire him so I think finished is a tad strong.

He’ll just continue in his average ways which as I said suits all parties at this point in time.

Frustrating for us the fans as we want to see Hamilton challenged by his teammate.

I’m just sick of seeing Hamilton win every week so at least this week it can’t be him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

chicorytip wrote: »
    Albon did okay, no mistakes.

I can drive around that track without making any mistakes. doesn't mean I did okay

He is a poor choice for red bull period, He adds nothing to the team

• Advertisement

I say moulded to him because he’s had what 3 seasons with Mercedes now? So he has his car dialled into his preference and style to a good degree.

I don’t dislike Bottas I just think he’s a very average driver, which as most people would say actually suits Mercedes because they know he’ll won’t piss off their golden boy and the car is good enough to propel a monkey to a 2nd place finish most of the time.

My main point is Gerorgy boy rocks up having had little to no time in the Mercedes car and very very nearly beats the Finn.

To be honest I hope Max smacks the two of them but this track suits a fast in a straight line car like a Merc or a pink Merc.

How the **** Charles got the Ferrari into P4 I dont know. That was a serious bit of driving in a pathetic car.

Fair enough. I think it’s interesting to see the difference in approach to these things. When Vettel underperforms and someone wants to make excuses for him they will assert that the the car isn’t suited to him and is built for Charles. But when the point is to show how average Bottas is, we can assert the car is suited to him.

In reality, I don’t know how the cars are designed or how the drivers like their cars. We can only go by the evidence we have on track. Bottas isn’t top tier, but he’s probably above average. Maybe about average but almost certainly not below average. He rarely makes mistakes and his qualifying pace is excellent.

I wonder who is in the bottom half of drivers? Some are very easy to place but it might get very difficult to rate the drivers towards the middle.

Great result for LeClerc. But I have to wonder if the Ferrari has gotten a lot faster over the course of the year. They were dogsh1t at the start but I think they’re probably in the midfield mix now. likewise the RP was probably second fastest at the start but has slipped right back. The Ferrari car could be right at the back of the battle for fourth place at the stage (Renault, mclaren, racing point, Ferrari, in whatever order)

There’s a good chance that Charles is getting good performance from an improved Ferrari, and Vettel is just hugely under performing in the same car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'd argue Russell couldn't have gotten a better track to try the car out on, short, fast and not a lot of turns basically keep the foot on the accelerator for the majority of it, it's as basic a track all year so bottas was never going to "blow him out of the water" so to speak because there's not a lot of areas to do that on. I mean bottas has 4 poles against Hamilton so he's well able to drive the thing.

Fair enough. I think it’s interesting to see the difference in approach to these things. When Vettel underperforms and someone wants to make excuses for him they will assert that the the car isn’t suited to him and is built for Charles. But when the point is to show how average Bottas is, we can assert the car is suited to him.

In reality, I don’t know how the cars are designed or how the drivers like their cars. We can only go by the evidence we have on track. Bottas isn’t top tier, but he’s probably above average. Maybe about average but almost certainly not below average. He rarely makes mistakes and his qualifying pace is excellent.

I wonder who is in the bottom half of drivers? Some are very easy to place but it might get very difficult to rate the drivers towards the middle.

Great result for LeClerc. But I have to wonder if the Ferrari has gotten a lot faster over the course of the year. They were dogsh1t at the start but I think they’re probably in the midfield mix now. likewise the RP was probably second fastest at the start but has slipped right back. The Ferrari car could be right at the back of the battle for fourth place at the stage (Renault, mclaren, racing point, Ferrari, in whatever order)

There’s a good chance that Charles is getting good performance from an improved Ferrari, and Vettel is just hugely under performing in the same car.

I really like Vettel, seems like a very cool guy but let’s be honest about it he won championships in a fast car with little to no competition.

I think he’s given up at Ferrari at this point. Doesn’t feel like he’s even trying.

That said I think Charles is an amazing prospect on the same level as a Lewis or Max.

Yesterdays performance by him was exceptional. And it’s not the first time this year he’s shown superb pace in a ball of ****e of a car.

klose wrote: »
    I'd argue Russell couldn't have gotten a better track to try the car out on, short, fast and not a lot of turns basically keep the foot on the accelerator for the majority of it, it's as basic a track all year so bottas was never going to "blow him out of the water" so to speak because there's not a lot of areas to do that on. I mean bottas has 4 poles against Hamilton so he's well able to drive the thing.

He’s well able to put a car around a track with no one else on it.

Put other drivers on the track and he panics. He’s terrible in actual race conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Great F2 race on at the moment. Brilliant see-saw of the championship. Schumacher forced to pit, jeopardising his championship as Ilott fighted for top 2, but his typres are spent so Schumacher looks like he'll win the title, even though he's back down in 19th after the pit.

Much more exciting than F1.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Put other drivers on the track and he panics. He’s terrible in actual race conditions.

Except for the back-to-back F3 and F2 titles.

Russell is well able to race. Anyone trying to suggest otherwise is chatting absolute bollocks.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Except for the back-to-back F3 and F2 titles.

Russell is well able to race. Anyone trying to suggest otherwise is chatting absolute bollocks.

Eh I’m talking about Bottas.

Russell is undoubtedly a great prospect. I wish he’d beaten Bottas yesterday in qualy. Was sooo close.

Lookin forward the race today, particularly the starting few laps. Should be heated.

I really like Vettel, seems like a very cool guy but let’s be honest about it he won championships in a fast car with little to no competition.

I think he’s given up at Ferrari at this point. Doesn’t feel like he’s even trying.

That said I think Charles is an amazing prospect on the same level as a Lewis or Max.

Yesterdays performance by him was exceptional. And it’s not the first time this year he’s shown superb pace in a ball of ****e of a car.

I think this performance level is going on so long and is so poor that it is seriously damaging his reputation. I doubt he’s just given up or isn’t really trying. I think he’s just performing poorly and being soundly beaten by a faster driver. I agree he seems like one of the soundest drivers.

I’m really not convinced the Ferrari is as bad as we think. I think it has probably improved and narrowed the gap to the battle for 4th.

But there’s no doubt that LeClerc is enhancing his reputation. Looking forward to seeing him in a competitive car.

Schumacher is F2 champion. Nicely sets the scene as he ascends to F1.

Eh I’m talking about Bottas.

Russell is undoubtedly a great prospect. I wish he’d beaten Bottas yesterday in qualy. Was sooo close.

Lookin forward the race today, particularly the starting few laps. Should be heated.

Ah fair enough. Apologies.

• Advertisement

Schumacher is F2 champion. Nicely sets the scene as he ascends to F1.

Seriously ffs. Why would you post that here!

Some of us aren’t watching it live. Have a bit of cop on.

Posts about F2 are quite often posted in the F1 thread.

I get you’re frustrated but when you’re looking at F1 weekend threads while a race you aren’t watching is going on, you’ve nobody else to blame but yourself tbh.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Posts about F2 are quite often posted in the F1 thread.

I get you’re frustrated but when you’re looking at F1 weekend threads while a race you aren’t watching is going on, you’ve nobody else to blame but yourself tbh.

This is a specific thread about a specific F1 race. It’s not even a general F1 thread Nevermind an F2 thread.

I couldn’t be more pissed off right now.

This is a specific thread about a specific F1 race. It’s not even a general F1 thread Nevermind an F2 thread.

I couldn’t be more pissed off right now.

Well like I said, posts about F2 are regularly posted in the F1 weekend threads.

You chose to read the F1 thread. Your own fault.

Ah, calm down, Jesus. Do you have the same attitude to those who give live updates during F1 quali and races? :rolleyes:

It's pretty windy there today, currently a bit from the left into turn 1. Could be interesting up the hill at Turns 7 & 8, with the wind more from behind.

Ah, calm down, Jesus. Do you have the same attitude to those who give live updates during F1 quali and races? :rolleyes:

Put F2 results in the F2 thread. That’s what it’s for. Discussing F2.

Live reaction to an F1 qualification or race in the right thread is perfectly fine.

If I wasn’t watching it live I wouldn’t look at the F1 general F1 or F1 race thread.

Anyway you’ve ruined it for me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Don't read anything on boards if you don't want to know a race result. I turn off the internet, the radio, the TV and anything else that might give a result if I'm watching a delayed version.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Put F2 results in the F2 thread. That’s what it’s for. Discussing F2.

Live reaction to an F1 qualification or race in the right thread is perfectly fine.

If I wasn’t watching it live I wouldn’t look at the F1 general F1 or F1 race thread.

Anyway you’ve ruined it for me now.

That's made my day, so, with an attitude like that.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    Don't read anything on boards if you don't want to know a race result. I turn off the internet, the radio, the TV and anything else that might give a result if I'm watching a delayed version.

I see what you’re saying but most people have the cop on to put F2 news in the F2 thread.

Every other person did this. One particular person decided to take it upon himself to put it in this thread for absolutely no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Ah flute, just powerhosed the front and back garden and have just sat down now with a bit of food ready to watch and its not lights out til 5.

Ah flute, just powerhosed the front and back garden and have just sat down now with a bit of food ready to watch and its not lights out til 5.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Have a Chupa Chup and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You think your bad. Us poor people or us who refuse to pay for sports we have zero interest in just to see a sport we love have to wait till 10pm tonight before getting to see it. Come on Sky sell Sky Sports F1 channel separately.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Spare a thought for Shamrock Rovers fans (and to a lesser degree Dundalk fans) who have to try watch the end of the F1 and the start of the FAI Cup Final simultaneously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It is a crappy time for a GP imho, I can get away with booting the missus in the early afternoon, she'll be having none of it in "Primetime" Sunday TV for her :(

Inquitus wrote: »
    It is a crappy time for a GP imho, I can get away with booting the missus in the early afternoon, she'll be having none of it in "Primetime" Sunday TV for her :(

Sky go is an absolute god send.

I can retreat to the kitchen while the wife and kids have the main telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

New ICE and turbo for Norris, starts at the back of the grid

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Sand on grid, strong head wind

This could be an epic start. Pity Albon is starting from Abu Dhabi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Sand on grid, strong head wind

This could be an epic start. Pity Albon is starting from Abu Dhabi

Norris is starting from Baku in that case. Power unit change puts him down the back of the grid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not doubting that, I just think there's been a lot said about how amazing Russell was being so close to bottas and that bottas should have out qualified him comfortably and my point was that the track dosnt really allow for that. Of course we will see how he gets on today, but it's a lose lose for bottas so long as Russel finishes the race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Feel excited about this race...strange feeling not knowing who's going to win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

5 quid says Bottas makes a bag of the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Tzardine wrote: »
    5 quid says Bottas makes a bag of the start.

Russell just said he hopes to stay top4 as he isn't used to the start procedure. If Sergio could make a good start it could be tasty

I’ve just turned over now. Did they kneel down before going to their cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

I’ve just turned over now. Did they kneel down before going to their cars?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Genuinely excited for this race. Sorry Lewis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Me too. Very excited at the prospect of the unknown elements.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Genuinely excited for this race. Sorry Lewis!

been looking forward to it all week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

This is going to be mad. Will be interesting to see how many laps down the car in last place will be at the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement