Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of Duty S & X versions

Options
  • 02-12-2020 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Not sure I'll explain this well, but buying COD Ultimate for my son for Christmas. He's currently got the S but has the X under the tree and will get the download code for this atthe same time.

I understand this version allows you to get the 'X' version when it launches, so does he just install this on his new X and plays, then uninstalls and installs the 'X' version when available.

Will it keep his progress, or does this work differently ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

When you say he's got the S, and will be getting the X, do you mean he's got a One S, or a Series S? Yes, ****ty naming convention causes confusion.

Either way, it should be simple enough, go into the "Games and Apps" section, click the Series X version, and off it downloads. Most games should automatically download the right version, but I think COD might be different, so it might actually show you both the One and the Series versions. 99.99% sure that saves transfer over.

Just to note that it might be an idea to hook the Series X up now, as it'll require a day one patch to get working. You can even download any games at the same time, then it'll be a case of plug and play for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

CatInABox wrote: »
    When you say he's got the S, and will be getting the X, do you mean he's got a One S, or a Series S? Yes, ****ty naming convention causes confusion.

Either way, it should be simple enough, go into the "Games and Apps" section, click the Series X version, and off it downloads. Most games should automatically download the right version, but I think COD might be different, so it might actually show you both the One and the Series versions. 99.99% sure that saves transfer over.

Just to note that it might be an idea to hook the Series X up now, as it'll require a day one patch to get working. You can even download any games at the same time, then it'll be a case of plug and play for him.

Thanks, he has the One S but he thinks we couldn't get the X so big surprise Xmas day...which kinda screws the patching, but knowing him he will be up at 6am so can kick it off then :)

Either that or I presume if I get his account details then I could plug it in during the day and update it without him being alerted ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Thanks, he has the One S but he thinks we couldn't get the X so big surprise Xmas day...which kinda screws the patching, but knowing him he will be up at 6am so can kick it off then :)

Either that or I presume if I get his account details then I could plug it in during the day and update it without him being alerted ?

Yeah, that should work, but if you want to make totally sure that he won't get an email or anything, then you can set up a new account and update the machine with that.

You can also use that account to download any games to the console as well, even if the account doesn't actually "own" them. Download the Xbox App on your phone, log in with the account above, search for whichever game you want installed, then click "Download to Console". It lets you download even if you don't own it, which means that when he logs in with his account and he does own it, the files are there ready for him.

Just remove the account before you put it back in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, that should work, but if you want to make totally sure that he won't get an email or anything, then you can set up a new account and update the machine with that.

You can also use that account to download any games to the console as well, even if the account doesn't actually "own" them. Download the Xbox App on your phone, log in with the account above, search for whichever game you want installed, then click "Download to Console". It lets you download even if you don't own it, which means that when he logs in with his account and he does own it, the files are there ready for him.

Just remove the account before you put it back in the box.

Cheers...happy christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Does anyone know when you change over from the Xbox One to Xbox Series can you save your games, I am on a queue list so will get it in the next month or so and am trading in my old console but don't want to lose the game saves i have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Does anyone know when you change over from the Xbox One to Xbox Series can you save your games, I am on a queue list so will get it in the next month or so and am trading in my old console but don't want to lose the game saves i have.

All your saves are in the cloud (assuming you've collected your console to the internet).
    So when you get the new one, it'll download the best version fo the game for your console, and all your saves will be there.

*Nominates for Parent of the Year

*F

Advertisement