Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring your bell for pedestrians?

Options
  • 02-12-2020 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I've had to stop cycling for a while due to an injury and now walk part of my old cycling route.

I'm surprised at how no cyclists I encounter as a pedestrian ring their bell to let you know they're coming up behind you.

I'm on narrow roads and find it a bit disconcerting when a cyclist approaches quickly from behind. Bit scary to be honest.

I always used to give a quick ring in the same situation.

Is it an Irish thing? On the continent its normal behaviour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think a quick ring at a distance that alerts someone without startling them is welcome... but ringing repeatedly as you approach can be seen as a bit passive aggressive by some.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭cletus

Are you on a path on the narrow roads? if they are country roads with no path, then it shouldn't be an issue, as you'll be on the right, and cyclists will be on the left

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It's really weird because in countries where cycling is more commonplace, they always ring their bell but here cyclists won't even do it on a footpath. It is odd, but I feel sort of rude doing it myself as well even though its better than screaming or plowing into someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

cletus wrote: »
    Are you on a path on the narrow roads? if they are country roads with no path, then it shouldn't be an issue, as you'll be on the right, and cyclists will be on the left

Yes, I'm walking on the right but the roads are narrow and so a polite ring would be nice.

I used to ring my bell about 100 yards from walkers, just to let them know I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's normal in Germany etc, if you did it to the wrong person in Dublin you could be dragged off the bike and bleedin' battered! I think it boils down to that really, people would take it the wrong way here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

cletus wrote: »

Indeed, and where the person IS walking on the "wrong" side, I would still give them a tinkle. Better than a collision, no matter who is at fault.

I actually think a bell is a good idea, and as others (well, most others) have suggested, a quick tinkle of the bell when coming up on someone's blind side, or from behind, will very likely prevent either an accident or a fright.

I cycled for YEARS across Dublin to and from work. Was always well lit, and had a bell - generally only necessary if I thought someone was going to step off the path without looking. Never had an issue with pedestrians when I used it. I'd usually give a wave or a nod as well - its a great way of diffusing potential bad reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Was this in the pre podcast/Spotify/Netflix smartphone wireless ear bud era?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't have a bell on the bike - most of the roads i'm cycling on, if i encounter a pedestrian i have to pass from behind, i either give a very wide berth to and/or call out a hello. often, they'd have headphones in anyway.
    as mentioned above, i've heard a few reports of some pedestrians reacting negatively to bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I always give a little tinkle of the bell when coming up behind pedestrians. Usually follow up with a "thank you" or "sorry for disturbing you".

Avoids collisions. The sound is gentle enough not to be rude but loud enough to be heard. I rarely have to ring a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I don't cycle on the pavement and i don't have a bell. If i come across a pedestrian on the road (usually on rural roads with their back to me) i give them a wide berth and thats it. In most cases though, they usually hear me approaching and move over anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,172 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If the pedestrian is on the opposite side of the road no I wouldn't.
    If they are walking on my side I move to the other side of the road to pass.
    No irish country road I have ever been on is too small for a bike and pedestrian to give each other plenty of room.

I only encounter the the need for my bell in 2 places and one is a stretch of road near UL where families tend to walk side by side along the width of the road and usually ignore the bell until you have stopped right behind them.
    The other is on cycle paths where people walk on them despite a path next to it and have headphones in. I have given up on off road cycle paths in Limerick due to this

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lux23 wrote: »
    It's really weird because in countries where cycling is more commonplace, they always ring their bell but here cyclists won't even do it on a footpath. It is odd, but I feel sort of rude doing it myself as well even though its better than screaming or plowing into someone.

Cyclists shouldn’t be on the footpath. But nonetheless ringing a bell often startled pedestrians and they either freeze , jump forward , backward , of forward then backwards.

So it’s safer the just pass when they are more predictable.

If walking on a road with no path. Pedestrians should walk towards traffic

ted1 wrote: »
    Cyclists shouldn’t be on the footpath. But nonetheless ringing a bell often startled pedestrians and they either freeze , jump forward , backward , of forward then backwards.

I agree on the startling. It's easier to just give a wide berth or if not possible pass very very slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I presume what he meant are those cycle lanes that double as footpaths (see N11 around Cornelscourt for example). I hate them. Prefer not to use them for the reasons you mention. But will regularly be impolitely reminded by car drivers that I should "use the f***ing cycle lane". I find a bell, used properly, invaluable for commuting cycling, especially for letting other cyclists know you want to pass. As another poster mentioned, a simple wave and/ or shout of thanks puts everyone in a better frame of mind than simply blasting past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Tried a bell, found that most people ignored it or gave out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

CapnHex wrote: »
    Was this in the pre podcast/Spotify/Netflix smartphone wireless ear bud era?

hahaha, well yes it was before wireless, but in the days of mp3 players etc. So people still heard my bell, even with earphones.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Anywhere else, id ring the bell, in Ireland it could get you a belt for some reason. I usually start freewheeling from a distance with my incredibly loud, and therefore expensive, freehub so the peasants know to move out of my way.

Seriously though, move as far out of the way as possible, slow so even if they do move suddenly its unlikely to cause either of you injury, freewheel or breathe heavily to alert them to you coming. A nice friendly sounding "lovely day for it" or a thank you if they do move always makes things go well. There are a small number of paths I use that are not wide enough for both but its rare and simply sitting up and waiting to be noticed seems to be the most welcomed. If you are in that much of a rush that you can't wait, then you should have left earlier or not went out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

I cycle regularly on Waterford Greenway and a bell is essential to alert walkers that you are approaching from behind. I very rarely use it on the road however.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

rayman1 wrote: »
    I cycle regularly on Waterford Greenway and a bell is essential to alert walkers that you are approaching from behind. I very rarely use it on the road however.

That's where you want to be using it, using it when it's dark on the new cycleway from North Strand to Samuel Beckett bridge could get you in trouble though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Have always had a bell (Cat-Eye bell - small with a nice sound), use it alot and never afraid to use it either.

Have had some close near misses with folks walking out on the road etc, always a time I didn't use my bell for some reason!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭maebee

Cyclists shouldn’t be on the footpath.

Exactly. I walk 5km every day. I have to walk on a bridge footpath. Every day I'm passed by cyclists, cycling on a foot path. It annoyed me long before Covid but it does my head in now. Which part of 2 metre distance do they not understand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

maebee wrote: »
    Exactly. I walk 5km every day. I have to walk on a bridge footpath. Every day I'm passed by cyclists, cycling on a foot path. It annoyed me long before Covid but it does my head in now. Which part of 2 metre distance do they not understand?

What part of 15 minutes don’t you understand? :pac:

A loud cough seems to be working well recently, people seem more aware of this sound lately for some reason

maebee wrote: »

If it is a footpath that isnt designated for mixed use then its illegal to cycle on.

Mind if I ask what bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've a bell on my commuter and my gravel bike.

I find it very effective on my gravel bike and when I'm on shared trails with the children (where I use my commuter). I wouldn't be without it on the gravel, and would definitely recommend anyone graveling where there's walkers/ hikers too. It's much more effective than a call out - less propensity to freeze the pedestrian in my experience from the few weeks before I fitted it.

When I was commuting on shared paths or where pedestrians were simply ignoring that it was a cycle lane, it generally wasn't that effective as so many had earphones/ headphones/ earbuds. I still wouldn't be without it, and it's actually calmed down a few "startled" earphone wearers when I've pointed out I was ringing my bell!

You should have a bell whether you use it or not just to cover yourself.

I had stripped a fair bit off my bike when I got it but recently learned that it's not just lights at night are mandatory but a rear reflector and a bell are legar requirements to and I don't want crap like that going against me if I am ever in a crash

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

breezy1985 wrote: »
    You should have a bell whether you use it or not just to cover yourself.

I had stripped a fair bit off my bike when I got it but recently learned that it's not just lights at night are mandatory but a rear reflector and a bell are legar requirements to and I don't want crap like that going against me if I am ever in a crash

Not if your bike is adapted for racing, the more you know. What is adapted for racing and what does it mean. It is a statement from the rider since there are no other definitions. My lights also serve as a rear reflector, most lights will. The one you want to watch out for, which I do break (if its still there), is the size of the light. This may have been updated but there used ot be specifications on the size of the light itself if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I have a squeaky brake so I use that rather than the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I do a lot of running in parks etc and encounter cyclists everytime.

I think some cyclists are too shy to use their bell for fear of coming across as a bit obnoxious or rude but personally I would prefer they use their bell- that is what is the for. If a cyclist is coming behind me unheard and I suddenly step across their path then it is a collision.

Cyclists on the whole are good and careful co users. Don't get me started on dog walkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭maebee

breezy1985 wrote: »
    If it is a footpath that isnt designated for mixed use then its illegal to cycle on.

Mind if I ask what bridge

On the Corbally Road, leading to St. Munchin's college. There's barely enough room for 2 people to pass on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement