Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring your bell for pedestrians?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,172 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not if your bike is adapted for racing, the more you know. What is adapted for racing and what does it mean. It is a statement from the rider since there are no other definitions. My lights also serve as a rear reflector, most lights will. The one you want to watch out for, which I do break (if its still there), is the size of the light. This may have been updated but there used ot be specifications on the size of the light itself if I recall correctly.

I always thought adapted for racing meant you actually had to be in a race or going to one so that's good to know.
    The size of the lights hasn't changed which is daft as size no longer has any relation to output. The rules of the road still size "lamps" in inches too which should be as illegal as road signs in miles but hey.

maebee wrote: »
    On the Corbally Road, leading to St. Munchin's college. There's barely enough room for 2 people to pass on it.

Athlunkard bridge is a particularly s****y place for someone to cycle on a path as it has a barrier stopping people from getting out of the way.

Outside of children it's usually scumbags I come across on paths in Limerick and sadly nothing any of us say or do here is gonna stop em

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

During the 5km restrictions I ended up cycling slowly behind a woman on her bike on a narrow country lane. She was gently ringing her bell at a couple walking two abreast away from us but for whatever reason the bell did nothing for them. My "On your left!" worked though.

I find bells pleasant enough, but I understand how some people hear them as a "get out of my way" rather than "here I come".

i don't have a bell on the bike - most of the roads i'm cycling on, if i encounter a pedestrian i have to pass from behind, i either give a very wide berth to and/or call out a hello. often, they'd have headphones in anyway.
    as mentioned above, i've heard a few reports of some pedestrians reacting negatively to bells.

Most cyclists don't have a bell ....... but it's the law I thought?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/cycling/cycling_offences.html#:~:text=All%20bikes%20on%20public%20roads,Vehicles)%20Regulations%201963%20as%20amended.&text=In%20addition%20to%20lights%2C%20your,Front%20and%20rear%20brakes

In addition to lights, your bike must also have:

A bell, which can be heard from a reasonable distance
    Front and rear brakes
    A rear reflector that can be seen from a reasonable distance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

During the 5km restrictions I ended up cycling slowly behind a woman on her bike on a narrow country lane. She was gently ringing her bell at a couple walking two abreast away from us but for whatever reason the bell did nothing for them. My "On your left!" worked though.

I find bells pleasant enough, but I understand how some people hear them as a "get out of my way" rather than "here I come".

Other users should appreciate that it is as much for their safety as the cyclist. If a walker does not hear you and walks into your path causing a collision the pedestrian will damn quick to point fingers that you didnt ring your bell or you were too quiet.

The bell should not be seen as a sign of agrgession "Get the eff out of my way" but a polite "Just letting you know I am here and I don't want to hit you".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

In my view, all bikes should have bells on them and they should be used. End of.

I used to have a run in with the same 2 clowns every week this summer walking on a cycle lane. First week I stopped behind silently until they moved and once I was passed they made a smart remark about a bell, second time I shout from a distance to give them time and I get an ear full that I shouldnt be cycling on the path (cycle lane) 3rd week I use the bell which they ignore.

There's a path and cycle lane on each side of the road and never did these clowns think to reverse their dog walk and walk into traffic rather than back to traffic. But I suppose you will never win with these entitled morons

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Augeo wrote: »
    Most cyclists don't have a bell ....... but it's the law I thought?

Magic's bike is a racing bike, its exempt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I don't cycle on the pavement and i don't have a bell. If i come across a pedestrian on the road (usually on rural roads with their back to me) i give them a wide berth and thats it. In most cases though, they usually hear me approaching and move over anyway.

I'm the same (no pavement/ no bell) but there are still plenty of times when I encounter a pedestrian (step out on road, country lane, Greenway I use sometimes).
    I always try and make a sound (my pawls are loud firy example) but a lot if the to e people are blissfully unaware anyway (headphones/phone etc).

So wide berth and proceed with caution is the only course of action.
    If there is a sudden move/immediate danger (stepping off the kerb for example) then a good roar does the trick.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Lux23 wrote: »
    It's really weird because in countries where cycling is more commonplace, they always ring their bell but here cyclists won't even do it on a footpath. It is odd, but I feel sort of rude doing it myself as well even though its better than screaming or plowing into someone.

I don't think that's true. I live in the Netherlands and No one rings their bell except to alert for danger or to ask room to pass.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I used to have a run in with the same 2 clowns every week this summer walking on a cycle lane. First week I stopped behind silently until they moved and once I was passed they made a smart remark about a bell, second time I shout from a distance to give them time and I get an ear full that I shouldnt be cycling on the path (cycle lane) 3rd week I use the bell which they ignore.

There's a path and cycle lane on each side of the road and never did these clowns think to reverse their dog walk and walk into traffic rather than back to traffic. But I suppose you will never win with these entitled morons

This does my head in while I am running (cyclsts will have the same problem).

Especially during lockdown, middle aged/elderly couples out strolling 3-4 abreast without even the remotest concern or awarness of other users. Or the ones that just stop and stand there chatting bang in the middle of the path- 5-6 of them and everyone else having to go around them.

I recall a few years back running along what is a designated national cycle path through a small park. A middle aged couple sauntering along side by side. Path at that point is only wide enough for two people. Grand.

So a good bit back I purposively scuffed my shoe on the gravel so they would hear me. Sure enough they did hear me as she glanced back. Did they move? No chance.

So as luck would have it as I veered around them onto the grass there happened to a large water puddle which I gleefully jumped right into splashing water everywhere. The couple would have got a good load of dirty rainwater on the legs of their trousers.

Petty- yes. Worth it- absolutely...:D

Thing about the bell is it's fine for pedestrians who are at a distance but if they fail to move when you ring at a distance you then need both hands on the brakes as you get close.

Same for a pedestrian who steps out in front of you a shout is the only option as both hands are again required on the brakes.

So between lack of compliance until you are right up the pedestrians arse and lack of 3 arms in a crisis they are mostly useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

From my pedestrian view point a bell is a no brainer but I get the impression that some may not see them as cool or they are only for kids.
    If I'm on a shared walkway I religiously walk on the left though plenty don't even though signs (certainly around Cork) tell people to do so.
    If someone shouts at me to move out of the way it's likely to get my back up whereas a bell wont.

I recall a few years back running along what is a designated national cycle path through a small park. A middle aged couple sauntering along side by side. Path at that point is only wide enough for two people. Grand.

I assume you mean a shared path.
    Please do not run on a cycle path that is no better than walking on them

Seamai wrote: »
    From my pedestrian view point a bell is a no brainer but I get the impression that some may not see them as cool or they are only for kids...........

Indeed, the racer brigade on their commute to work :rolleyes:

Seamai wrote: »
    From my pedestrian view point a bell is a no brainer but I get the impression that some may not see them as cool or they are only for kids.
    If I'm on a shared walkway I religiously walk on the left though plenty don't even though signs (certainly around Cork) tell people to do so.
    If someone shouts at me to move out of the way it's likely to get my back up whereas a bell wont.

Most people just ignore the bell or react so late you have stopped by then anyway. I would still use it rather than shout but neither seem to have any effect as the shouting just makes people freeze

• Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Thing about the bell is it's fine for pedestrians who are at a distance but if they fail to move when you ring at a distance you then need both hands on the brakes as you get close.

Same for a pedestrian who steps out in front of you a shout is the only option as both hands are again required on the brakes.

So between lack of compliance until you are right up the pedestrians arse and lack of 3 arms in a crisis they are mostly useless

If you need both hands on brakes in dry conditions to stop you're going far too fast anyway in close quarters to pedestrians. Or your brakes are half shagged.

"Racer brigade" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sasal

I use mine on the shared cycle lanes/foothpaths near me or when people have to walk on the road because there's a vehicle parked on the path.
    Sometimes I get a dirty look or ignored but I'd rather I'd use it than not.

I assume you mean a shared path.
    Please do not run on a cycle path that is no better than walking on them

It is a shared path through a quiet country (albeit small) park closed to traffic and cars. This is not along a main road. While is part of a national cycle path it is also designated for other users- benches, dog litter bins etc. Strangely in parts you are not allowed to cycle and there are signs to that effect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

am curious by what people mean by 'shouting'; i assume you mean you call out a hello or a good morning?

am curious by what people mean by 'shouting'; i assume you mean you call out a hello or a good morning?

I mean a loud call. Nothing aggressive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

not to be confused with the 'Hybrid' brigade and the 'Mountain Bike' brigade.

A bike is a bike lads.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    not to be confused with the 'Hybrid' brigade and the 'Mountain Bike' brigade.

A bike is a bike lads.

Just wait till Ireland starts to experience the "Brompton brigade" or the unicyclist commuter I used have to deal with in London

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

We're a brigade now? When do I get my uniform?

Don't have a bell. I've been on a Dublin bike with one and using it was antagonistic. I don't use shared use cycle lanes/ paths cos they're usually just footpads with a line/ red dressing on them. They're really shyte for entrances, usual bad design etc.
    If I have reason to alert people to my presence, it's usually because someone's stepped out onto the road ahead of me, or a runner is running in the cycle lane I'm in :mad: I freewheel either if I'm on a geared bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I mean a loud call. Nothing aggressive

Outta da bleeding way ya dozy bollix....

(Line from The Snapper before I get infracted!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

eeeee wrote: »
    If I have reason to alert people to my presence, it's usually because someone's stepped out onto the road ahead of me, or a runner is running in the cycle lane I'm in :mad: I freewheel either if I'm on a geared bike.
    pretty similar here. the main exception would be when i'm on the fairview to sutton path, but generally if i have to deal with people it's on country roads and it's easiest to just slow down and call out a friendly greeting. a bell would actually be weird in those circumstances, i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I go given out to in Germany for not ringing my bell on forest ride.

My Irish guilt complex thought I'd be annoying them.

When i ring it here, I always say hello too.

Well folk not having a bell as they reckon "all bicycles used in a public place must be fitted with a bell, although there is an exemption for bikes made or adapted specially for racing" is meant in spirit to include folk commuting etc are just acting the pr1ck really.

Stopped in traffic lights on the quays in Dublin on a racer .......... oh I don't need a bell............ it's a racer. lol

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Outta da bleeding way ya dozy bollix....

(Line from The Snapper before I get infracted!)

Watched it recently and have forgotten one of the kids was obsessed with bikes like so many Roche and Kelly obsessed Irish kids in the early 90s

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement