Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide - The Greatest Christmas Song... EVER

Options
  • 02-12-2020 5:40pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had a look in the ould Forum Games archives and was very surprised to see that we have never had a tournament based on this :eek:

Given the month (and year) that's in it, time to dust down the old record collection and play some Christmas Classics!

But... which one is your favourite? Let's find out - tournament style!

And yes yes, we all know we'll have someone come on and say - 'Fairytale of New York - /thread' but that isn't how we do things around here is it :D

So whether you like your Stevens Shakin or your Jinglebells Rocked

Your weather outside frightful or all your nights silent

Your Band Aids from the 80s or the Noughties

Or a whole host of Wizzards hanging your stockings on the wall

PM me your nominations - you can submit up to 7 songs.

I'll collaborate the entries and we'll have the Ultimate Christmas Carol!!!

No end date on entries just yet, depends on volume. Will likely kick things off by 12th December at the latest though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

...and my noms are in.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 86,242 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Oh exciting perfect timing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

And yes yes, we all know we'll have someone come on and say - 'Fairytale of New York - /thread'

I fcuking hate that song and will vote against it in every instance I get a chance to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Omackeral wrote: »
    I fcuking hate that song and will vote against it in every instance I get a chance to.

Eoghan McDermott is that you?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Well I didn't nominate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Loughc wrote: »
    Eoghan McDermott is that you?? :pac:

He's a wankpuffin of the highest order. I hate how revered it is. There are far better imo. Anyway, my list is in Necro!

I really love Darlene Love with All Alone On Christmas from Home Alone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Omackeral wrote: »
    He's a wankpuffin of the highest order. I hate how revered it is. There are far better imo. Anyway, my list is in Necro!

I also accept **** pheasant

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

66 entries so far - 6 of those having more than one nomination.

Keep em coming folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

There hasn't been a bona fide classic Christmas song since the 90s. Lots of songs have tried since but they just can't capture the public's imagination like the ones from the 70s and 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

And on that point of yours the purple tin...

There are a few different versions of songs submitted, I think rather than have them all included i might run a pre game battle on these and the best version as voted by yourselves progresses to the tournament.

Or I can just chuck em all in the pot and let ye vote them in or out as the case may be, I really don't mind

I like the pre game idea for different versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

I like the idea of mini battles within the competition for the best version of each song!

But either works for me. :)

Necro wrote: »
    66 entries so far - 6 of those having more than one nomination.

Keep em coming folks!

How many can one nominate at a time?

Loughc wrote:
    How many can one nominate at a time?

Up to 7 songs :)

Up to 7 songs :)

Sent :)

Thanks for organising this, looking forward to it.

Loughc wrote:
    Thanks for organising this, looking forward to it.

Feel free to pimp it in the Christmas forum ;)

Feel free to pimp it in the Christmas forum ;)

Done :)

And while I have everyone's attention don't forget to drop by and say hello during the festive season or even after it, we're here all year :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1295

Loughc wrote: »
    Done :)

And while I have everyone's attention don't forget to drop by and say hello during the festive season or even after it, we're here all year :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1295

Even if you just yearn for New Year?

Do you have a humbug section?:)

Purgative wrote: »
    Do you have a humbug section?:)

That's called After Hours :P

• Advertisement

Up to 88 individual Christmas songs submitted, 15 of which have more than one nomination

Some have FIVE :eek:

Another day or so and we will see how we're fixed for kicking things off...

If you haven't sent your nominations still time to do so!!!

And on that point of yours the purple tin...

There are a few different versions of songs submitted, I think rather than have them all included i might run a pre game battle on these and the best version as voted by yourselves progresses to the tournament.

Or I can just chuck em all in the pot and let ye vote them in or out as the case may be, I really don't mind

I don't mind either ;) so happy with which ever is chosen

I know I nominated certain artists version of particular songs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I was having a nosey at the all the Irish Xmas no 1 singles.

It was actually very rare for a Christmas song to be the Christmas no 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

My list is in and I dont celebrate Christmas but decided to join you all in the spirit of the season.

I had to give up on putting one particular song on my list... couldnt decide who I liked best singing it..bing sinatra ella doris dean como the orginal or even modern versions.. cant wait to see if it made anyones list and what version.

105 songs now in with 27 songs nominated more than once.

We have 5 songs now with 5 or more nominations, this is hotting up nicely.

I'm going to close up nominations at midnight tonight so last chance saloon, then we will see about starting pretty shortly afterwards.

Maybe even tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Haven't really heard much Christmas songs this year, I'm sure that will change especially with this competition starting soon. There are some class Christmas songs out there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I just submitted an entry.

Nominations are officially closed -

Tournament Thread is now LIVE....

See you all at 3pm!

Advertisement