Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Perenara signed with the Hurricanes, so much for his NRL experiment with the Roosters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

hahashake wrote: »
    Quality player that never quite developed an all round game à la Nonu, but still a loss for the Hurricanes and NZ (and gain for Stade).

Plays rugby like a league player. Awful vision at times this season. A really poor mans Nonu. Just didn’t kick on like he could have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

He always reminded me of Fekitoa. On his day he could be devastating. Absolute gamebreaker. But other games he would go missing or make really stupid errors in both defense and attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Is Vince Aso injured or out of favour at the moment?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,485 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Is Vince Aso injured or out of favour at the moment?

i hadnt heard of any injury, but is so, he seems to have been pushed down the ladder by umaga-jensen who is now first choice midfield and laumape. proctor seems to be preferred on the bench too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Captain's challenge will be dropped for SRTT. Probably for the best but I would have liked to see it tweaked rather than dropped entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i hadnt heard of any injury, but is so, he seems to have been pushed down the ladder by umaga-jensen who is now first choice midfield and laumape. proctor seems to be preferred on the bench too.

Such a shame, about 3 seasons ago he was looking like a special talent and was really purring in midfield...I know he did have a few injuries last year, hopefully he pushes on and gets back to his best

Well there's a door open to him now that laumape is going. He's young enough as well.

hahashake wrote: »
    Captain's challenge will be dropped for SRTT. Probably for the best but I would have liked to see it tweaked rather than dropped entirely.

Good riddance. I want rugby not stop start American football.

It was used appalling too. The worst being the week before the last when a captain made a challenge looking for a penalty...and his side got penalised instead!

The 20 minute red card is a winner and, IMHO, certain to be adopted by World Rugby.

Goal Line drop out, I'm starting to warm to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭theVersatile

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Good riddance. I want rugby not stop start American football.

It was used appalling too. The worst being the week before the last when a captain made a challenge looking for a penalty...and his side got penalised instead!

The 20 minute red card is a winner and, IMHO, certain to be adopted by World Rugby.

Goal Line drop out, I'm starting to warm to it.

I respect your honesty but how on earth do you think the 20 minute red card is a winner? Whatever about the goaline drop out - I'd get over that (and I have seen teams make a conscious effort not to get held up when picking and jamming so it's definitely fulfilled its purpose of removing scrums and promoting wider play); but the 20 minute red card is a joke from a player safety point of view. I hate the argument that "reds ruin games" unless the team with 14 makes some miraculous rally to win a la Munster v Glasgow Axel Game.

• Advertisement

20 min red card is a good introduction in my opinion.

But it should be run alongside stricter sanctions and none of this "wore a tie" 50% off bs

I respect your honesty but how on earth do you think the 20 minute red card is a winner? Whatever about the goaline drop out - I'd get over that (and I have seen teams make a conscious effort not to get held up when picking and jamming so it's definitely fulfilled its purpose of removing scrums and promoting wider play); but the 20 minute red card is a joke from a player safety point of view. I hate the argument that "reds ruin games" unless the team with 14 makes some miraculous rally to win a la Munster v Glasgow Axel Game.

I like my rugby 15 vs 15 with no preordained victor because someone sent off after 5 minutes. The player can’t return and faces the judiciary but after 20 minutes we are back to 15 vs 15.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I like my rugby 15 vs 15 with no preordained victor because someone sent off after 5 minutes. The player can’t return and faces the judiciary but after 20 minutes we are back to 15 vs 15.

I agree. Red cards are too much of a game changer, plus you get harsh/questionable red cards as well as completely missed red card incidents (SOB v France 30 seconds into a match). This is a happy medium, where the offending player will still pay a major price.

Will player welfare suffer? I doubt it, but we'll see if it's adopted long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

20 min red card is a good introduction in my opinion.

But it should be run alongside stricter sanctions and none of this "wore a tie" 50% off bs

Did you see Will Addison and Mike Brown's red cards last weekend? Out and out thuggery. No team should be allowed to return to 15 after those kinds of red cards.

Caranica wrote: »
    Did you see Will Addison and Mike Brown's red cards last weekend? Out and out thuggery. No team should be allowed to return to 15 after those kinds of red cards.

Had those red cards happened in the 70th min would the impact on each players team been the same??

Why should the time of the red card have an influence on the degree of sanction on the offenders team??

If world rugby want to change players behaviour they need to stay taking the sanctioning (banning) of the players more seriously.
    The 20 min red card wasn't there the last time Addison was banned for a high hit, so it's clear that it didn't play any part on his actions last Friday.

Its simply an unequivocal argument that the timing of a red card has an unbalanced effect on the offenders team, and therefore effects the meritocratic outcome of a game, and by default, a competition. The 20 min red attempts to counter that unbalance while still penalising the offenders team to a degree.

Had finn Russell been sent off after 10 mins against France for his offence, would the outcome of the competition been the same?? Had we been able to replace POM in the first game, would the outcome have been the same?? It's clear that the time factor of a red card has a seriously unbalanced effect on a whole competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Had those red cards happened in the 70th min would the impact on each players team been the same??

Why should the time of the red card have an influence on the degree of sanction on the offenders team??

If world rugby want to change players behaviour they need to stay taking the sanctioning (banning) of the players more seriously.
    The 20 min red card wasn't there the last time Addison was banned for a high hit, so it's clear that it didn't play any part on his actions last Friday.

Its simply an unequivocal argument that the timing of a red card has an unbalanced effect on the offenders team, and therefore effects the meritocratic outcome of a game, and by default, a competition. The 20 min red attempts to counter that unbalance while still penalising the offenders team to a degree.

Had finn Russell been sent off after 10 mins against France for his offence, would the outcome of the competition been the same?? Had we been able to replace POM in the first game, would the outcome have been the same?? It's clear that the time factor of a red card has a seriously unbalanced effect on a whole competition.

I think for me part of the issue is that a red card covers such a broad array of incidents these days.

For example, a tackle that rides up high, or like what happened with Aki where he was standing his ground and just had poor tackle technique, versus what Brown did, or diving into a ruck with no-arms, or a cheap shot etc, they should both really fall under different sanctions either way you go with it (whether it's the 20 minute red or the previous red means you're off).

Personally would be in favour of the current red card rules with exceptions for acts of play that are severely dangerous being the team is down a man for the remainder of the game regardless of the time left on the clock.

I do agree that current we're seeing so many cards that have such an adverse affect on the matches, I think a couple of the Welsh wins really highlight this, but at the same time for really dodgy acts it just feels a bit soft that it's basically just two consecutive yellows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think for me part of the issue is that a red card covers such a broad array of incidents these days.

For example, a tackle that rides up high, or like what happened with Aki where he was standing his ground and just had poor tackle technique, versus what Brown did, or diving into a ruck with no-arms, or a cheap shot etc, they should both really fall under different sanctions either way you go with it (whether it's the 20 minute red or the previous red means you're off).

Personally would be in favour of the current red card rules with exceptions for acts of play that are severely dangerous being the team is down a man for the remainder of the game regardless of the time left on the clock.

I do agree that current we're seeing so many cards that have such an adverse affect on the matches, I think a couple of the Welsh wins really highlight this, but at the same time for really dodgy acts it just feels a bit soft that it's basically just two consecutive yellows.

A different card for non malicious dangerous play could cover that. Leave a red for deliberately dangerous stuff, like punches or smashing a guy in a ruck like POM did. Difficult to manage perhaps, but it would at least allow for some latitude for the ref.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

€42 early bird offer for Trans-Tasman tournament on RugbyPass. I know there are more than double the games each week, but the tournament is only six weeks long. No doubt they’ll drop the price as it goes along again (they were only charging €5 by the week of the NZ final).

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

A different card for non malicious dangerous play could cover that. Leave a red for deliberately dangerous stuff, like punches or smashing a guy in a ruck like POM did. Difficult to manage perhaps, but it would at least allow for some latitude for the ref.

I am completely on board for this. But people will still fight over the grey area.

icdg wrote: »
    €42 early bird offer for Trans-Tasman tournament on RugbyPass. I know there are more than double the games each week, but the tournament is only six weeks long. No doubt they’ll drop the price as it goes along again (they were only charging €5 by the week of the NZ final).

that €5 was only for 1 game, the final

have you seen anywhere yet that its possible to subscribe? i cant find a link on rugby pass

• Advertisement

Up the top of the page, in blue.

https://www.liverugby.net/viewplans

I actually think the 20 minute rule might lead to more red cards and therefore better safety in the long run.

Currently, the ref who sends some one off after 5 minutes knows he has killed the match, and might be reluctant unless extremely blatant red.

Up the top of the page, in blue.

https://www.liverugby.net/viewplans

There's no option once I login.
    I've emailed customer service to find out the story

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I agree. At the moment a badly timed tackle has the same punishment as deliberately eye gouging an opponent. I'd be happy with deliberate thuggery and your team is down a man for the rest of the match. Bad timing or misjudgment and its 20 minutes and the offending player can't return.

Sometimes (when the commentators STFU for a second) you hear the process that the refs go through. If the starting point is the player was always committing an illegal act like no arms and they connect with the head then it's red. I'm fine with that.

There's no option once I login.
    I've emailed customer service to find out the story

I’m not sure how you do it. On the website, if you log in it takes you into the VOD web app. You can click on “Trans Tasman” under “Continue Watching” and then it offers you an “Upgrade your membership” but if you click it it says “Unfortunately you cannot upgrade on a pre pay plan” (I didn’t think there was any other type of plan!). So yeah…stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My problem is the number of games on during a Friday work day. I'm a live or not at all viewer so I'm in two minds over this.

Just got this email regarding subscribing to the super rugby:
    Technical Issue Notice
    Are you unable to purchase a Super Rugby Trans-Tasman subscription? We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties, but we are working hard to fix this issue.
    It has come to our attention that some of our existing subscribers to liverugby.net are unable to purchase a new subscription to Super Rugby Trans-Tasman. We are working as fast as we can to have this technical issue resolved. We will make contact with you again when existing subscribers can purchase a Super Rugby Trans-Tasman subscription without an issue. Thank you for your patience at this time

I'm sure it's happened before but Mike Alaalatoa faces off against his brother Alan, both THs, when crusaders play brumbies this weekend.

Handsome Rob back at 15 for the force this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Does anyone know if you can connect to Rugbypass from two different devices at the same time?

🤪

Advertisement