Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby 2021

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

Caranica wrote: »
    Red card for D Mac. Game over

Absolutely stupid tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

fitz wrote: »
    Absolutely stupid tackle.

The chiefs were poor with 15, they've gone to pieces with 14. Let's see how they do when they're back to 15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

At least it got the Aussies off the duck. That wouldn't have been good for the sport.

basill wrote: »
    At least it got the Aussies off the duck. That wouldn't have been good for the sport.

It was kinda amusing though :D

Starting to wonder why I set my alarm to watch this at 6am on a Sunday morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

2 more wins for NZ sides over Aussie opposition. Blues going particularly well in Trans Tasman competition.

2 more wins for NZ sides over Aussie opposition. Blues going particularly well in Trans Tasman competition.

I think it's more Crusaders being off their usual dazzling form. I know they rested a lot of players this weekend but that's two bonus points they've missed out on. Blues v Reds was a cracking game.

I thought the Reds first two tries were very dubious. Massive forward pass for the first, no idea how that wasn't called back.

Still, it helped to make a game of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭einn32

Crazy end to that game!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Great game!
    Jordie is fallible after all.

I expect both blues and crusaders to get 5 pointers next weekend and make the final, but highlanders at least have it on their own hands to get there

• Advertisement

That was proof that low scoring games can be both exciting and entertaining.

I'm currently breaking my own rule of live only and watching the Highlanders game back, even though I know the result. Just too comfy on the couch!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Great game!
    Jordie is fallible after all.

I expect both blues and crusaders to get 5 pointers next weekend and make the final, but highlanders at least have it on their own hands to get there

I'm confused. I thought there had to be one team from each country in the final.

I'm confused. I thought there had to be one team from each country in the final.

Not from what I've read???

https://www.world.rugby/news/636244/super-rugby-trans-tasman-2021-guide

According to this its top two teams.

Kinda VERY pointless if the final is between team placed 1 versus 6

Trans Tasman Table shows serious gulf between NZ and Australian teams.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Trans Tasman Table shows serious gulf between NZ and Australian teams.

It’s a bit like the late not very lamented Anglo Welsh Cup in that you have effectively two groups, but instead of the teams playing the teams in their own group, the teams are playing the teams in the other group.

Now I’m not sure if anyone ever argued that worked for the AWC, but it certainly does not work in a competition where all of the strong teams are in one group and all of the weaker teams are in the other. None of the stronger teams can take points off each other as normally happens in a league situation.

So going into Round 5, there is the strong possibility that with no less than three teams on 4-0, and the entire possibility that those three teams will finish 5-0, that the finalists will be selected by either BP or points difference.

Hopefully next year the necessity for the separate NZ and AU legs will be gone and there will be something looking like a fully interlocking schedule.

so highlanders have done all they can to book a final place, with a 12 - 33 win over the brumbies.

crusaders have to beat the rebels by 33 with a TBP to ensure a place
    blues just need to beat the force to ensure a place

if points difference is the same between highlanders and crusaders then im not sure of the next qualifying factor... could be 'trys for' which will suit the crusaders, or it could be 'discipline', which will suit the highlanders.

Australian rugby fans must be spitting in their soup at these onesided mismatches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Jesus the crusaders are something else 14-0 up after 5 minuites, there in a different league.

Crusaders couldn't make the gap, won by 26 where 33 was the goal

Highlanders into the final!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Crusaders couldn't make the gap, won by 26 where 33 was the goal

Highlanders into the final!!!!

The drop by Ennor was the 7 point difference they lacked.

https://streamable.com/bic9yj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Kearney on the scoresheet , nice little cameo

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Final teams:

Blues: Zarn Sullivan, Bryce Heem, Rieko Ioane, TJ Faiane, Mark Telea, Otere Black, Finlay Christie; Hoskins Sotutu, Dalton Papalii, Akira Ioane, Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, Patrick Tuipulotu (capt), Nepo Laulala, Kurt Eklund, Alex Hodgman.
    Reserves: Ray Niuia, Karl Tu’inukuafe, Marcel Renata, Josh Goodhue, Blake Gibson, Jonathan Ruru, Harry Plummer, AJ Lam.

Highlanders: Josh Ioane, Sio Tomkinson, Michael Collins, Scott Gregory, Jona Nareki, Mitch Hunt, Aaron Smith (cc), Kazuki Himeno, Billy Harmon, Hugh Renton, Bryn Evans, Pari Pari Parkinson, Siate Tokolahi, Ash Dixon (cc), Ethan de Groot.
    Reserves: Liam Coltman, Ayden Johnstone, Josh Hohneck, Josh Dickson, James Lentjes, Kayne Hammington, Sam Gilbert, Teariki Ben-Nicholas

No Beauden Barrett despite training with the team fresh out of quarantine from Japan.

In other news, fringe AB Lachlan Boshier is off to Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

From the Blues FB page.

highlanders for the easy win ;)

Syd, kindly **** off!! This is our year!!

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Syd, kindly **** off!! This is our year!!

wouldnt it be just like the Blues to fcuk it up, just when they get to a final without the crusaders in it ???

:D

ah seriously though, your guys are rightly favourites for this.
    i think on paper youve a much better team than us.

however, as shown in 2015, never write off the highlanders....

wouldnt it be just like the Blues to fcuk it up, just when they get to a final without the crusaders in it ???

:D

This is exactly the problem. It would be just like the Blues to screw up their first chance at silver ware in nearly 20 years. I'm not quite at RWC 2011 levels of nervousness but I'm not a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

As good as Robinson has been, that is a killer loose forward trio for the Blues.

hahashake wrote: »
    As good as Robinson has been, that is a killer loose forward trio for the Blues.

Gutted for Robinson though. Hard to believe he doesn't have Irish heritage with that glorious red hair either.

Really hope Blues can do it, as a Munster supporter I see many parallels, but really need some silverware :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

highlanders for the easy win ;)

Yep - it's Ash Dixon's and Aaron Smith's year! Shame that Fakatava is injured.

Advertisement