Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby 2021

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,485 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hahashake wrote: »
    Regan starting again for the Highlanders, and Fakatava/Ioane as the starting 9/10 combo.

great sign for regan that hes considered ahead of a fit MSR who would be more experienced than him, even if Regan is the older of the two.

plenty of rotation for the highlanders.
    hopefully we catch the chiefs a little cold...

and make sure not to give gatland a drop goal chance if its that close at the end :D

rob kearney gets the start again for the force

they have a real chance of their first super rugby win since july 2017 !

however im not convinced they have enough outright speed in the backs.
    their centers are 35 and 29 respectively, with a 32 year old winger on one side and a 34 year old full back.

ralston on the right wing at 20 is absolutely rapid though

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TeholB

Great 2nd half by the Highlanders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The ref is wrecking my head. Ignored a tackle in the air but a hair offside and it's a penalty. Huge difference between this guy and Ben O'Keeffe

TeholB wrote: »
    Great 2nd half by the Highlanders.

Yellow cards in the first half really hurt us.

Surprised no card yet for the chiefs in the second half

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    The ref is wrecking my head. Ignored a tackle in the air but a hair offside and it's a penalty. Huge difference between this guy and Ben O'Keeffe

I agree that that wasn't a tackle in the air.

You should not be rewarded for a bad pass and a jump to receive it

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

That charge down from Gatland was probably a 14-point swing. Crazy stupid considering they had numbers 15m out from the line.

I actually like the Highlanders away kit. Certainly easier on the eyes than fluoro green.

That charge down from Gatland was probably a 14-point swing. Crazy stupid considering they had numbers 15m out from the line.

I actually like the Highlanders away kit. Certainly easier on the eyes than fluoro green.

thats the 2degrees kit... all the teams have one...

Highlanders_Rugby_Primeblue_Alternate_Replica_Jersey_White_GK3782_21_model.jpg

last years highlanders was gorgeous too

38113118_l.jpg

Kearney records his first win - pretty good game to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭PMC83

Enjoyed the game, delighted for the Force but it has to be said they weren't great, neither the Tahs. Lots of lads standing super deep for the Force, but not even running onto it! Literally loosing 5 meters with every pass.

Just watched the Chiefs V Highlanders highlights too, still a serious gulf in class between those Oz and NZ super rugby sides

• Advertisement

PMC83 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the game, delighted for the Force but it has to be said they weren't great, neither the Tahs. Lots of lads standing super deep for the Force, but not even running onto it! Literally loosing 5 meters with every pass.

Just watched the Chiefs V Highlanders highlights too, still a serious gulf in class between those Oz and NZ super rugby sides

agreed, i think the ethos is completely difference due to the gulf in basic skills.

at one stage i think it was Nawaqanitawase who made a great run up the right and tried a 'behind the hand' offload out of the tackle .. but it went behind the target and out of play. The commentators were quite damning of him trying it and said he'll learn not to do that in the future... which was quite disappointing. This leads to heavy runners looking for contact and recycling rather than wining the tack and freeing the hands.

couple that with the number of offloads in the chiefs landers game.. from everyone from locks and props to wide guys. More often than not they are sticking.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    agreed, i think the ethos is completely difference due to the gulf in basic skills.

at one stage i think it was Nawaqanitawase who made a great run up the right and tried a 'behind the hand' offload out of the tackle .. but it went behind the target and out of play. The commentators were quite damning of him trying it and said he'll learn not to do that in the future... which was quite disappointing. This leads to heavy runners looking for contact and recycling rather than wining the tack and freeing the hands.

couple that with the number of offloads in the chiefs landers game.. from everyone from locks and props to wide guys. More often than not they are sticking.

What do you think about Gatland at the Chiefs? Is he on a years absence now? The optics not great with him away in Europe and so many losses on the bounce.

https://twitter.com/seanny202/status/1367626984642146304

Some context. Australia simply doesn't have the ability to hold on to top players or the depth to bring in new guys at a high level like NZ. Pretty sure you could make a better 23 of ex-Waratahs players still playing in Europe.

What do you think about Gatland at the Chiefs? Is he on a years absence now? The optics not great with him away in Europe and so many losses on the bounce.

well when he was there they were losing every week so que sera sera.

he had the break written into his contract when he signed so its not going to effect him really... if anything being away this season might actually suit him if they keep losing.

hes not doing his all black hopes much good though.

https://twitter.com/seanny202/status/1367626984642146304

Some context. Australia simply doesn't have the ability to hold on to top players or the depth to bring in new guys at a high level like NZ. Pretty sure you could make a better 23 of ex-Waratahs players still playing in Europe.

Yeah I get that alright. Its a big shame tbh. You'd worry for the game there at this stage.

Sure their back line is young, but the skill level is just worrying low. You see NZ and Irish sides fielding young backlines but theres a skill and zip there. It's just not present in a lot of the oz super rugby sides unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Can't find any highlights of Waratahs vs Force on Youtube. Anyone any links to highlights?

Can't find any highlights of Waratahs vs Force on Youtube. Anyone any links to highlights?

Give it an hour or two.
    Yeah I get that alright. Its a big shame tbh. You'd worry for the game there at this stage.

Sure their back line is young, but the skill level is just worrying low. You see NZ and Irish sides fielding young backlines but theres a skill and zip there. It's just not present in a lot of the oz super rugby sides unfortunately.

There is also the ever-present pull of the dominant football codes, I don't follow Australian school rugby closely but I know that lot of guys with options will go to the NRL or AFL. Even NZ Union schoolboys go to the NRL if they are offered a big contract at a young age.

Give it an hour or two.

There is also the ever-present pull of the dominant football codes, I don't follow Australian school rugby closely but I know that lot of guys with options will go to the NRL or AFL. Even NZ Union schoolboys go to the NRL if they are offered a big contract at a young age.

I remember Matty Williams on Off the Ball about a year back, saying union was expensive to join there, bit of financial pressure on parents and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Australia has always had a problem losing players to league. Back in the 80s and early 90s it was like a flood. Many of their great league players in that era, started in union. The trend stopped and even reversed for a while in the late 90s and noughties due to rugby going pro and the Super League war. I think the ARU got complacent during that period and never fixed the problems they have at the grassroots level. If they had they wouldn't be in the **** now.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/freak-of-nature-last-ditch-olympic-pitch-to-lure-suaalii-to-rugby-20200607-p550a2.html

Perfect example story. Freakish athlete, played age grade Union at a top school and represented Australia at the Schoolboys level. Now in the NRL on a massive contract.

• Advertisement

I just can't get excited about Super Rugby Australia compared to Aotearoa. I've my alarm set for 3.30am Sunday for the Crusaders game but I'll happily skip the Australian stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I didn't see the Waratahs game but a mate who was at the game sent a few pics. The bastard. Said Kearney played well. He came over to them at the end and took a few selfies, spent a few mins chatting to the kids too. Not a bad oul skin for a Leinster lad...

Yeah, always seemed like a decent lad. Probably happy to see a few Irish fans too!

Are the NZ and Aus leagues going to overlap at all?

Are the NZ and Aus leagues going to overlap at all?

theyre joining up for a trans-tasman league in may / june

https://super.rugby/superrugby/news/2021-super-rugby-trans-tasman-schedule-finalised/

sydthebeat wrote: »
    theyre joining up for a trans-tasman league in may / june

https://super.rugby/superrugby/news/2021-super-rugby-trans-tasman-schedule-finalised/

And a whole new subscription needed for that I'm sure. RugbyPass quality is amazing but I'm so annoyed with Sky for fecking up.

Narekis stats today included:

4 clean breaks
    9 defenders beaten
    1 try assist
    195 meters run
    3 trys scored

Not a bad day at the office

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Regan wasn’t too bad but he is at least 10 kg too light imo.

How come World Rugby broadcasts Super Rugby Australia for free yet we have to pay for Super Rugby Aotearoa? Both were on Sky last season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Caranica wrote: »
    How come World Rugby broadcasts Super Rugby Australia for free yet we have to pay for Super Rugby Aotearoa? Both were on Sky last season.

That is a good spot (Super Rugby AU on world.rugby). I hadn’t heard anything about it! (Here for anyone interested: https://www.world.rugby/super-rugby/tournament-hub )

The answer to the question, in summary is: Sky’s deal with Sanzaar is finished. Sanzaar couldn’t reach a new deal by the start of the SR season. The NZRU requested and were allowed to do a solo deal with RugbyPass just for Super Rugby Aoteara. Super Rugby AU were left with no broadcaster.

Advertisement