Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I see the Christmas street traders are allowed now

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

elperello wrote: »
    You are probably thinking of Rudy Giuliani.

Cleaning up NYC was child's play compared to his current gig :)

Yes just thought of the man he once was, and is now reduced to sweating in front of Trump. But he did good in his day just the same IMO. NY is probably safer than places like Dublin.

Yes just thought of the man he once was, and is now reduced to sweating in front of Trump. But he did good in his day just the same IMO. NY is probably safer than places like Dublin.

It was the same attitude that did it though. He hasn't changed.

He saturated the area with police and untied their hands. It had its fans and foes then too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Debenhams boarded up with tents outside. Hordes of teenagers in tracksuits with JD Sports bags, trying to look and sound like drug dealers. Junkies and dipsos shuffling and moaning everywhere. P**ing rain. Don't get me started on the amount of fat people everywhere.

That's before the trader's set up shop.

If you could just teleport to the entrance of Arnotts or M&S, Henry St would be a lot more pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

It was the same attitude that did it though. He hasn't changed.

He saturated the area with police and untied their hands. It had its fans and foes then too
    He made it so that the police stopped & searched people that had committed any sort of infraction- jumping Turnstiles at the subway for example. If you were caught with a weapon you were going to jail therefore the knuckle heads decided to leave their weapons at home.
    When the disputes on the streets happened between mainly minority young men they were not able to whip out a weapon in the heat of the moment & the death rate plummeted.
    I've livedthere through all of this, it was very simple but effective.
    He did also increase the number of cops but also forced them to do their job through the use of comstat- the amount of donuts sold also plummeted

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I really feel sorry for Arnotts, the effort they make on their front window display to be then hidden by what resembles a disorganised car boot sale selling utter sheite that makes Dealz look like Harrods.

Im always surprised that Arnotts and the Jervis dont protest the situation more strongly. They are there paying their rates to the council for 12 months a year and then in the busiest month of the year DCC allows a gaggle of casual traders set up outside their doors. Could you imagine the war that would break out if DCC tried to allow the same thing happen outside Brown Thomas?

Ive no problems with traders being allowed but the quality of whats sold is lacking on Henry Street. Theres thousands of artists and craftsmen who would love to have a pitch like that and they'd come with some great and unique products. But instead what we have there is a discount version of Dealz and Euroland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Lots of "stuff" under the counter/pram aswell. DCC were asleep at the wheel here. Along with the Guards and Revenue too. But maybe they just turned a blind eye, like they do along Moore Street too.

A few years back (8 or 10), one of the traders rang Joe Duffy complaining that Customs, Revenue and Social Welfare were down checking on them. They had the Gardai with them to prevent intimidation. The trader openly admitted to selling contrabrand and to working while being on the dole.

Duffy got fairly worked up, attacking Customs, Revenue and SW. He also had a few snide digs at the Gardai. His whole attitude was that there was nothing criminal going on, that it's only tradition and they have the right to make a couple of bob to put a log on the fire at Christmas. Painted it proper Dickensian.

At the same time he had digs at traditional Christmas markets, being 'above their station'. He forgot to tell us that he flew abroad with the family to visit one of these markets on more than one occasion and that he was seen in BT more than once in December.

I also doubt he gets his turkey from Iceland, I'd say its from one of the finer eateries in Clontarf/Howth.

You can't win with the likes of Duffy on the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Could you imagine the war that would break out if DCC tried to allow the same thing happen outside Brown Thomas?

I thought brown Thomas and arnotts were owned by the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

They sell other stuff too?
    Why am I only hearing this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Was in Henry & Moore st today, only saw one guy selling liverpool face masks outside JD sports. Were the rest moved on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Dublin needs a proper Christmas market with high quality food, gifts, crafts, art etc. The stuff on Henry Street is an embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

There was a few nice little stalls set up in St. Anne's on Saturday. Every one of them better quality than anything being sold at Henry Street's stalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Tusky wrote: »
    Dublin needs a proper Christmas market with high quality food, gifts, crafts, art etc. The stuff on Henry Street is an embarrassment.
    ixoy wrote: »
    There was a few nice little stalls set up in St. Anne's on Saturday. Every one of them better quality than anything being sold at Henry Street's stalls.

What's needed is a proper policy from DCC regarding markets.

There is a deal to be done.

Markets can increase footfall and improve business for shopkeepers as well as stallholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there was a market in Dublin Castle courtyard last year, had some nice stalls at it, and in a nice location. More of this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

McGaggs wrote: »
    I thought brown Thomas and arnotts were owned by the same company.

Not only are they owned by the same company, they've slowly been operationally merged so its just two nameplates on the same business, legally so as of today oddly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

They were flogging the vaccine on Moore street today, Get your vaccines two for a Pfizer

Advertisement