Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Electricity Provider - any catch there?

Options
  • 02-12-2020 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

I am just looking at electricity providers and comparing offers. Is there any catch with so called "cash back"? I am with Bord Gais at the moment (I think I have a 27% discount with them) and the bonkers results are showing for example savings of over €200 per year with Electric Ireland if the cash back is included. Are these savings real or is there anything to be aware of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Once you've accurately put in your usage, yes the savings are real.

Be aware not to switch while still in a contract term with another operator (e.g. less than 12 months on from a previous switch)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I moved to glow power, the bills are monthly instead of bi monthly...

Comes along much faster and bills are all over the place ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I moved to glow power, the bills are monthly instead of bi monthly...

Comes along much faster and bills are all over the place ..
    What do you mean by all over the place? Non fixed value each month?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Seweryn wrote: »
    What do you mean by all over the place? Non fixed value each month?

Yeah 1st one was high second was like 40 then 50 then 139 then 180 etc etc.... To input a reading on the site is extremely difficult. Had to give up as kept timing out.
    They were giving the best rate so I hope I will have saved in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

IF you submit direct to ESB Networks do they pass it on to the operator immediately or only every couple of months? Im also with Glow and their website is a joke so would prefer avoid dealing with it if I can. But they bill monthly and I dont want any estimated bills so I have to read it every month for them.

I would hope that the system is basically live for updates rather than batched but I don't know. Its certainly not months.

A number of providers I've had ask for meter numbers, which I don't have - it went missing when the night half of the meter was removed some time before I owned the house - so I've always had to use the ESBN site and not had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭3d4life

L1011 wrote: »
    I would hope that the system is basically live for updates rather than batched but I don't know. Its certainly not months.....

IME takes a couple of days to go from ESBN to supplier.

OP, I presume you own and are not renting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

3d4life wrote: »
    OP, I presume you own and are not renting ?
    That is right, i.e. not planning moving any time soon.

Advertisement