Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1440p 144HZ or 4k UW

Options

Comments

Running games at 240hz has nothing to do with the speed of your internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Running games at 240hz has nothing to do with the speed of your internet.

No it doesn't, but when you're lagging in everything 240hz is kinda pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Looking to upgrade monitor and unsure of what I should go for.

Currently running this 1080p 240Hz monitor as my main with a drawing tablet as my second screen a 24" Huion. Looking to upgrade my monitor im sick of the blurry resolution and 240HZ is kinda no good when your internet is no good.

So was thinking of maybe a step to 1440p 144hz preferably with an IPS panel.

Any suggestions would be great.

Below is the current monitor.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predator-XB252Qbmiprzx-ZeroFrame-Adjustable/dp/B01N5OD4S1/ref=sr_1_1?crid=22OT3KZV2YXPG&dchild=1&keywords=xb252q&qid=1606943123&sprefix=xb252q%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-1

what system specs are you running? cpu and gpu? you need oooomph to run a monitor at 240mhz

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    what system specs are you running? cpu and gpu? you need oooomph to run a monitor at 240mhz

Ryzen 3700x Rtx 2070 super. Mostly run things on low settings. No problems running it, it's the colour variations and ghosting that bother me. Also I want to upgrade from 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Ryzen 3700x Rtx 2070 super. Mostly run things at low settings .

Why? Use a 1080 and everything at max settings and still rock at least 60FPS easy enough except Arma but that’s another issue.

• Advertisement

Why? Use a 1080 and everything at max settings and still rock at least 60FPS easy enough except Arma but that’s another issue.

Depends on the game some have major FPS drops if there's a lot going on. For example I run warzone capped at 120 FPS on medium. It's a happy medium between high frame rate and decent looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I went link it again but Hardware Unboxed on youtube recently did a round up of the best monitors of 2020. I'd recommend 1440P UW over 4K standard widescreen. I find it very immersive and it's much easier to drive than 4K hardwarewise.

I went link it again but Hardware Unboxed on youtube recently did a round up of the best monitors of 2020. I'd recommend 1440P UW over 4K standard widescreen. I find it very immersive and it's much easier to drive than 4K hardwarewise.

I only watched it there about a half hour ago after finding it linked in Reddit. I had the same take away that 1440p UW is the best option at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I only watched it there about a half hour ago after finding it linked in Reddit. I had the same take away that 1440p UW is the best option at the moment.

There is a mini-me thread on Ultrawides.

Mini-mega not mini me :D

There is a mini-me thread on Ultrawides.

Mini-mega not mini me :D

I read through the whole lot of it last night and the amount of options is pretty staggering. I hate choosing monitor's there is just way too much choice and opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I read through the whole lot of it last night and the amount of options is pretty staggering. I hate choosing monitor's there is just way too much choice and opinions.

Save money until CES in mid-January.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Hardware unboxed back up their opinions with benchmark data though. It's not all subjective. You can measure the quality of a monitor.

Headphones, dacs and amps is where the real head wreck is.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Hardware unboxed back up their opinions with benchmark data though. It's not all subjective. You can measure the quality of a monitor.

Headphones, dacs and amps is where the real head wreck is.

I have watched about 5 of their videos today and I'm still none the wiser. It also doesn't help that some of the models are either sold out or not available here.

DACs and amps wouldn't be my my thing but I totally understand headphones. Almost impossible to pick when you don't know whether they will be comfortable on your head and for your usage.

Advertisement