Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Show - Country Special for 2020

Comments

Thanks for the warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Someone defrost Philomena Begley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'll be sure to watch with the volume down when Cliona Hagan is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

IF it was a Dolly-only special I could watch it ok, but if they wheel out the so-called Irish country 'stars', I'm out.

What those people sell isn't country music, but some parochial b@stard version of it you only hear here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

NIMAN wrote: »
    IF it was a Dolly-only special I could watch it ok, but if they wheel out the so-called Irish country 'stars', I'm out.

What those people sell isn't country music, but some parochial b@stard version of it you only hear here.
    It's the bloody nordies! (I can say that because I am one)

Real country music can be an utter joy.
    Irish country music is a world away...I would barely classify it as music.

Queue Philomena Begley murdering Jolene...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Nathan Carter is neither Irish, or Country music.

Nathan Carter is neither Irish, or Country music.

His name and most other "Irish Country Music" immediately just conjures up a mental image of entranced yocals clapping in a bingo hall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I better get the allignment looked at on my dancing shoes...
    82384d93407023404e6dc1ae65595053.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

Will Dolly Parton be singing and/or talking about vaccines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493b23m6e4bhgmjvqzzeulj3lpme9fvo2hdeqridjhad&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

brian_t wrote: »
    Will Dolly Parton be singing and/or talking about vaccines.

No but he will ask her about the bullying she got over the "Coat of many colours that my mother made for me".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Chaos ahoy on Friday night when people get confused between the three active LLS threads and say "I thought Dolly Parton was meant to be on tonight?"

Skid X wrote: »
    Chaos ahoy on Friday night when people get confused between the three active LLS threads and say "I thought Dolly Parton was meant to be on tonight?"

There's a bit of the show for Sharon Shannon tomorrow night. Could be good for a few tunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Card-DisseroBrands-21.jpg?itok=cIxtKx8v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

hay4otrdxxn31.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭George White

Notice that CMAT's not on it, who's actually far more country and a far better vocalist than any of the lot, but she's not part of the Castleblayney/TG4/"clapping grannies" scene

Notice that CMAT's not on it, who's actually far more country and a far better vocalist than any of the lot, but she's not part of the Castleblayney/TG4/"clapping grannies" scene

John Creedon played two in a row from her the other night. She's very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

And not a “Gargle” in sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I just watched a clip from last year's show where they did the walk of life cover, oh my god what an abomination. The funniest thing is that it has 1,8 million views, you'd fear for the country with those kind of numbers. Also, why don't they just listen to the original of that song?

i have to say that RTE showing these creatively lacking individuals and giving them so many appearances takes away an opportunity that could be given to someone with actual talent.

Finally I don't think that this music will die out when the older generation passes on, the mutants love it around the border counties and the midlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Sorry, but who or what is CMAT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

oh puke, this **** show again.... queue Una Healy along with uncle Declan, Phil Begley serenading ould Tubs, and a selection of various has beens, and never shudda beens......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

ollaetta wrote: »
    Sorry, but who or what is CMAT?

Ciara Mary-Alice Thompson - quite an accomplished artiste.
    screamer wrote: »
    oh puke, this **** show again.... queue Una Healy along with uncle Declan, Phil Begley serenading ould Tubs, and a selection of various has beens, and never shudda beens......

Can't beat getting the retaliation in first. 24 hours to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What is it with the Late Late shows obsession with country music, does it really have a following, I just don't get it, but then again, never got Turdbidy"s popularity either.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

From Broadsheet
    Yee.

Haw.

On The Late Late Show Country Music Christmas Special…

…Jennifer O’Brien writes:

The Late Late Show Country Music Christmas Special features none other than the First Lady of Country Music, Dolly Parton, as well as the biggest stars of the Irish country music scene.

…In a revealing interview with Ryan, Dolly, the most decorated female country performer of all time, will be speaking about the profound influence of her parents on her music, and the highs and lows of her illustrious career. Dolly will also discuss writing classics including I Will Always Love You, and her enduring friendship with Irish country star Margo.

Margo herself will be in studio, as will brother Daniel O’Donnell, for a chat with Ryan and some special musical performances sure to have viewers at home up on their feet.

For one night only, singers Una Healy, Cliona Hagan & Claudia Buckley will come together with a special tribute performance of a number of Dolly Parton’s greatest hits. Nathan Carter and The Three Amigos will also be among the performers on the evening.

The Queen of Irish Country Music, Philomena Begley will be speaking to Ryan during the evening, and there will also be music from Trudi Lalor, Barry Kirwan, and Mike Denver.

The Late Late Show Country Music Christmas Special tomorrow on RTÉ One, 9.35pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Dempo1 wrote: »
    What is it with the Late Late shows obsession with country music, does it really have a following, I just don't get it, but then again, never got Turdbidy"s popularity either.

Oh it does have a BIG following here. Mostly North of a line across the country above Dublin/Galway/Midlands, but Midlands is included.

Rest of the country seems to be Trad.

I could be wrong, and I am sure I will be told so soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Dempo1 wrote: »

very big following but thats no reason for The Late Late to showcase it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mad_maxx wrote: »

It's what RTE thinks the country wants.

When's the last time any other music genre got a "showcase?"
    Maybe a few showband has beens which is the same limited musical genepool as Cuntry n Irish anyway.

Plus, it's the same ten artists every year.
    AS I've said before, it's the Castleblayney Mafia.

CMAT is fuming on twitter that she's not on it.
    And it's clear why.
    SHe's not part of the "Irish country scene". She's a country performer, but she's down in Dublin, and part of the Dublin pop scene, rather than the Castleblayney mob. SHe's not in with Tony Loughman's empire or John Farry or any stetsonned promoter with a dodgy accent.
    If she was part of that scene, she'd probably have to sell out.
    I remember my mam was a big fan of Carter at the start, but when it became clear that he wasn't going to grow as an artist, and he would be singing the same ****e to a bunch of clapping nanas, she went off him.

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Maybe a few showband has beens which is the same limited musical genepool as Cuntry n Irish anyway.

I'd say a large part of the country, by no means the majority, will love it. A lot of the rest will watch and be entertained because it is the LLS.

Did you see the Sharon Shannon special last week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

elperello wrote: »
    I'd say a large part of the country, by no means the majority, will love it. A lot of the rest will watch and be entertained because it is the LLS.

Did you see the Sharon Shannon special last week?

Oof ok trad. Safe space for RTE though.
    Not like she hasn't had heaps of coverage for donkeys years.

His audience is dying, so they need to entertain them in their dying days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

“It’s not just a country music special tonight, it’s a Dolly Parton special”
    You had lost me at country music, Ryan
    Correction: You lost me many years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

yee ha!

yee ha!

That's the spirit :)

As soon as the music starts your feet will be tapping and a good time will be had by all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Oh it does have a BIG following here. Mostly North of a line across the country above Dublin/Galway/Midlands, but Midlands is included.

Rest of the country seems to be Trad.

I could be wrong, and I am sure I will be told so soon enough.

I'm living in the Midlands, thank god I've managed to avoid it for 20 years :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

My whole family are heavily into country music and trad. Grandad, uncles etc all played instruments and have sessions in the house. Have a cousin that records albums and what not and that my friends, is exactly why I'm into heavy metal and hard rock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It's a good question about the other genres. Why is there no classical showcase? Or rock music? Or anything else apart from occassional Eurovision nonsense?

I only ask because I know people - many, many people - who like other types of music. Not one single person who likes weird boy & girl band rejects-pretending-they-care-about-country-music music.

Ain't got no beef with Dolly, mind you.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Eurovision nonsense

There is no need for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

elperello wrote: »
    Ciara Mary-Alice Thompson - quite an accomplished artiste.

Can't beat getting the retaliation in first. 24 hours to go.

it doesn't matter, i could have posted it 5 years ago, and it'd hold true the same old sh:te year after year, hell i didn't even read who would be on it, but i already knew such is the tried and tired format of it. Utter scutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Bunch o cowboys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

PsychoPete wrote: »
    There is no need for that

I'll never apologise.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Country music only works when it has thrash metal guitar riffs.

We all have to be very good tonight or there will be a thread about us on Help Desk.

We all have to be very good tonight or there will be a thread about us on Help Desk.

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493be5thus671f0mfmmcscxa9j17kutet55zfs59whge&rid=giphy.gif

I am a LAYDEEEEEE!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Really looking forward to the craic this evening

Any Chris Stapleton / Eric Church fans on here? You know actual Country Artists

screamer wrote: »
    it doesn't matter, i could have posted it 5 years ago, and it'd hold true the same old sh:te year after year, hell i didn't even read who would be on it, but i already knew such is the tried and tired format of it. Utter scutter.

You could nearly craft that into the makings of a country song.

Let it out you'll feel better in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Coneygree wrote: »
    I swear Daniel O Donnell is making monthly appearances at this rate.

Fortnightly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Listen, if Tubridy can pretend to like this sh1te, tonight will be a breeze. And he won't even have to worry about possibly mispronouncing the artist's name wrong.

It'll be advertising Dolly all night, telling us she's coming up and then we'll get a 10 minute interview at the end of the night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement