Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do the Irish not use food dehydrators?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Well the machine turned up on the earlier date, was unboxed, put into place and promptly ignored since! But (like the worst Amazon review) - despite not having put it into service yet, I'm very happy with it! :pac: Especially as it fits perfectly in the most convenient available counter-space!

dehydrator-fits-perfectly.jpg

The only reason I haven't even done a trial session with it yet is because I'm up to my neck in making Christmas gifts and decorations, and trying to finish my new wine-rack, and changing the CV boots on my camper, and preparing food to eat now rather than next year ... ! :rolleyes: But I am starting to think seriously about what veg I can grow next year that will be suitable for dehydration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Well the machine turned up on the earlier date, was unboxed, put into place and promptly ignored since! But (like the worst Amazon review) - despite not having put it into service yet, I'm very happy with it! :pac: Especially as it fits perfectly in the most convenient available counter-space!

dehydrator-fits-perfectly.jpg

The only reason I haven't even done a trial session with it yet is because I'm up to my neck in making Christmas gifts and decorations, and trying to finish my new wine-rack, and changing the CV boots on my camper, and preparing food to eat now rather than next year ... ! :rolleyes: But I am starting to think seriously about what veg I can grow next year that will be suitable for dehydration.

Join a few groups on FB. You will find uses for your pea pods and carrot tops you never thought possible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how many walnuts can one eat ? Last year we collected about 500 kg of walnuts
    that's some haul! is that before they're shelled, or after? must be some job shelling them.

Join a few groups on FB.

:confused: FB?

That's some kind of old people's conspiracy network, isn't it? :D

:confused: FB?

That's some kind of old people's conspiracy network, isn't it? :D

You're thinking of boards. This is more American survivalist awaiting the end of civilisation with a democratic president:)

Who would have thought to dehydrate pea pods after removing the peas and using them in stews. A secret plot to bypass a kids inherent hatred to greens on the dinner plate :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

They wouldn't ship here. De had free shipping with DHL and a tenner voucher off.
    Use Addresspal or Parcel motel. Anyhow after Dec31 it will probably make more sense to buy from .de etc., rather than .co.uk.

Use Addresspal or Parcel motel. Anyhow after Dec31 it will probably make more sense to buy from .de etc., rather than .co.uk.

It was free courier service buying on. De

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

that's some haul! is that before they're shelled, or after? must be some job shelling them.

Before ! Thank goodness. :D
    We leave them to dry out over winter and bag them in nets of 2.5 kg, ready to sell over the summer season.
    But, we also shell some, for ourselves obviously. ;)

It was free courier service buying on. De
    I'm not commenting on the .de purchase, just suggesting a way to get stuff from UK websites who do not ship to Ireland, or to take advantage of offers of free postage within the UK. You can reduce the cost of postage down to the Addresspal and Parcel Motel fee of €3.95

just suggesting a way to get stuff from UK websites who do not ship to Ireland, or to take advantage of offers of free postage within the UK.

I think most of us on boards.ie know about that option ;) ... and also the fact that there's a very real risk that it'll disappear/become uneconomic from 1st Jan due to customs charges and delays. Amazon.de is fast becoming the default post-Brexit supplier to the Irish market.

• Advertisement

I'm not commenting on the .de purchase, just suggesting a way to get stuff from UK websites who do not ship to Ireland, or to take advantage of offers of free postage within the UK. You can reduce the cost of postage down to the Addresspal and Parcel Motel fee of €3.95

Unfortunately anything bought in the UK will be hit by customs. Deal or no deal.

I think most of us on boards.ie know about that option ;) ... and also the fact that there's a very real risk that it'll disappear/become uneconomic from 1st Jan due to customs charges and delays. Amazon.de is fast becoming the default post-Brexit supplier to the Irish market.
    I just got the impression that the OP did not know how to get around the problem of UK sites not mailing to Ireland apart from ordering from Germany.

When I was looking for boat parts not available in These Islands I found sources in Denmark, France, Belgium and Italy, but Germany did not seem to have much going for it, but they do seem to be better at offering English language options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Hi all,

Not sure is this the definitive dehydrator thread as the search functionality is shocking on mobile. Google led me here.

Looking to get a dehydrator for garden produce and wild stuff I forage.

Any one got recommendations for something? Would spend about the €250 mark but no idea is that way too much or way to little!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Actually, quick question. Where does the moisture go? It's it trapped in a condensation vessel or does it just vent into the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Bought one a few years ago to dry chillies to make chilli oil as I had a bumper crop. Cheap plastic yolk of amazon with about 6 shelves. Since then I've started doing lots of fruit. Toddler loves it and its a great snack so I do a huge batch every few months. It will be on for 2 or 3 days solid. Apple, pineapple, kiwi, mango, banana, pear, strawberry being the favourites. Really high water content ones like melon and orange not so much and didn't try a second time.

I do plan on trying jerky when I get a chance as I am partial to it to the wife's disgust.

Advertisement