Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rx 570 vs GTX 1650

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The price of everything is mad at the moment, I'd wait until after Xmas if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

The 570 is miles faster. The GTX1650 is a different class of card, it's the best card that doesn't need a 6pin connector so works with almost any old PC. But speed wise the 570 is yards ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd go with 8GB if it were me. It might be a bit quicker than using system ram on an older machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Plenty of RX 580 8Gb on Adverts.ie for that money.

Also GTX 970 for€120 if you can live with lower settings.

Might be lucky and find a working GTX 980 Ti/1070, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm also finding out that prices have gone crazy at the moment. I'm going to wait a while. My little GT 710 2GB card will do me until then.

• Advertisement

Same here. Rocking a couple of 1050ti here in some old machines.

Was going to build a new budget gaming rig but none of the parts have been in stock or reasonable for months. So it's been a great excuse not to do it.

Thinking a gaming laptop would just be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Thanks all. Some great info there.
    I'm not interested in 2nd hand as I was burned on Adverts before unfortunately.
    Looking at it as a possible xmas present so waiting probably not an option either. Going into an i7 7490 with 8gb ram. Worth throwing an extra 8gb of ram on top? Only looking to run games at 1080 but would the 570 handle newer titles?
    Thanks as always everyone

Not strictly what you asked. But this video goes into some detail at the end of the effect of vram on newer titles on older machines.

https://youtu.be/NT9Uj0sgLR4

I think you'd be best looking at benchmarks of the exact game on hardware similar to what you're thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm currently running a RX 570 8gb and it can handle all the current gen titles in high detail at 1920x1200 at a comfortable 60fps

Here's a side-by-side of both GPUs in some games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a2FckZsCmQ&ab_channel=UserBenchmark

• Advertisement

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

MRTULES wrote: »

Has anyone purchased from mindfactory? Do they ship to Ireland and are they fast?

Has anyone purchased from mindfactory? Do they ship to Ireland and are they fast?

Sorry, I haven't but I think plenty on here have.

I'm think I'm going to get a 2nd hand 1660 3gb for €150. Only because it comes with a 2 year warranty. How would this stack up with my previous suggestions?

I think you mean 1060 3Gb.

It's not a good buy; an RX 570 4Gb is better; 8Gb better still.

I assume you're looking to buy from CEX? Because I didn't see any stock on their site.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I think you mean 1060 3Gb.

It's not a good buy; an RX 570 4Gb is better; 8Gb better still.

I assume you're looking to buy from CEX? Because I didn't see any stock on their site.

Thank you.
    Yes you are right and it was from CEX, I will just go for the 570 8gb from Amazon. Really appreciate all the help.

sorry for hijacking this thread but maybe some of your experts here can help me.

I have an aging GTX 960 on a core i3-6100.

I see a XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS on amazon for STG 184 and am tempted.

Question 1 - will it work on my system?, and
    Question 2 - would it give a big boost (or would i be throwing good money after bad?

or indeed there is also a RX 570 for 20 quids cheaper - that might be good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have ordered from them but they don't deliver outside of Germany now so you would have to use something like mailboxde in order to get it here so couldn't say about delivery times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Around ~€150-160 the RX570 doesn't have a lot of competition unfortunately if you're buying new. Some 1660 variants are faster but will be at least 50-70 quid more expensive, with less ram. An rx580 at ~185 would be a better buy than a 1660 super. Any upgrade over those cards is easily into €300 territory, assuming you can find any card in stock at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

You seem to be ranking them simply by memory? A 4GB 1650 Super usually beats an 8GB 570/580 though they aren't too far apart, while a 6GB 1660 (Super or not) virtually always leaves them well behind (I'd say always but I'm sure there's something out there favouring AMD enough for it to get a win).

You'd have to step up to a 1660ti or 1660Super to beat an rx570/580 by any meaningful margin regularly, and to do that you'd be paying +60 quid for a super and +100 for a Ti. At this price range, that's a massive premium. And as always, it depends which games you play - some games you might be missing 20/30fps between a 1660 and a 570, other games it might only be 5fps. 4GB shouldn't be on the table for anyone, and there's basically no price difference between a 4gb 570/1650 and 8gb 570 anyway. The 6gb vs. 8gb gap is probably less noticeable.

Basically your hierarchy is
    ~ €140|1650| Don't bother, €10 extra buys you a much better card
    ~ 150/160| rx570 8GB / 1650 Super| Actual midrange card value but 8gb 570 is a better option here as the super only comes in a 4GB card.
    ~ 180| rx580 | Reasonable step up at a reasonable premium
    ~ 220-240| 1660/ 1660 Super|Super is a step up, 1660 is about the same
    ~ 275| 1660Ti|Massive price jump, not really in the same PC budget as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

I got an MSI Armor 570 8gb for £137 from Scan in about May/June 2018 when it was clear the mining boom was over. Absolutely stunned that they're selling for more right now.

I'm going to try and grab a new GPU as soon as can in case that whirlwind of sh*te comes back again tbh. Not going through that again :(

EDIT: Just to say as soon as I get a new GPU I'll be selling my 1070. A lovely boxed RGB Evga SC with some warranty still left. I was calculating I'd get 175e for it, and would be happy with that tbh. Go second hand. The things are barely used half the time, just sitting in a powered-off PC looking nice.

Basically your hierarchy is
    ~ €140|1650| Don't bother, €10 extra buys you a much better card
    ~ 150/160| rx570 8GB / 1650 Super| Actual midrange card value but 8gb 570 is a better option here as the super only comes in a 4GB card.
    ~ 180| rx580 | Reasonable step up at a reasonable premium
    ~ 220-240| 1660/ 1660 Super|Super is a step up, 1660 is about the same
    ~ 275| 1660Ti|Massive price jump, not really in the same PC budget as far as I'm concerned.

Good chart, only addendums I would make:

RX 590: Don't buy this card - it's an overclocked RX 580 with massive power draw.
    1660 Ti: Don't buy, it was made redundant by 1660 Super
    €275: Save up another week & buy RX 5600 XT

I'd agree. If you look at the steam hardware survey the vast majority of sales are in the 1660 price range, which makes it even more confusing that both companies have effectively abandoned this market to their 2/3 year old cards and don't seem interested in changing it. I don't know whether that's because the newer architectures are so power hungry/complicated that it's too hard to do, or because of some other factor. But between pricing, supply issues, and no apparent desire from either company to fill the gap, the 570/580 has the under €200 market to itself, and the 1660 super has the 200-250 market to itself. 1440p gaming is stuck with cards costing 300/400+, assuming there are any in stock at all.

Great info here guys, thanks!

I think I'll try pick up a 570 or 580 so depending on what's available.

Just in terms of expectations, is the 570 a sufficient jump up from the GTX 960? (With just 2Gb)?

....the 570/580 has the under €200 market to itself, and the 1660 super has the 200-250 market to itself. 1440p gaming is stuck with cards costing 300/400+, assuming there are any in stock at all.

I'll add that the only reason to buy a 1650 instead of a 570 is if you don't have enough power in the PSU etc. As the 1650 needs very little power no 6 or 8 pin required. So works with OEM computers with proprietary PSU that you can't upgrade. They are very overpriced though.

Great info here guys, thanks!

I think I'll try pick up a 570 or 580 so depending on what's available.

Just in terms of expectations, is the 570 a sufficient jump up from the GTX 960? (With just 2Gb)?

About a 60-70% increase (barring CPU bottlenecks), possibly more factoring in that the extra VRAM means you can run high/ultra textures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

An i3-6100 with an RX570 is gonna be a fairly wretched experience in the bigger new games, tons of stutter and low frames in general.

EG something like Call of Duty Warzone would be almost unplayable.

Homelander wrote: »
    An i3-6100 with an RX570 is gonna be a fairly wretched experience in the bigger new games, tons of stutter and low frames in general.

EG something like Call of Duty Warzone would be almost unplayable.

Went with a 580. Next upgrade will likely be CPU!

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Drewgerger

Don't upgrade now as the new faster cards are cheaper than the slower cards. You might have to wait until march

At $399, the RTX 3060 Ti provides faster performance than the RTX 2080 Super or the RTX 2080 graphics cards, each of which started at $699 in 2019 and 2018 respectively.

The 3060 ti is 163% faster than 1650

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Mucashinto wrote: »
    I got an MSI Armor 570 8gb for £137 from Scan in about May/June 2018 when it was clear the mining boom was over. Absolutely stunned that they're selling for more right now.

yeah - I had to check there - I got an 8gb RX 570 for £120 in Apr/May from CCL Computers (ok it was XFX Brand, but still..)

That doesn't help op (sorry) - but the prices now are pretty steep!

Advertisement