Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs that you're getting old

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Even if I live to be 100, I will never take an interest in mowing. It is a pain in the hoop :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

You see people that would be considered 'old' and they don't look that old to you. Then you see young people and they look really young. Then you try to work out where you fit into it all in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

When your co-workers weren't born when you did the leaving cert!

Oh god. There was a postgrad intern from my old university working with us a couple of years ago. I told her I'd gone there too. 'What year did you graduate?', she asked. I replied '1998' to which she replied, 'I was born that year'.
    It didn't matter in the end, we both skulled pints like undergrads at a work do that night. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I recently purchased a lumbar support cushion...

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

For me it was when alot of the Premier league footballers i remember making their debuts started to retire in the last few years.. it strangely made me feel old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AlejGuzman68

When you see recent photos of your favorite rock stars/movie stars and see how old they become.And then get hit with the wtf moment,lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭questionmark?

When you find yourself getting excited by the thoughts of the first grass cutting of the season.

You haven't got the first cut in yet?!?! My God, your not living. Two cuts in so far myself and also put out the hanging baskets.

I miss being young!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Mine was a few months ago when talking to a lad at work who is a man united fan and I asked him where he watched champions league final in 1999 and he kindly reminded me he wasn't even born ..

I felt a little sick reading that!

You punched him right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

When your favourite pop stars are from the 80s, or 90s,
    You remember when top of the pops was on tv
    When MTV just showed music videos not just reality TV shows
    You remember when games were just released on catridge
    You could rent games from xtravision
    You remember black and white tvs
    You used to rent out films on VHS tape
    You remember pirate radio radio Dublin etc
    before 2fm was on the air

• Advertisement

Don't think that I've any signs of getting older, but some fecker keeps roaring when I have to bend over to pick something up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,704 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Seems to be amnesia. Some recent posts were same posts by same users they did 20 pages ago in this thread. Exactly like aul fellas telling the same stories and jokes over and over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I just hurt my back while coughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

think i have to surrender to Father Time,

yesterday i did a few jobs in the garden and after half an hour i was spent:o physically shattered - never felt that way before it was a wake up call of sorts

and recently i'm beginning to feel mentally old as well - slow response to questions, not sharp, lazy attitudes creeping in - couldn't be arsed to do things

or maybe it's the lockdown

I recently purchased a lumbar support cushion...

I selected the model of my new car based on the better lumbar support...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

When you say something to your teenager and they cringe and you realise you cringed at those very same things your own mom said.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Getting angry when the kids on my street run over my front garden

Serving Mr Wilson vibes ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You haven't got the first cut in yet?!?! My God, your not living. Two cuts in so far myself and also put out the hanging baskets.

I miss being young!!!!

I saving the second cut for a few more weeks so i can go over it once and then lower the mower and give it another pass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Anyone remember the episode of Futurama 'Roswell That Ends Well" ?

Futurama-S04E01-c608e88489affc8e869cb70089823e73-thumb.jpg

choke-on-that-causality-why-roswell-that-ends-well-is-the-best-episode-of-futurama-2-1556668520-XeYm-column-width-inline.jpg

The gang go back to 1947 Roswell by mistake and it leads to such amazing bits as Fry being his own grandpa and the ever amazing line from The Porfessor "ohhh, I am getting a lesson in time travel from Mr i am my own grandpa!"

Great funny episode wasnt it? :pac:
    .... yeah it first aired in December 2001. It's 20 years old :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

uohAXjHV.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

uohAXjHV.jpg
    Yup. That is sheer beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

When you find your first grey eyebrow hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭appledrop

When your at the coast where there is a sea breeze and your wrapped up in sensible clothes and your looking at younger people in tshirts and shorts thinking 'are they not cold'.

In fairness to me it was only 14 degrees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

When your balls are below your knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

When it takes an hour to function normal after waking up.

Go on the beer for the day on Friday and your not fully recovered till Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You forget your own birthday :o

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Watching top of the pops on bbc tonight from 1982. Realised most people in the bands and the audience are probably pensioners now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Your job needs a laptop with windows 98 on it and the ability to use a serial cable.

you can do that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

jaxxx wrote: »
    When your balls are below your knees.

You mean when you take up yoga?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Liamario

When you're scratching your ear and find an extremely long hair coming out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

If AC/DC were the last band you saw in concert you're definitely getting old!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Liamario wrote: »
    When you're scratching your ear and find an extremely long hair coming out of it.

LoL that was the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Liamario wrote: »

A low point for me was when my barber asked if I'd like the hair on my ears trimmed a couple of years back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

My barber asked if I wanted my eyebrows trimmed!

And ears

You forget your own birthday :o
    Or forget what age you are altogether. I have to do a mental calculation when answering the "age?" question on a form.

I used to think the saying 'age is just a number' was just a kind thing to say to an older person, but it really is pretty abstract now.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

You find yourself toe tapping to Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash and the like...something unthinkable in your youth (well my youth anyway)

Mothers are too old, daughters are too young! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭FrankN1

The music is worse now than it was in your day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭KaneToad

frosty123 wrote: »
    You find yourself toe tapping to Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash and the like...something unthinkable in your youth (well my youth anyway)

I've been toe tapping to them since I was 13 - which wasn't that long ago either!

My parents were big fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Sunday rolls around and you are super happy about your trip to the garden centre, where you will spend a few hours, and buy stuff - like pots.thrilled with yourself.

Though tbf that might just be pandemic rather than age...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Ive started listening to Sunday Miscellany on RTE radio 1.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

When you can remember the days when you could get 2 sandwiches out of a packet of tayto.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You can remember when people used drown puppies and kittens :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I remember pulling a bag of puppy bones out of a local stream when I was about 10, I'll never forget it.

Anyway my nose hairs have been getting a little out of control since going past 40 so I invested in a nose hair trimmer. Also when I looked in the mirror recently after coming out of the shower my reflection reminded me of Bang Bang Bart in The Simpsons :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

neris wrote: »
    when the 9 oclock news is one of the mainstays of watching tv in the evening

No, no. Never!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

When you no longer care about saying NO to people. YOU matter!

Also stopping worrying about never being able to remember what you came into a room for. You will pass that way again.

PS I am after all not GETTING old. I AM old. The getting has all been got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Ordered my reading glasses today ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Remember it well. I was 4 years old.<<snip>> It was the way it was in those days.

Mod: Absolutely no need to be so graphic about animal cruelty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Very few real teeth left, balding with grey beard, stuped spine, arthritic legs, leaky sphincter, yellow toenails, failing eyesight, shrunken willy, shortness of breath, nasal hair and forgetfulness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,521 ✭✭✭✭Victor

When you think to yourself:

"Is that Garda old enough to work after 10pm at night? Child labour laws and all that."

"Is that driver old enough to legally drive a bus?" (I think you have to b 21).

"That nurse looks so young she looks like she should be wearing a school uniform - a primary school uniform."

• Advertisement
Advertisement