Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs that you're getting old

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Archeron wrote: »
    I yelled angrily at clouds when I paid 1.50 for a bag of tayto crisps in a petrol station.
    Back in my day 1.50 was a giant almond mars bar and a supercan of cherry coke money.

I always buy the multi packs. 4 or 5 for about 12. No way would I buy a single pack of crisps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I forgot my ATM pin. Twice in the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Was trying to kneel down today and it dawned on me that I can no longer put my arse down onto my heels. My quad muscles seem to be about 2 inches long these days and there was absolutely no way they were letting me go down fully like I used to. Instead I now have remain upright as if I was praying in mass. Whats that all about? Why the hell can't i kneel anymore?!?

And I know its probably been done to death already but the amount of hair now growing out of my ears is directly proportional to the amount that no longer grows on the top of my head. My receding hair line is racing back to meet the bald patch on my crown like some sort of out of control wild fire.

I think I'm getting to the point where the mid life crisis is going to kick in and I'll start browsing websites that sell dodgy wigs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I looked in the mirror earlier and thought... “ I’ve been told the odd gray flick was distinguished, it probably was, the person who told me that now, might be telling me to get just for men “

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Was trying to kneel down today and it dawned on me that I can no longer put my arse down onto my heels. My quad muscles seem to be about 2 inches long these days and there was absolutely no way they were letting me go down fully like I used to. Instead I now have remain upright as if I was praying in mass. Whats that all about? Why the hell can't i kneel anymore?!?

And I know its probably been done to death already but the amount of hair now growing out of my ears is directly proportional to the amount that no longer grows on the top of my head. My receding hair line is racing back to meet the bald patch on my crown like some sort of out of control wild fire.

I think I'm getting to the point where the mid life crisis is going to kick in and I'll start browsing websites that sell dodgy wigs....

Whatever you do, please draw the line at this.

• Advertisement

You should start stretching them. Tight quads pull at your knee caps or some part of them and make them more prone to injury. That's what my physio said anyway when I hurt my knee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

You should start stretching them. Tight quads pull at your knee caps or some part of them and make them more prone to injury. That's what my physio said anyway when I hurt my knee.

It's good advice.
    Some stretch & mobility or simple yoga stuff will sort that out in a few weeks. Child poses and pigeon poses and the likes.

True about the quads too, could easily pop your kneecap if they get out of sync with each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

razorblunt wrote: »
    True about the quads too, could easily pop your kneecap if they get out of sync with each other.

Popped knee caps - Christ, there’s motivation if ever it was needed. Ya I was actually looking at yoga vids on YouTube to ease myself into it. Have to do something before I damage myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Popped knee caps - Christ, there’s motivation if ever it was needed. Ya I was actually looking at yoga vids on YouTube to ease myself into it. Have to do something before I damage myself

Check out Yoga with Adriene on YT. She had 30 days a few years back called "HOME" it was a great introduction.

Her series this year was harder (I felt) but I ended up doing my back anyway so I had to bin it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I dropped a jar of mayonaise on the kitchen floor yesterday.
    Knelt down to clean it up.
    Felt a bit of crunching.
    Then I needed another cloth. I looked up at the counter where the other cloth was, and it seemed like such an effort to stand up, get the cloth and kneel back down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Oh yeah , the knees -
    Well 1 knee in particular , sitting into the car , going down the stairs , ect ect

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Markcheese wrote: »
    Oh yeah , the knees -
    Well 1 knee in particular , sitting into the car , going down the stairs , ect ect

Wouldnt mind except I took up cycling a few years ago at the age of 42 so as not to be doing high impact excercise on the knees.
    Both knees were perfect and never had a bit of trouble with them before taking up cycling.
    I went to a consultant when it started getting bad first.
    First question he asked me was - have you taken up cycling in the last 10 years. I asked him how he knew and he said - Man in his 40s comes in with knee issues = cycling 80% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Hairs growing out of the your ears !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Need both hips replaced :eek: I'm 58.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The recession!
    No not that one, receding hairline. When the hell did that happen. Good lord!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭WildWater

Tip that might help for the next time this happens; think of the patten that you make when entering your pin rather than the actual number. It’s less stressful on the brain than trying to recall a set of numbers.

I remember years ago watching a TV programme with my dad (RIP). The guy on TV was talking about skin elasticity and how it becomes inelastic with age. He invited the viewers to pinch up the sink on the back our your hand and watch how quickly it resets. Both my self and my dad did it. I was late teens at the time and mine shot back instantly. I looked at my dad and said ‘what about yours’. 'It wouldn’t get a speeding ticket’ says he. Well, I just pinched my skin again and it wouldn’t get a speeding ticket either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

When picking up a watering can leaves you immobile and in pain for days.

What was I thinking,watering the garden at 51?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

WildWater wrote: »
    Tip that might help for the next time this happens; think of the patten that you make when entering your pin rather than the actual number. It’s less stressful on the brain than trying to recall a set of numbers.

I remember years ago watching a TV programme with my dad (RIP). The guy on TV was talking about skin elasticity and how it becomes inelastic with age. He invited the viewers to pinch up the sink on the back our your hand and watch how quickly it resets. Both my self and my dad did it. I was late teens at the time and mine shot back instantly. I looked at my dad and said ‘what about yours’. 'It wouldn’t get a speeding ticket’ says he. Well, I just pinched my skin again and it wouldn’t get a speeding ticket either.

I must still be a teenager. Happy Days.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

having a wash done the night before so it can go straight out on the line when there's 'good drying weather' the next day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

I must still be a teenager. Happy Days.

Me too. That being said my ancestors never had wrinkles, just osteoarthritis and the odd unexplained heart attack lol, but they all looked great!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

No mid week coitus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

No mid week coitus.

What about us single people that are just "No coitus!"

To thine own self be true

That word makes it sound almost as attractive as getting a migraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Shop assistants mostly tend to address me as "Sir" these days. I'm fifty six.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

chicorytip wrote: »
    Shop assistants mostly tend to address me as "Sir" these days. I'm fifty six.

I get referred to as a "woman" now not a "girl".

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I do love the way at the moment with masks the shop assistants do have to linger for a moment when looking at you to determine age for selling alcohol. I’m like the longer they stare the younger I feel...Pre masks they would barely have to glance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Of the 10 past pupils on staff, I taught 9. Worse again , teaching some of their kids in senior classes too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I get referred to as a "woman" now not a "girl".

When we were in our 20s/30s hospitality staff called us “ ladies.” Since we got into our 50s, we became “ girls!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Me too. That being said my ancestors never had wrinkles, just osteoarthritis and the odd unexplained heart attack lol, but they all looked great!

oh indeed. Externally i'm fine but inside I'm a wreck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

I did the same yesterday. I'm just so used to tapping the cards now and not using the pin when they said 'Oh that didn't go through will you enter your pin, I panicked and couldn't remember. Nearly got my card blocked.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

To realise that it’s on the guts of 30 years since I finished school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

appledrop wrote: »
    I did the same yesterday. I'm just so used to tapping the cards now and not using the pin when they said 'Oh that didn't go through will you enter your pin, I panicked and couldn't remember. Nearly got my card blocked.

use your car number plate

When ya can get 6+ hours kip, and can produce a relatively decent 'numero deux' :pac: :P ; all other aches/pains/worries/anxieties etc aside, it can be considered a pretty good day, all in all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

When having romantic notions before bedtime means secretly putting on the electric blanket to surprise your partner.

When you realise that ‘The Derry Girls’, set in the early to mid 1990s, is actually looking further back in time than ‘The Wonder Years’ was when it was produced in 1988.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mind blown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ah yer alright sure doesn't Fozzie Bear wear a hat? :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Archeron wrote: »
    I yelled angrily at clouds when I paid 1.50 for a bag of tayto crisps in a petrol station.
    Back in my day 1.50 was a giant almond mars bar and a supercan of cherry coke money.

It is amount of everything sold from years ago that has got less, that annoys me.
    Tayto used to sell full packets of crisps now it is lucky if they are three quarters full.

It was not only me giving out about that there is another thread on boards from 16 years ago.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=173452

Rolo's were the other one that annoyed me. The ads used to get used to say 'don't take my last Rolo'. But stopped that and then they reduced the packs from 11 to 10.

https://www.snackhistory.com/rolo

"In 1980 Rolo began to use the slogan "Do you love anyone enough to give them your last Rolo?"; Although the use of this phrase was ended due to what was viewed as changes in peoples perceptions about relationships. The Rolo brand reduced the number of Rolos from 11 to 10, prompting some individuals online to use jokes referring to the company “taking the last Rolo”, and similar jokes of that variety."

I think it is definitely a sign of getting old when you get annoyed over these type of things. I am on them companies though. They can't cod me. I just eat more..... :o

When we were in our 20s/30s hospitality staff called us “ ladies.” Since we got into our 50s, we became “ girls!”

My version of that was when I was younger when walking Dublin inner City it was common to get a roar such as 'Heor yung filla'. Now I noticed it has gone from that to 'Heor Mister'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

The last few weeks I've started to automatically wake up early before the alarm goes to get up for work and even worse I'm waking up at same time at the weekend!

Very worrying I must be getting old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

When your granddaughter tells you that "you have nice legs , except your knees are old and wrinkly " :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    When having romantic notions before bedtime means secretly putting on the electric blanket to surprise your partner.

Put onto max, she won’t be long togging off into the racing gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Everyday in the morning when you get up and you crawl out of bed
    And you look at the moon where the window is
    And the stars shine, and the stars shine, and the stars shine
    Everyday in the morning when you get up and you crawl out of bed

And way down below in the sun belt
    And the telephones, and the telephone, and the telephones
    And you look out the moon where the window is
    Everyday in the morning when you get up and you crawl out of bed.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

As I got older noise pollution drives me more and more insane. People being loud after 21:00 should be considered public nuisance. Unnecessarily noisy and fast cars driving through residential areas. Grow up you absolute gowls.

Pubs that are situated within residential areas not giving a sh1t about the impact the noise their customers makes has on residents living closeby.

Stuff wouldnt have bother me me as a younger person but as I get older, seeing people having zero consideration for other people really winds me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Deedsie wrote: »
    As I got older noise pollution drives me more and more insane. People being loud after 21:00 should be considered public nuisance. Unnecessarily noisy and fast cars driving through residential areas. Grow up you absolute gowls.

Pubs that are situated within residential areas not giving a sh1t about the impact the noise their customers makes has on residents living closeby.

Stuff wouldnt have bother me me as a younger person but as I get older, seeing people having zero consideration for other people really winds me up.

The life cycle of old age must intertwine with the new. The beauty of change within a new generation of new minds of which will rule this planet soon as it is their time to rule it. Older folk should embrace it, because if you do not, you will be left behind, a hard truth as times are a changing....

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 19 putthekettleon

Buy some tweezers, for men. You'll need to pluck your ears too.

Being awake at 7am on a sunday morning, looking at the clock thinking "only an hour and a half till John Bowman's programme".

Might pluck some ear-hair to pass the time.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    use your car number plate

It is a very good idea but personally I could not tell you my car number plate if you offered me a million bucks. But that has been a lifelong thing, nothing to do with age. Complete car blindness. I am just grateful I remember the colour of it so I can find where the hell is it in the supermarket car park. And yes, it is not rare that I stand (briefly, thank goodness) beside another silver car squeezing my key fob wondering why the hell the car makes no noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭black & white

When researching accommodation for annual fortnight abroad, have a look at the photos to see if there's a comfortable chair in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Gorteen

You're the only person in the household who doesn't mind watching a movie in Black & White... or with sub-titles.... or both!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement