Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs that you're getting old

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

My online dating profile changing from age 49 to age 50. today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

When you finally realize that every generation before you actually had it harder in their day than you do now.
    And listening to all the younger generation thinking they have it harder nowadays, you just nod your head to appease then and says to yourself "They are young, they will learn how wrong they are when their kids are moaning at them".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You can remember those weird chain letters: basically it was- copy this out and send it to 5 other people or DIE! :eek:

WTH was the point of them :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

My online dating profile changing from age 49 to age 50. today!

Happy birthday !!!

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Gorteen wrote: »
    You're the only person in the household who doesn't mind watching a movie in Black & White... or with sub-titles.... or both!!!!

That’s not age. It’s sophistication. You can’t help living in a household of uncultured simpletons.

It’s only age if you were at the cinema when they were originally released.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Being awake at 7am on a sunday morning, looking at the clock thinking "only an hour and a half till John Bowman's programme".

Might pluck some ear-hair to pass the time.

Or realizing that the music played by Ronan Collins from 12-1 on weekdays doesn't sound as bad as it used to.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

When a new pain starts suddenly in a joint you wonder will it just take a month to go away or is it there forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Esho

My version of that was when I was younger when walking Dublin inner City it was common to get a roar such as 'Heor yung filla'. Now I noticed it has gone from that to 'Heor Mister'.

:-)
    Im called Sir in shops now!

I remember my mom was extremely annoyed when she went to hospital and a nice woman who was about 5 years her junior, but looked much older than her, introduced herself as her consultant geriatrician!

She was only in her mid 60s at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Buy some tweezers, for men. You'll need to pluck your ears too.

I had to start plucking in my twenties, I just get it burned out now in the Turkish barbers.

My version of that was when I was younger when walking Dublin inner City it was common to get a roar such as 'Heor yung filla'. Now I noticed it has gone from that to 'Heor Mister'.
    I remember my mom was extremely annoyed when she went to hospital and a nice woman who was about 5 years her junior, but looked much older than her, introduced herself as her geriatrician!

I was in hospital for the first time recently - the interns were as young as guards!

Esho wrote: »
    I was in hospital for the first time recently - the interns were as young as guards!

My grandmother’s DOB was practically a state secret. She’s always just answer “it’s a terrible age for such a young woman!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

All is not lost.

I was asked for ID last weekend...at the age of 42. You wouldn't mind but I was only at the hardware store buying brick acid to clean our back wall. Apparently it is not sold to U18s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I didn't think of myself as old, until I saw the state of the other people in the vaccination queue in the Aviva.

I didn't think of myself as old, until I saw the state of the other people in the vaccination queue in the Aviva.

I’ve a relative in her late 80s who made exactly the same observation. She’s looking great for her age and never really thinks about it, but she was really floored by how other 85+ year olds look.

She’d have still been heading to Tenerife this year if it hasn’t been for COVID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Catching myself walking slowly with my hands clasped behind my back..

My loud car used to be loud and fun, now it's just loud :pac:

I remember my mom was extremely annoyed when she went to hospital and a nice woman who was about 5 years her junior, but looked much older than her, introduced herself as her consultant geriatrician!

She was only in her mid 60s at the time.

My sister was 41 when she got pregnant and was disgusted that she was referred to by the consultant as a geriatric pregnancy

When you overhear the childer arguing about what they are going to get in the will?

When you start using words like childer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Everyone you meet is younger than you.
    This has happened to me 3 times this week. I'm 46 in July. I was convinced 3 colleagues I've been working with the past 2 months were same age if not older than me. I've found out via chatting, one is 8 years younger and the other 2 are 4 years younger. I'm really starting to feel old :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Klopp

I was always a fast runner when I was younger, when I played football I was always quick and now I feel more like a tortoise and it takes me longer to recover. I keep thinking I'll get my pace back, I have been trying the last year and no sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

when knee and hip replacements become a really interesting topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Working in payroll and setting up new employee profiles and all the date of births are in the late 1990's or early 2000 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bumpkins

messrs wrote: »
    Working in payroll and setting up new employee profiles and all the date of births are in the late 1990's or early 2000 :eek:

I can totally relate to this one :D

The moment of realisation that it's not an error on the DOB because someone born in 2003 can be 18, and you're just getting old instead :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bumpkins

Also felt really old when I said that someone's tights were hanging down like Nora Batty's, and then realised that no one in the room would have known who Nora Batty was...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Bumpkins wrote: »
    I can totally relate to this one :D

The moment of realisation that it's not an error on the DOB because someone born in 2003 can be 18, and you're just getting old instead :eek:

Just on that point I was setting up an 18 year old up a couple of weeks ago and when I went to get his bank details where we ask for Sort Code and Account number he gave me his Debit Card number and the 3 digit security code :eek::eek: Surely they know what bank details are:confused::confused:

Also felt really old when I said that someone's tights were hanging down like Nora Batty's, and then realised that no one in the room would have known who Nora Batty was...

Venus in wrinkled stockings! --Compo

:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

How loud did you say it?:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

messrs wrote: »
    Just on that point I was setting up an 18 year old up a couple of weeks ago and when I went to get his bank details where we ask for Sort Code and Account number he gave me his Debit Card number and the 3 digit security code :eek::eek: Surely they know what bank details are:confused::confused:

i still know the sort code and account number for the account i opened when i started college.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You realise that today Enya turns 60.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

My last car had a sports suspension with 18" wheels and low profile tyres.

My current car has a suspension like an ice cream van, 16" wheels and fat tyres to soak up the bumps.....and I am very much ok with that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I've quite enjoyed a half hour nap during the day at lunch time.

Everyone thinks as long as you can find a link on the internet of some random "study" you are right.
    Even if there are lots of other random studies coming to all sorts of other conclusions.
    But its the one you post that is the correct one. The others are wrong.

Oh, and people stalk everything you post in completely unrelated threads :)

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Everyone thinks as long as you can find a link on the internet of some random "study" you are right.
    Even if there are lots of other random studies coming to all sorts of other conclusions.
    But its the one you post that is the correct one. The others are wrong.

pathetic. even more so when you didn't even provide any alternative studies and simply kept repeating the same anecdote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

When it is only used to relieve the spuds and not to relieve the golf balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

When your daughter says she " wants to borrow against the will" and then tries to reassure you with " Ah sure it will only be a short term loan"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

When I think of something to add to this thread and then by the time I get to post, I've forgotten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

All is not lost.

I was asked for ID last weekend...at the age of 42. You wouldn't mind but I was only at the hardware store buying brick acid to clean our back wall. Apparently it is not sold to U18s.

ha, buying brick acid in itself is a sign you are getting old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

when you're looking forward to watching Gardener's World on the telly

... years ago it was Top of the Pops now its Gardener's World

things have gone full circle:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Bring scared of the hangover once pubs reopen and we go for just a few pints....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

When the daughter of a close relative is getting married soon and you realise you haven't seen her since she was a few months old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Went shopping during the week and flew into River Island... strolled back out in less than 10 minutes when I realized I was no longer young enough to shop there - I was around when half the stuff was originally in fashion and where the hell have midriffs gone from all the tops :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Bring scared of the hangover once pubs reopen and we go for just a few pints....

I’m scared for the sheep you may meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Watching a match Just caught myself saying ‘Jayus that referee looks young’

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The realisation that you sat your Leaving Cert 28 years ago next month...

• Advertisement

When I eat, parts of my face nowhere near my jaw move.

When you look at your hair in the mirror and realise that those strands are no longer grey/silver, they're actually white.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The realisation that you sat your Leaving Cert 28 years ago next month...

what is it like to be so young? I can't remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

When your thumbs hurt after using your phone for a while.

When you avoid mirrors and even looking at your reflection in shop windows.

• Advertisement
Advertisement