Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs that you're getting old

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A couple of years back I was browsing in Oxfam and this chap walked in and asked the girl behind the counter would they take a hi-fi. Then he called it a stereo, to help her. Nothing. The silence was deafening, the puzzled look on her face made it clear she was wondering whether they were spare parts for an alien spaceship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

babi-hrse wrote: »
    When your arguing about medication with your spouse

When you only know what day it is, by the tablets left in your preloaded dispenser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

When you think playing golf is plenty exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

When you eat your dinner and need a sleep after it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

After a few beers at home you want a cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Yesterday I noticed myself drying the recycling waste that I had just washed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

One of your children is engaged, or one is married .you recycle all the bottles
    if you buy wine.
    you buy a newspaper every sunday.
    you listen to rte 1 radio
    you watch tv news everyday
    You spend 100s of euros on gym gear or a hitech bike
    your mortgage is 10 years old at least
    you can remember a time when anyone working could afford to buy a house
    you remember a time when emigration was a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Yesterday I noticed myself drying the recycling waste that I had just washed.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

My knees are making weird popping noises. No pain, just weird acoustics.

The falling apart years have begun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

BuboBubo wrote: »
    My knees are making weird popping noises. No pain, just weird acoustics.

The falling apart years have begun.

Had that the other night. Nothing like a bit of crepitus to remind you you're getting on.

That said I climbed 3 peaks of the Galtees this morning with some people who were maybe 25 years older than me, if I am like them when I am older I will be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When you are contemplating as I was this evening doing 30 minutes on my exercise bike after fûcking around on boards... but getting too comfy here and not lamenting the 30 minutes of exercise but lamenting the having to get up to walk to the bike... !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

varifocal contact lenses are great for covering that up ;)

Did they take much getting used to? Any down sides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Gout. How on earth could a young wan like me have gout. That doctor is raving. ��

Beware of the varifocals, I fell down the stairs using them. I went back to bifocals.

Some company's still use telex as its more secure , it works on a standard phone line
    and it can be stored like a receipt
    Hackers can't erase a printed telex message.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Grey hairs starting but I quite like them.

Needing more potent skincare actives to fight the wrinkles.

Still very flexible according to my physio but have a shoulder injury that's taking months to heal, whereas years ago it would be fine by now.:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was watching a very good documentary called "Crime of the century"* and in the back of my head I was thinking the 20th...

*about the US pharmaceutical industry and how it peddled opiates with bought political help that killed hundreds of thousands. Well worth a watch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

when your drug of choice becomes ibuprofen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You know you're old when the woman you're married to has been a granny since 1997.

Or when you have to stop for a pee when driving for any length over 1 hour. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Oh damn! I just remembered it's my eldest's 37th birthday today! :eek:

Better get a card!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

When badly written headlines in the paper pisses you off, e.g. Ruthless Belgium beat Finland to make it three wins from three.
    Andwhen you have to read them a few times before they make sense. Sorry, no examples of those ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

prob said before but having to get up in the middle of the night to use the facilities :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

The involuntary fart whenever one bends down to pick something up. :(

Wibbs wrote: »

I was watching a very good documentary called "Crime of the century" and in the back of my head I was thinking the 20th...

Supertramp's best album, IMHO!

(Must look out for that documentary - the opoids scandal is truly jawdroppingly shocking.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

sporina wrote: »
    prob said before but having to get up in the middle of the night to use the facilities :(

If you're a bloke, you might want to talk to your GP about a PSA or DRE test for prostate cancer, or both maybe. Change in urinary habits would be one of a few possible warning signs. Look up recent video from James Michael Taylor ('Gunter' from Friends) if you want to get scared about prostate cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

You no longer find these videos amusing, but find them sad.

https://twitter.com/dubslife1

If you're a bloke, you might want to talk to your GP about a PSA or DRE test for prostate cancer, or both maybe. Change in urinary habits would be one of a few possible warning signs. Look up recent video from James Michael Taylor ('Gunter' from Friends) if you want to get scared about prostate cancer.

Or it could just be an overactive bladder. Lets not just straight to cancer. But go see a doctor anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I get a blood test done every six months, and the PSA is part of it. A few years ago the doctor told me I was slightly out of the safe range. I always request a copy of my test (just because I like stats :D ) but I compared my previous test to the one I had just received. My result was 2.3 with the healthy range being zero to 1.9, but on the previous test my result was 2.2 with the healthy range being zero to 2.4! Because I was 6 months older, the goalposts had shifted, i.e. the range!! :( *Shakes fist at the passage of time* ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

i'm a lady :pac: but thank you :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'm still getting used to the idea that I'm allowed into the attic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

When you have not just one , but a few different paint stirring sticks .

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    When you have not just one , but a few different paint stirring sticks .

not only that but you have a favourite paint stirring stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

First grey pubes, dye or close crop?

Bobblehats wrote: »
    First grey pubes, dye or close crop?

are corn rows out of the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Natty dreads it is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The involuntary fart whenever one bends down to pick something up. :(

Yes indeed, I tried and failed to jump up on a wall recently, only to make s massive involuntary fart :o

My wife thought it hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

If you are old enough for this to mean anything to you -

Radio Caroline resumed broadcasting from the Radio Ship Ross Revenge this morning. On air today and tomorrow on 1368Khz (219 meters medium wave) from the 20 kilowatt transmitter at Manx Radio on the Isle of man, and around the world on the internet. For smart speakers - ask them to 'play Manx Radio A.M.'

https://www.facebook.com/radiocarolineofficial/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I was listening to some Oasis and Blur recently, reminded me that it is 26 years since the Battle of Britpop :eek:

1969 to 1995 - 26 years
    1995 to 2021 - 26 years

B side from the Battle of Britpop. One of their best but also a reminder of how much time has passed and how my youth has gone the way of Liam's voice :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

When you start eyeing up the Just For Men products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

When you remember all the TV pundits when they were starting out in their chosen sport.
    Or when you're talking to colleagues about past sporting occasions which happened when they weren't even born.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Alpha Romeo

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I was listening to some Oasis and Blur recently, reminded me that it is 26 years since the Battle of Britpop :eek:

1969 to 1995 - 26 years
    1995 to 2021 - 26 years

B side from the Battle of Britpop. One of their best but also a reminder of how much time has passed and how my youth has gone the way of Liam's voice :(

The irony that the first line is, "I'm older than I wish to be" haha. Great tune though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The irony that the first line is, "I'm older than I wish to be" haha. Great tune though :)
    Yeah, loved it and the band at the time - coincided with my own coming of age. 26 years later the lyrics mean even more to me. Where will we all be in another 26 years.

See also Alive, Listen Up, Cloudburst and Fade Away - all B sides!

And this one below, not even a B side.

"Father Time just keep on ticking
    Until I get my sweet release"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Alpha Romeo

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Yeah, loved it and the band at the time - coincided with my own coming of age. 26 years later the lyrics mean even more to me. Where will we all be in another 26 years.

See also Alive, Listen Up, Cloudburst and Fade Away - all B sides!

And this one below, not even a B side.

"Father Time just keep on ticking
    Until I get my sweet release"

The thing I loved about Oasis singles CD's is they always threw 3 more belters on there and none of that remix ****e

You remember listening to radio Luxembourg before bbc radio 1 existed you remember pirate radio , radio Dublin
    You used to record songs off the radio on a radio, cassette stereo. You remember MTV when it just played music videos.
    You remember old pcs with crt monitors and
    pc games were sold in big box's not cd cases
    Some games took 2 or 4 cds to install

You remember when rock bands were in the charts
    Oasis versus blur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

riclad wrote: »
    You remember listening to radio Luxembourg before bbc radio 1 existed you remember pirate radio , radio Dublin
    You used to record songs off the radio on a radio, cassette stereo. You remember MTV when it just played music videos.
    You remember old pcs with crt monitors and
    pc games were sold in big box's not cd cases
    Some games took 2 or 4 cds to install

There's 20 years between the start of BBC 1 and MTV coming to Ireland!

You remember installing Windows 95 from floppy discs.

You remember installing Windows 95 from floppy discs.

I remember when a colour pic of any kind of resolution at all had to be split and put on 2 discs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Your first memory stick was a massive 64Mb, and you were amazed how much it could store.

Still have it, still in use, it was an add-on with a Dell PC.

Used an Atari St 1040 for word processing in the early 90s.

Speedsie wrote: »
    Your first memory stick was a massive 64Mb, and you were amazed how much it could store.

And it cost about €100!

Speedsie wrote: »

Still have it, still in use, it was an add-on with a Dell PC.

Used an Atari St 1040 for word processing in the early 90s.

i recently found the smartmedia card i bought for my first digital camera. all 2MB of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

You remember there were Golden Pages books for the internet

I remember this well in our local library. If you want to look up a website for something you opened the golden pages and it suggested websites for you. You then typed these into your browser and start checking it out

Of course these days the book is out of date the second it is printed but it was quaint and they were trying to do a service :)

Advertisement