Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs that you're getting old

Comments

Yesterday the barber trimmed my eyebrows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

My first computer was a Sinclair Spectrum ZX81, souped up with an extra 16k of RAM via a plug in ram pack inserted at the back. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

When you get excited going to Argos to pick up a Hoover, albeit the first hoover you ever purchased. It’s at this stage at the age of 42 you realise you’d never ride through Paris in a sports car with warm wind through my hair.

https://youtu.be/d0NxhFn0szc

You start to have to try very very hard not to be cynical

You see a potential argument and you avoid it

You start to like things like gardening.

You go to a late bar/night club from your teens/early 20s and get ptsd

griffin100 wrote: »
    My first computer was a Sinclair Spectrum ZX81, souped up with an extra 16k of RAM via a plug in ram pack inserted at the back. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_pack

Posh fecker! You had the RAM pack?! What would anyone need that much computing power for unless they up to no good? :pac:

Olivia2 wrote: »
    You start to like things like gardening.

I've only just began to appreciate flowers coming into bloom....mrs Mc Carthy loves her gardening/ potted flowers....last couple of weeks is 1st time I've really paid attention & enjoyed as buds start blooming/ flowering.
    As someone said at start of thread.....lyricfm is now my 'goto' radio station

• Advertisement

I enjoy this thread far too much for someone in their 40s :pac:

EDIT: had a bit of whiskey last night. Maybe 5 shots worth, heavily mixed w/ ginger ale. First bit of drink in months, but I had a guest, so you know, it's their fault :pac: throwing back the water now in a race against a potential three day hangover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

As someone said at start of thread.....lyricfm is now my 'goto' radio station

Wait till you hit the Radio na Gaeltachta stage! :D

Pfffff, it's no commodore 64 by God

When you heard Bruce Springsteen’s song 57 channels and never thought it would be reality when we had 6 channels.

https://youtu.be/pEussXlmBBM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Tinder becomes a chore, and not an exciting 4-night a week datefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

In my line of work the age profile has always been older than other sectors. I was always quite nifty with working out computer problems, workarounds, setting up printers etc. and was therefore called upon by colleagues to assist before the dreaded call to the helpdesk had to be made.

That has all changed in the last few years and now I'm the one asking the younger staff for help, and the older ones are steadily retiring or have retired already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Not Lyric FM, but BBC radio 4. Just murmuring away in the background, very relaxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Basically change when most things were 'grand as they were' as far I was concerned.

Changing language and phraseology that leaves you baffled:

Phraseology/meaning that seems to be used differently by the majority really irritate me.

Toxic used to be associated with sewage and chemicals. Now it seems to be mainly meaning 'extremely harsh, malicious, or harmful'. I still can't get my head around that no matter how hard I try. It seems really odd to me. But even mainstream Irish media use it like that now! I can immediately tell the age of the person who uses it like that now - younger than me for a start!

Hating any rebranding name changes:

I live in Dublin but now have to get used to new bus numbers. Instead of leaving them as the were it was grand!
    I used to laugh at my father as he always called Connolly Station (Amiens Street Station). It was renamed in 1966!

But now I do exactly the same, there is only 'The Point' for me it was never the O2 Arena or the 3 Arena. The AVIVA is still Landsdowne road as far as I am concerned.

Technology changes - hating them:

I extremely reluctantly got a smartphone because I changed bank to avoid bank charges - needed it for online banking then.. But I don't like it at all, pain in the backside having to recharge it etc. Other phone I had excellent battery life it was the main thing I was worried about functionality and practical use. As a phone!

I still am annoyed about having to change from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on PC's/Laptop's. Windows 7 was grand why change it completely?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Your real problem is Change ! I dislike change more, the older I get !:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

When you understand the Sunscreen Song.

Wait till you hit the Radio na Gaeltachta stage! :D

When you want to listen to nice relaxing music a jig/reel not like that 'racket' on most of them modern music stations. You don't get autotune on RnaG.

That is another sign of knowing your getting old. Realising that Autotune is the norm in the modern charts. And the 'youngsters' not knowing any different.

Apparently Rock 'died' around 2010. And it will likely become a niche genre like Jazz.

I still can't get my head around all the hip hop/rap stuff. I remember when that used to be considered a novelty and a bit of a laugh. Now people in Ireland seem to seriously buy it and listen to it.

Pre-Covid I remember the 'Trendy Barber's' across the road from me was playing non-stop Hip Hop stuff blaring. I was wondering were they actually enjoying it? And wondered would it be OK to ask them to turn it off? I wanted to read the paper in peace! But then I realised the rest of the people must be enjoying it? I use the hair clippers now. No annoying music and saves money!

It was then I got that sinking feeling I am old!

• Advertisement

When you want to listen to nice relaxing music a jig/reel not like that 'racket' on most of them modern music stations. You don't get autotune on RnaG.

That is another sign of knowing your getting old. Realising that Autotune is the norm in the modern charts. And the 'youngsters' not knowing any different.

Apparently Rock 'died' around 2010. And it will likely become a niche genre like Jazz.

I still can't get my head around all the hip hop/rap stuff. I remember when that used to be considered a novelty and a bit of a laugh. Now people in Ireland seem to seriously buy it and listen to it.

Pre-Covid I remember the 'Trendy Barber's' across the road from me was playing non-stop Hip Hop stuff blaring. I was wondering were they actually enjoying it? And wondered would it be OK to ask them to turn it off? I wanted to read the paper in peace! But then I realised the rest of the people must be enjoying it? I use the hair clippers now. No annoying music and saves money!

It was then I got that sinking feeling I am old!

Id say a lot of young people dont like that music either, often hear of young people in to music from the 60s, 70s, 90, 00s etc

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tiger20

When you get up from the barbers chair after a haircut and wonder where the grey hair on the ground came from....and then realise

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Remembering once it was the right that called for censorship and now it is the left that actively pursues wrong think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

Pfffff, it's no commodore 64 by God

At that time the holy grail for me was getting a Sinclair Spectrum - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum My mate had one and the ‘quality’ of the games and graphics was so far ahead of the ZX81.

Then the Commodore 64 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64) and the Amstrad CPC 464 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_CPC) became my dream computers!

I remember we had these - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Micro - in secondary school. But they were so expensive we were never allowed much access to them (and also because of teachers barely knew how to turn them on :).

At that time the holy grail for me was getting a Sinclair Spectrum - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum My mate had one and the ‘quality’ of the games and graphics was so far ahead of the ZX81.

Then the Commodore 64 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64) and the Amstrad CPC 464 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_CPC) became my dream computers!

I remember we had these - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Micro - in secondary school. But they were so expensive we were never allowed much access to them (and also because of teachers barely knew how to turn them on :).

Ah yes, when drawing a square via code was computer class

A/s/l?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

At the gym, I thought I was blending in nicely until the lad next to me piped up, “You’re old, what were the Seventies like?”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

You’re telling a funny story at a family gathering that isn’t getting the attention it clearly deserves, belatedly realize you’ve told it before to them more than once, and press on regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

when your reading a thread called "signs that your getting old" :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

sporina wrote: »
    when your reading a thread called "signs that your getting old" :pac:

It's worse when you're writing in it!

• Advertisement

Another one that just happened me there when flicking through the channels.
    Crocodile Dundee on.

Me: grand wholesome film that was.

I press info to see what the year was 1986...the one where he goes to NY.
    I kept reading the caption - at the end it stated.

'Humour reflecting the attitudes of the era'

Me: Ah for **** sake wha?

Then realise this is another to add to the list of getting old.

Political correctness shocking me, in what I consider was a 'wholesome' film!

Political correctness shocking me, in what I consider was a 'wholesome' film![/QUOTE]

Some of those classic comedies from the 80's....
    It ain't half hot mom.
    Love thy neighbour.
    Till death do us part.

They wouldn't get anywhere near the planning stage nowdays

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Even Frasier would be too much, these days, with Bulldog's behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

You know you're getting old when a routine trip to your GP ends up with his finger up your bum:D

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

You know you're getting old when a routine trip to your GP ends up with his finger up your bum:D

Awkward erections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

New Home wrote: »
    Even Frasier would be too much, these days, with Bulldog's behaviour.

I was watching an ancient old house boxset of Rising Damp. Still as hilarious and politically incorrect as it always was. Now I know why it will never be seen on tv again. Lost to all future . generations. Tragic. Must be getting old.

Also getting banned on current affairs for spelling out the bleeding obvious. The future is not bright.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

As long as it's his finger....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As long as it's his finger....
    A good rule of thumb, so to speak, is one hand on your shoulder for comforting reassurance, OK, a hand on both shoulders, call the Guards.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Wibbs wrote: »
    A good rule of thumb, so to speak, is one hand on your shoulder for comforting reassurance, OK, a hand on both shoulders, call the Guards.

For a proper gang bang?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Telling people about John McEnroe.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Telling people about John McEnroe.

You cannot be serious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Also was watching Terminator 2 recently - from the bar scene, the actor that played the main biker (You forgot to say please) and the bartender (Can't let you take the man's wheels son) are both dead for around 20 years.
    Terminator 2 is actually 30 years old this year. :eek:

My Daughter got a brand new hybrid car...so I'm out with her doing the " oh yeah its fantastic" test drive..... BLUE MONDAY by new order comes on the radio.....I casually say " gee, I got that 12inch record in the attic somewhere" , then the dj says " first released in 1983"........1983???? can clearly remember blowing pocket money on that & playing it over & over!!!!! I'm definitely " over the hill"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭WildWater

joeguevara wrote: »
    You cannot be serious!

It was chalk dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

WildWater wrote: »
    It was chalk dust.

Remember the song?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I used to go to bed with the reasonable expectation that any aches and pains would be better in the morning.

Now I go to bed and expect to wake up with pain I didn't have the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Listening to people in their early 20s talking sh!te and not being able to get your head around it that they are not in fact 12 year olds.

My 12 year old son actually sounds more mature :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

When you don't wake up every single morning with 6-8 inches of raging blue steel in your cacks that could pulverise reinforced concrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

When you don't wake up every single morning with 6-8 inches of raging blue steel in your cacks that could pulverise reinforced concrete.

That could pull a T-Rex out of quicksand:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

When you can only be bothered checking on AH once in a blue moon instead of checking it every time you're on boards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement