Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish "cuisine" book for an American chef

Options
  • 03-12-2020 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

A friend I know is American (also a chef) and I wanted to get them something Irish, probably a cooking book. I feel Irish cuisine is mainly based around surviving, but was wondering if there's any good cookbooks that focus on specific Irish delicacies. Stuff like coddle, not just Irish stew. Doesn't even have to be a cookbook, if there's a book about Irish dishes, that would work as well.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I would definitely buy them a nice hardback from Darina Allen. There are lots to choose from. Her focus is on fresh and local foods and really the team at Ballymaloe can't be beat for Irish cuisine for home cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ireland's green larder by Margaret Hickey is more of a cultural history than cook book, if you are looking for something more in that space.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

The Irish Country Women's Association has a recipe book with recipes from their members. Specifically mentions coddle in the description here:

https://www.gillbooks.ie/food-drink/food-drink/the-irish-countrywomens-association-cookbook

I have a baking one from them and it's jam packed so I'd say this is the same. They always have sort of handy "mammy" tricks as well.

Advertisement