Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term hunt wheel reviews

Options
  • 03-12-2020 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any long term hunt wheel reviews please?.Just curious as to what they are like two or three years on. Bought a set and they are very good, transformed the whole comfort of the bike.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

which ones did you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Forget rolling resistance, lightness, aerodynamics, strength, cost. The biggest question for me with modern wheels and the industry's tubeless and tubeless ready malarkey is:

Are tyres a complete nightmare to fit and remove, or not?

It's literally my primary motivation now behind wheelset buying. I've actively stocked on some banker sets of old-school tubed clinchers that I know are easy to mount tyres onto to keep me going for the next couple of years. I've heard that the Hunts can be somewhat recalcitrant in this regard! Would be interested to hear a long term view too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Depends on the tyre.
    There were vredistein (that's totally spelt wrong) 4 seasons I think they're called on them when I got them, no bother on and off. Schwalbe One tubeless the same.
    I use gp 5000's and they're harder on and off, but tyre levers get them on for me.
    I do not have strong hands!

My wheels are a few years old now, they were Alanbt's. Still grand for me so far *touches wood*

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

which ones did you buy?

Hunt aeros 33s disc. Don't know what it's like getting tyres on and off them as the shop done them. I did have 4 seasons on the pr2s and they were handy enough to get on and off. They ate now on the hunts. The gp 5000 clinchers I had on previously were a pig to get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

Few lads on the summer group rides with Hunt wheels and nothing but clicking and creaking from the rear wheel. Bearings shot after 600 kms

• Advertisement

Few lads on the summer group rides with Hunt wheels and nothing but clicking and creaking from the rear wheel. Bearings shot after 600 kms

Why didn't they get them fixed under warranty? There is a 3 year warranty with them. Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

A looked after and well built set of disc wheels can last forever.
    A wheelset with a poor quality build ie bad spoke tensions or voided rims will show up pretty fast and can be replaced under warranty
    Generally if your lighter rider amd dont ride aggresivley your rims should last and wont buckle.
    Same above for the spokes but you should service your wheels annually checking and evening out spoke tension and truing the wheel as a lot of snapped spokes buckels are exacerbated by poor spoke tension.
    Hubs are a part of a bike that last forever so no worries there.
    You will probably find that you will have the replace bearings soon enough, hunt and a lot of other wheel manufacturers use cheaper bearings in their hubs. Not that theyre bad but they lack the precision of better quality brands like ntn skf fag etc. On any of my wheels ill just let the original bearings wear out and replace with a good quality brand as it a nice inexpensive upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I bought a set of the 4 season Hunt wheels second hand here on cycling adverts in 2017 and they have been perfect since. Used on CX races, gravel spins and general hacking about the easier Coillte MTB trails. Still perfect.
    Easy enough to get tyres on and inflate tubeless easily enough too.

Cheers for replies. Impulse purchase but I'm glad I bought them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've a pair of alu disc ones since last summer and no issues with them. Need to change one of the tubeless tires though so might be back to you after that is done

• Advertisement

I've a pair of alu disc ones since last summer and no issues with them. Need to change one of the tubeless tires though so might be back to you after that is done

I have 4 season clinchers on mine as I'm not a fan of tubeless. Good to hear they are working out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Mine are on well over 10000km and still freewheeling beautifully. Hunt are quite proactive AFAIK on good appearances and I imagine if they bought them in the last year or two would only have to pay for shipping.

No issues getting GP4000S II on mine, they are tubeless ready but I haven't gone down that route on them yet

CramCycle wrote: »
    Mine are on well over 10000km and still freewheeling beautifully. Hunt are quite proactive AFAIK on good appearances and I imagine if they bought them in the last year or two would only have to pay for shipping.

No issues getting GP4000S II on mine, they are tubeless ready but I haven't gone down that route on them yet

Good to hear. Are yours carbon?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Good to hear. Are yours carbon?

Alloy, Hunt race aero.

Advertisement