Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age 50 and want totally change career - ideas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

beauf wrote: »
    Hence the bit you removed from the quote for some reason.

Most builders, tradesmen are getting out of the game at 50+. But people in non physical jobs, might still be able for light work going forward. You're not going to become a Brickie at 50, or a plasterer.

I'm not suggesting take on tiling a wet room. But you tend to get asked to do splash backs and bits like that. Besides you can just tell them to get someone else to do the tiling if not something you want to do.

Mate of mine is a sparks. Makes decent money but his back is knackered and the knees shot. He already knows that he will need knee replacments in the next 10 years. Mid 40's and is looking for a way out.

...Hence the bit you removed from the quote for some reason.

My main point was the skillset, your average IT guy wouldn't be cut out for DIY work tbh.

I'm not suggesting take on tiling a wet room. But you tend to get asked to do splash backs and bits like that. Besides you can just tell them to get someone else to do the tiling if not something you want to do.

Yeah, I doubt it's a viable option for most if any tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Augeo wrote: »
    My main point was the skillset, your average IT guy wouldn't be cut out for DIY work tbh.

Ive done my share of building sites, and I dont feel like going back to it for sure. Its hard work and not good for you as you get older.

Dont mind for a week here and there or some DIY, but full-time. No.
    Definitely not something id want to change career into :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Kinda reverting to stereotypes there aren't we. It's DIY not working on sites. World of a difference. It's not rocket science either.

A better argument might not everyone is "handy" aka has the apptitude for it. But people aren't looking for master craftsmen. Just looking for basic stuff. They said if you aren't able to paint a wall or put a shelf up, I think you'd know it's not a viable career option.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Ive done my share of building sites, and I dont feel like going back to it for sure. Its hard work and not good for you as you get older.

Dont mind for a week here and there or some DIY, but full-time. No.
    Definitely not something id want to change career into :)

Not everyone is wrecked at 50. Especially people who've never done a lot of physical work in the past but kept fit and healthy.

But again it's not working on building sites, pouring concrete or being on roofs in all weathers. Hoofing blocks all over the place.

You meet a high % of tradesmen who are woeful. Can't drive a nail straight or paint a straight line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's why people burn out on a busy help desk especially in IT. Also because the work never ends. So theres no start, middle and end. I think people should rotate through those kinda jobs. Not be permanently in them.

Its the same in nearly every IT role unless you're a consultant and can f**k off once the contracts up and leave someone else holding the baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Totally disagree with you. I've taken up a lot o DiY this year and work in software development. Basically, I bought the necessary tools (thanks to cheap supplies in Aldi/Lidl) and used Youtube to learn how to do stuff. It's not professional at the start but practice makes improvements very quickly.

The woodwork in particular appeals to me as it's like programming, "bugs" or errors are easily corrected.

Bambi wrote: »
    Its the same in nearly every IT role unless you're a consultant and can f**k off once the contracts up and leave someone else holding the baby

Can't agree I don't think every role in IT is the same as being on a busy helpdesk long term. I found it soul destroying anyway. I was only doing 3rd tier support. I could never do it again.

Its like the first bars of U2 song on a radio...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

This came up on my linkedin feed:

Looking to grow in your job, find your next opportunity — or even switch fields entirely? These talks are full of advice for your next move.

(Disclaimer) I haven't watched any of the talks so far, but some of the titles look interesting so hopefully some of you might find it useful.

• Advertisement

Kinda reverting to stereotypes there aren't we. It's DIY not working on sites. World of a difference. It's not rocket science either.

A better argument might not everyone is "handy" aka has the apptitude for it. But people aren't looking for master craftsmen. Just looking for basic stuff. They said if you aren't able to paint a wall or put a shelf up, I think you'd know it's not a viable career option.

You are delirious suggesting a DIY handyman gig as a valid option for most folk looking at a career change IMO.
    You obviously won't agree but most folk expect top quality work when paying someone to do work.

Stereotypes me arse..... There's practically fnck all ex IT guys working as handymen.

Every notice board in the country as handymen advertising.(lots of them ex builders doing it part-time)... There's no shortage of folk able to do basic DIY jobs. It's not a viable career option for most of you look at the facts.

Totally disagree with you. I've taken up a lot o DiY this year and work in software development. Basically, I bought the necessary tools (thanks to cheap supplies in Aldi/Lidl) and used Youtube to learn how to do stuff. It's not professional at the start but practice makes improvements very quickly.

The woodwork in particular appeals to me as it's like programming, "bugs" or errors are easily corrected.

One swallow etc.... ;)
    What work would you be able to do for folk and what would you charge?

You are delirious suggesting a DIY handyman gig as a valid option for most folk looking at a career change IMO.
    You obviously won't agree but most folk expect top quality work when paying someone to do work.

Stereotypes me arse..... There's practically fnck all ex IT guys working as handymen.

Every notice board in the country as handymen advertising.(lots of them ex builders doing it part-time)... There's no shortage of folk able to do basic DIY jobs. It's not a viable career option for most of you look at the facts.

..and yet it's hard to get a good one because they are so busy...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handyman#:~:text=A%20handyman%2C%20also%20known%20as,"fix-up%20tasks".

I only mentioned it because I know of a few and have used them for property maintenance on rentals and similar. Lot of retired people also. A lot of estate agents who make properties generally know a few handymen also.

We are talking handyman not grand designs...
    Stereotypes me arse..... There's practically fnck all ex IT guys working as handymen.....

As far as I can see you're implying people can't switch careers for no real reason other than stereotypes.

Doesn't matter if it's not popular. It only matters that its another option and if it works for you.

Incidentally there's a book about getting a job and switching careers called "What Color Is Your Parachute?" Might start some ideas for the OP. It's a bit old fashioned. Those TED talks might easier place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭Tow

I have seen air traffic controller becoming a gardener. A good state job with pension vs self employed and happy.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Working today and trying to just really keep it together for the sake of the family.

Have 4 days off and probably already stressing about having to go back to work on Tuesday. Hoping that tomorrow I can switch off a bit more.

Trying to weigh up immediate savings and how long I would have before things get tight in case I finally pull the plug on my job.

Ive just had enough i think.
    Ive decided over the last few days that I am just quitting my job the minute covid is over.
    I'll take a year and go off with my brother to "help" him find his house or apartment in Portugal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Cautionary word on the eve of the New Year just to put it out there: I know of a few people who have made significant career changes in their forties and indeed, early fifties, and the one common denominator they all had in their list of reasons for looking to change was "to reduce stress".

It's position on their individual rankings of reasons varied, but it was always there.

Turns out stress has an amazing propensity to follow some people around. Just saying: it might not be the job/the work/the rules and procedures/the colleagues/customers/suppliers etc that are melting your head. Might be that a total change of scene will not give anymore than temporary relief until/unless some issues which run deeper and are more personal, are tackled. Or you risk swapping one stress for another.

Maybe start there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Tow wrote: »
    I have seen air traffic controller "leave" A good state job with pension .

Facinated, can you pm me details?

Redderneck wrote: »
    Cautionary word on the eve of the New Year just to put it out there: I know of a few people who have made significant career changes in their forties and indeed, early fifties, and the one common denominator they all had in their list of reasons for looking to change was "to reduce stress".

It's position on their individual rankings of reasons varied, but it was always there.

Turns out stress has an amazing propensity to follow some people around. Just saying: it might not be the job/the work/the rules and procedures/the colleagues/customers/suppliers etc that are melting your head. Might be that a total change of scene will not give anymore than temporary relief until/unless some issues which run deeper and are more personal, are tackled. Or you risk swapping one stress for another.

Maybe start there.

Mid life crisis :)

• Advertisement

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Mid life crisis :)
    I have one of those in my shed😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

AnRothar wrote: »
    Facinated, can you pm me details?

A route to it would be to work with a gardener for a couple of years and enrole in classes. For just maintainance the classes wouldn't be needed.

Setting up the business would involve buying equipment etc and a bit of hustling to pick up clients. Probably handy maintenance contracts from housing estates/industrial premises etc

Mimon wrote: »
    A route to it would be to work with a gardener for a couple of years and enrole in classes. For just maintainance the classes wouldn't be needed.

Setting up the business would involve buying equipment etc and a bit of hustling to pick up clients. Probably handy maintenance contracts from housing estates/industrial premises etc

I am more interested to see who jumped ship not the new role.

Redderneck wrote: »

Maybe start there.

This is very true. I realized what was causing much of my stress was certain people and their work habits. I moved laterally in the same job to a different team and it made huge difference. I also push back more with these people. They bring their disasters to me, I flip them and dump then back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

(apologies, was cleaning my laptop and posted by accident. Interesting thread. I'm also looking for a change.)

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

good luck getting a job at 50 employers don't want to know anyone over 45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭yagan

Dunfyy wrote: »
    I think it that very kind of small minded ratty thinking that drives people towards change. Age isn't an issue when it comes to having a speciality in demand. I'm in my 50s still taking contracts as they suit me but I want to change as I'm surrounded by money obsessed hamsters.

I've lined up retraining for a new career that's currently in high demand and actually highly favours maturity. while it may pay less than what I'm used to the overall rebalance is most definitely suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,838 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

yagan wrote: »
    I've lined up retraining for a new career that's currently in high demand and actually highly favours maturity.

Do you mind me asking what new career or industry?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Do you mind me asking what new career or industry?
    Yes I do as I don't want competition.

It took me years to stumble upon this niche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

i worked as a programmer for 20 years straight out of college and was with my last company for 10 years before being made redundant. it came at a good time because i was totally fed up with programming and extremely burnt out. i would also have liked to shift out of IT at this time but really you're trapped. all your experience is in one area and as you get older who would take you on elsewhere with no experience. plus your life is built up and depends on that salary at that point. anyhow i retrained as a project manager- did a few certificates- and was lucky enough to be hired by a small firm a few months later. still there 4 years later and while i'm still in IT, it's nothing like programming was. i don't find it stressful at all and seem to spend my days writing POs and spending a lot of the company's money. I now pay other people to do the programming. it's not ideal but it's more bearable for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tea For Two

It’s going back a good few years but I remember sharing a house with a lady (the house owner) who left her very well paying banking job after a nervous breakdown due to stress. She became a courier on a motorbike and went from leaving the house every morning in her business suit to leaving in leathers. She’s never regretted it

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭osullic

Why post about it in a career change thread then??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

the role is Boards mod, isnt it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So at 50+ you're trying to build up a career in an area with such a low barrier to entry that you are afraid to even mention it....

Should get interesting then when you try to peddle your services..

I think it that very kind of small minded ratty thinking that drives people towards change. Age isn't an issue when it comes to having a speciality in demand. I'm in my 50s still taking contracts as they suit me but I want to change as I'm surrounded by money obsessed hamsters.

I've lined up retraining for a new career that's currently in high demand and actually highly favours maturity. while it may pay less than what I'm used to the overall rebalance is most definitely suitable.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    So at 50+ you're trying to build up a career in an area with such a low barrier to entry that you are afraid to even mention it....

Should get interesting then when you try to peddle your services..
    I am fortunate to have had three distinct careers to this point, two were related to what I studied in college, the third was a total sideshoot but actually turned out to be the most lucrative. There's still loads of demand despite my age, but the hours can be long and I've grown extremely bored of it.

All I will say is that the next potential move is a medical speciality, and will be in greater demand for the forseeable specifically because of Covid. I've already got training in that field so it's really just a upgrade in certification I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It’s going back a good few years but I remember sharing a house with a lady (the house owner) who left her very well paying banking job after a nervous breakdown due to stress. She became a courier on a motorbike and went from leaving the house every morning in her business suit to leaving in leathers. She’s never regretted it

There's a good chance she had a good financial cushion after years in a well paying banking role (mortgage clear, well funded pension) which wouldn't be the case for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Can I ask what this new career would be ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Wonder is it the conversion to radiography , if you have any science degree you can do the conversion course

Probably not considered that lucrative in the scheme of things.

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Can I ask what this new career would be ?
    Absolutely not.

There's actually only a hand full of practitioners involved so everyone knows everyone in it.

The point of this thread is about career change after 50, and my point is that sometimes maturity is not a barrier to change and in some instances maturity and discretion is preferred.

• Advertisement

The point of this thread is about career change after 50....

But according to this, you are moving to a specialization within your area...

All I will say is that the next potential move is a medical speciality,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I think for a lot of us in the IT field in technical roles the movement into Project Management, as someone else on this thread mentioned they did, is a viable plan. It's certainly something that I've been thinking of doing.
    Initially it would be PM in a technical field but the role is needed in pretty much every industry and with a few years under my belt I should be able to apply for PM roles in other industries, at least that's what I'm hoping.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

But according to this, you are moving to a specialization within your area...
    No, not within my current area. After I leave my current area I will mostly likely never make the same about of money again. But the point is I'm not changing for the money.

I have experience in the field but still have to retrain to be certified here but from a work life balance it's the direction I want to go in, certainly as it will allow me a shorter working week which I can pare down further over the years.

As I've said I've been fortunate to have three distinct careers so far so another change isn't in itself the challenge. For me the challenge is managing a healthy work/life balance. We've been abroad for years so even settling back into Ireland is its own separate challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,838 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Supercell wrote: »
    I think for a lot of us in the IT field in technical roles the movement into Project Management, as someone else on this thread mentioned they did, is a viable plan. It's certainly something that I've been thinking of doing.
    Initially it would be PM in a technical field but the role is needed in pretty much every industry and with a few years under my belt I should be able to apply for PM roles in other industries, at least that's what I'm hoping.

You would think so but IT project managers tend to struggle in Manufacturing/MedTech project management.
    The latter tend to look for mechanical engineers with project management experience. Domain experience can be crucial.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tea For Two

There's a good chance she had a good financial cushion after years in a well paying banking role (mortgage clear, well funded pension) which wouldn't be the case for everyone.

True, but there’s no price on one’s mental health.

I have found this thread interesting by and large.

There have been a couple of posts where posters "know" someone who has successfully changed careers.
    But its memorable for them because they succeed and told people of their successful reinvention.
    No one publishes their failures (unless it's a memoir where they trumpet their ultimate success over adversity).
    Age isn't an issue when it comes to having a speciality in demand. I'm in my 50s still taking contracts as they suit me but I want to .
    But not all "specialities" are in demand.
    Several poster's here seem to be in IT and for them it has lost the "buzz".

Most people work to earn money. For some it's their dream job but for the rest of us it's a job.

Physically demanding roles are not a great idea as you age. For some they will be able to keep going, but for most old age and physically demanding roles will end badly.
    The ditch digger who is still digging ditches at 70 is news. Primarily because they are the exception not the rule.

• Advertisement

Physically demanding roles are not a great idea as you age..

Yep, as my father (RIP) used to say, when he was at us about homework: "It's a lot easier to push a pen than a shovel" and now you don't even have to push the pen!

I have found this thread interesting by and large.

There have been a couple of posts where posters "know" someone who has successfully changed careers.
    But its memorable for them because they succeed and told people of their successful reinvention.
    No one publishes their failures (unless it's a memoir where they trumpet their ultimate success over adversity).

But not all "specialities" are in demand.
    Several poster's here seem to be in IT and for them it has lost the "buzz".

Most people work to earn money. For some it's their dream job but for the rest of us it's a job.

Physically demanding roles are not a great idea as you age. For some they will be able to keep going, but for most old age and physically demanding roles will end badly.
    The ditch digger who is still digging ditches at 70 is news. Primarily because they are the exception not the rule.
    I think that's lost on a few posters who think a career change at any age isn't worth it if it means less pay.

I'll happily take a pay cut for less stress and shorter hours now but I'm aware not everyone has the luxury to do that.

I think a lot of people (not all obviously) who had to work from home have a new appreciation of the savings made in time and overall well being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Yep, as my father (RIP) used to say, when he was at us about homework: "It's a lot easier to push a pen than a shovel" and now you don't even have to push the pen!

I think I'll use that one for my own kids.ðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Dunfyy wrote: »

I got a degree in accountancy after 30 and nobody wanted to know. Its not even on my CV anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I got a degree in accountancy after 30 and nobody wanted to know. Its not even on my CV anymore.
    Funny enough know a guy who got accountancy degree at 40 and same story , very closed off profession in some regards .

• Advertisement
Advertisement