Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance dilemma

• 03-12-2020 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone! I am 29 years old EU citizen with full EU drivers license since 2009. I have moved to Ireland 1,5 year ago and I have started thinking about buying a car, but firstly I am trying to figure out what are my options in terms of brands and car size engines, since I am limited with fact that I do not have "No claim" bonus, at least not from insurers in Ireland. I was browsing the internet for basic tips how to keep your insurance premium low: newer car (10 yo max) with a small engine (1.4L max) is the best combination. Also, I am aware that the best strategy is to shop around and get the quotes, but I have one dilemma that I would like to share with you. I am wondering would there be a huge difference between ensuring 2015 Ford Focus (1.0) and Audi A3 2014 1.4tfsi? Since there is only 0.4 litres difference between those two engines. Are these cars different insurance groups, since Audi has more models that share the same 1.4 engine (A1,A3,A4), so would these cars be similar in terms of premium quotes based on the fact that they share the same engine? Your comments or suggestions on what car would be a good option are welcome. Btw. I will be making around 10000 km per year and I am aiming for a petrol engine car in the budget range between 7000 and 12000 euros. Thank you in advance and I am excited to have what do you think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

You need to phone a lot of companies.
    And you need to swap your licence for an Irish one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

How recently do you have insurance? Some brokers/insurers will give some credit for insurance outside of Ireland as long as it's recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 David1991

cml387 wrote: »

Thank you so much for the advice, I have sent it out to their office yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 David1991

seagull wrote: »
    How recently do you have insurance? Some brokers/insurers will give some credit for insurance outside of Ireland as long as it's recent.

That sounds like a great idea, I will ask my insurance company to send no claim certificate in English. Also, I was insured till January this year, so hopefully, no claim certificate will help. Thank you for the great tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

ask your previous insurer for a letter stating that you have been insured for whatever number of years, and get them to detail any claims you had (it's best if there are none). This letter could end up saving you hundreds of euros. The insurance companies in Ireland give discounts to drivers who have had no claims for 5 or more years (referred to as a "no claims bonus") and it has a big impact on the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Why would he swap an EU license for an Irish one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

micah537 wrote: »
    Why would he swap an EU license for an Irish one?

Might get a cheaper quote. If the OP intends to stay long term in Ireland it would be no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Might get a cheaper quote. If the OP intends to stay long term in Ireland it would be no harm.

+1 Definitely worth getting an Irish one.

Also the recommendation to try a few brokers is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

u2me wrote: »
    ask your previous insurer for a letter stating that you have been insured for whatever number of years, and get them to detail any claims you had (it's best if there are none). This letter could end up saving you hundreds of euros. The insurance companies in Ireland give discounts to drivers who have had no claims for 5 or more years (referred to as a "no claims bonus") and it has a big impact on the cost.

Not all insurance companies accept foreign insurance when calculating no claims discounts, so you'll probably have to call quite a few. It might be worth going through a broker. They should know which insurers give the best discount for foreign insurance.

Advertisement