Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windscreen extender for a 2010 BMW GSA 1200

Options
  • 03-12-2020 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Hey all, looking to see if anyone has any recommendations for above.

I did have one before, albeit a cheap ass one off Wish, just to try it and see if they made much of a difference to riding. It did, so much so that when it broke (twas cheap and didn't last pissing time) that I sorely miss it now. Ill post a pic of what I had in the comments.

I have been looking at ones online that cost almost €100 that look exactly the same as the one I had, but I can't shake the feeling that this wouldn't last, same as the last one.

I'm 6'2" and sit on the high seat setting as I like being up so high. Now when I go for a spin my head to be rattling as it seems my eyeline is perfectly lined up for the wind turbulence coming over the top of the windscreen.

Has anyone else out there got extenders on their bike they would highly recommend or know of any

Thanks 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Pics of the one I got from Wish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If you're set on an extender look at one that is built into the windscreen already and change the whole screen, adding an extender to an existing screen can weaken it. The extension will put more force on the existing screen than it was designed for and also any drilling runs a risk of a crack and these spread fast due to vibes. I've bought cheap Chinese screens in the past and they lasted fine, I've also had known brand screens that cracked too. I'd still recommend a good brand like MRA or Givi over the Chinese screens and if you're set on an extender these are often an optional extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Colm Cummins

cococoady wrote: »
    Hey all, looking to see if anyone has any recommendations for above.

I did have one before, albeit a cheap ass one off Wish, just to try it and see if they made much of a difference to riding. It did, so much so that when it broke (twas cheap and didn't last pissing time) that I sorely miss it now. Ill post a pic of what I had in the comments.

I have been looking at ones online that cost almost €100 that look exactly the same as the one I had, but I can't shake the feeling that this wouldn't last, same as the last one.

I'm 6'2" and sit on the high seat setting as I like being up so high. Now when I go for a spin my head to be rattling as it seems my eyeline is perfectly lined up for the wind turbulence coming over the top of the windscreen.

Has anyone else out there got extenders on their bike they would highly recommend or know of any

Thanks ��

Mra screen, https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjn0bflh7XtAhVM1O0KHYnYC4cYABAHGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQOD2thlPtfVFH8K-dn1ReLWh3s1gSBd0zbDxchDBpaYE9WYe6NnziXg49KVIP143v48Qsf1o1fvAZDyuj4oduPI&sig=AOD64_3aX43dHn6pR-4O2LHZpDC5Nlz2TA&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjBjK_lh7XtAhWSonEKHeXLCzYQ9aACegQIBRBe&adurl= you might be lucky and get one second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Also try two other things:

1. Lower the screen, it can actually be better than making it higher so you are not in the buffeting air

2. Is your helmet decent? A good lightweight aero helmet works wonders. Those adventure helmets look cool, but are awful for buffeting. Same for heavy helmets, makes the buffeting worst on your neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

colm_c wrote: »
    Also try two other things:

1. Lower the screen, it can actually be better than making it higher so you are not in the buffeting air

2. Is your helmet decent? A good lightweight aero helmet works wonders. Those adventure helmets look cool, but are awful for buffeting. Same for heavy helmets, makes the buffeting worst on your neck.

I've driven bikes that have had small or no screen at all, but much prefer a higher screen deflecting the wind up and over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement