Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlecurragh houses to be removed from management company

Options
  • 03-12-2020 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

My sister owns one of the duplex apartments in Castlecurragh and got a leaflet from the management company saying that the houses are to be removed from the management company structure, probably by the end of next year. Fingal County Council are going to provide services free for the communal areas around the houses in the estate, the apartments are to remain in the fee paying service charge remit of the Castlecurragh Management Company.

Duplex apartment owners are to be responsible for any issues with the roofing of the apartment blocks rather than the management company however, this is unusual in apartment management company law in Ireland, however that is the way it is going to be in Castlecurragh based on the legalities involved, apparently the management company sought the advice of Senior Counsel in this matter and that was the legal basis of the applicable leases involved for Castlecurragh.

The management company has over half a million euro in unpaid service charges, payment has been very low throughout the estate over the years, house owners are to be pursued through the courts to pay outstanding balances prior to being released from the management company apparently.

My sister is not too happy that apartments are being kept in the management company as she feels everyone either house or apartment owners signed up to the management company service charge fees as a condition of purchase, apartment owners are being treated as second class citizens in relation to this, either the whole estate should have been taken in charge by the Fingal County Council and the management company dissolved for all or else reconfigured properly for ALL house owners and apartment owners alike in the estate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Apartments have to stay in a management company as the management company owns the buildings. The apartments have a long lease (could be up to 999 years) from the management company but the house owners own their buildings.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Wilbury Twist, I have moved your post to Accommodation & Property as you will get more users with a working knowledge of management companies there. Accommodation & Property charter rules now apply. Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The management company has over half a million euro in unpaid service charges, payment has been very low throughout the estate over the years, house owners are to be pursued through the courts to pay outstanding balances prior to being released from the management company apparently.

As an owner (and by extension a shareholder in the Owners Management Company), I would have thought your sister (and every other owner) would have been given the opportunity to vote on the proposed changes either at the OMC AGM or at an EGM.

Reading between the lines, i would guess the board of the OMC (comprising other fellow owners) has taken this route as a means of hiving off a large chunk of the delinquent owners. That's pure speculation on my part.

You should ask your sister what happened at the AGM/EGM.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fingal County Council are going to provide services free for the communal areas around the houses in the estate, the apartments are to remain in the fee paying service charge remit of the Castlecurragh Management Company.

Duplex apartment owners are to be responsible for any issues with the roofing of the apartment blocks rather than the management company however
    Does your sister have full use of the attic for storage before, or does she now?

Would think that herself & other duplex apartment owners band together and get a solicitor to look at the legalities of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jebi1717

My sister owns one of the duplex apartments in Castlecurragh and got a leaflet from the management company saying that the houses are to be removed from the management company structure, probably by the end of next year. Fingal County Council are going to provide services free for the communal areas around the houses in the estate, the apartments are to remain in the fee paying service charge remit of the Castlecurragh Management Company.

Duplex apartment owners are to be responsible for any issues with the roofing of the apartment blocks rather than the management company however, this is unusual in apartment management company law in Ireland, however that is the way it is going to be in Castlecurragh based on the legalities involved, apparently the management company sought the advice of Senior Counsel in this matter and that was the legal basis of the applicable leases involved for Castlecurragh.

My sister is not too happy that apartments are being kept in the management company as she feels everyone either house or apartment owners signed up to the management company service charge fees as a condition of purchase, apartment owners are being treated as second class citizens in relation to this, either the whole estate should have been taken in charge by the Fingal County Council and the management company dissolved for all or else reconfigured properly for ALL house owners and apartment owners alike in the estate.

Do you have a copy of any of the letters / notices. ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement