Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone not getting sms from Microsoft to change password

Options
  • 03-12-2020 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Exactly this. I changed password no prob 10 days ago. I went into hotmail settings to change more details this evening. When prompted to enter 4 digit code it never arrived to phone. When I tried to add the phone no, I am instructed that it already is attached to account.

The latest is that I updated the phone number to the account, using the dropped 0 phone number for international numbers. This has worked.
    Unfortunately, I am locked out of making changes to security and addresses for a month, due to Microsoft policy/security.

I am still concerned as to why my phone number linked to hotmail/microsoft was not working as it should have. (receiving text sms to confirm account changes).

Should I close my hotmail account or does this seem resolved?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

eddie73 wrote: »
    Exactly this. I changed password no prob 10 days ago. I went into hotmail settings to change more details this evening. When prompted to enter 4 digit code it never arrived to phone. When I tried to add the phone no, I am instructed that it already is attached to account.

The latest is that I updated the phone number to the account, using the dropped 0 phone number for international numbers. This has worked.
    Unfortunately, I am locked out of making changes to security and addresses for a month, due to Microsoft policy/security.

I am still concerned as to why my phone number linked to hotmail/microsoft was not working as it should have. (receiving text sms to confirm account changes).

Should I close my hotmail account or does this seem resolved?

Thanks in advance.
    Only user with SMS code will be able to make changes to account personal/security settings. However, access to mail is only protected by password *
    If in doubt/concerned ->> https://account.live.com/Activity (This will require SMS code confirmation.) Look through list of records to see any suspicious activity(unrecognized locations, devices, IP's)

Not receiving SMS code could be due to(but not limited):
    You provided incorrect number
    You out of coverage (SMS would be delivered at later stage)
    Your phone have incorrect SMS service settings (you would fail to receive any SMS)
    Your ISP failed to deliver service (contact ISP)
    MS failed to send (unlikely, but you can contact them and ask)

Within security>advanced security settings there is option to generate recovery code, in case of being locked out, other options. This is permanent code so don't share/send over mail/loose. You will be able to generate new, but only if you have access to account settings.
    Recovery code

You can use this code to access your account if you lose access to your sign-in info. Print this out and keep it in a safe place or take a picture of it.
    Generate a new code
    * Also review Two-step verification - might help you be and feel safer
    What happens when you turn on two-step verification
    If you turn on two-step verification, you’ll get a security code to your email, phone, or authenticator app every time you sign in on a device that isn't trusted. When two-step verification is turned off, you will only have to verify your identity with security codes periodically, when there might be a risk to your account security.

Advertisement