Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on this potential build?

Options
  • 04-12-2020 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

So on my other thread i learned m old PC isn't worth a thing anymore and I'm enjoying the notion of building a new one as a project.

I would like to build a new relatively neat/plain PC, that is a good all-rounder and will be future proofed for a number of years. I've not kept up to date with PC components spec...but 12 years ago I built my first PC which is a full tower that's now slow and taking up space. So was thinking of going a little smaller in size this time so I can discretely put the PC hidden behind some ventilated drawers within my desk (hence not really caring about style and just wanting something plain) And have a neat desk setup where i work from home on Mac by day and have the PC to easily swap to for my own non-work use.

Here's what I put together after an hour or so reading back up on things and what looks OK:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nnCc4d
    God i wish this site existed when i did my first build years ago!

Below I've answered the questions in the stickies...but please feel free to ask more questions, or suggest alternatives.

1. What is your budget?
    €1200 max (ideally!...pls at least try not to twist my arm further haha)

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    All round purpose please- I occasionally play games, mostly older ones but want the option incase a new a one comes out that I'm interested in. Otherwise browsing/streaming/downloading etc. My spec above might be a little overkill? but i kinda like having so it stands the test of time a bit longer.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    Maybe? My old PC has windows and over time it's upgraded itself onto Windows 10. No idea where the original serial code is. Is there a way i can find this on the old PC and transfer to the new build? Or is it better to start fresh? (I'm not up to speed on the way Windows OS's are split now if they are)

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    I've an older PC that's 12+ years old which is likely not worth using anything from. I'd Prefer start fresh i think.

5. Do you need a new monitor(s)?
    No - I've 2 DELL U2415 monitors provided for by work which I use daily when working off the work Macbook. My aim is to be able to also just hook up the new PC to these monitors for simple switching from PC to Mac.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    Nope - got all the external pieces I need.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    Nope - was burned by this before killing my first motherboard.

Am i missing anything from the build list in the link above?

Feel free to suggest what's better options - this is my first stab at it and i think this will be an iterative/work in progress till I settle on what to click 'purchase' on. Am in no rush!

Comments

Advertisement