Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Charges

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Three pages and nobody mentioned PTSB.

I couldn't recommend them because they are such hassle to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

You do realise you'll end up with an AIB account one day given EBS is part of AIB and one day they will merge the two brands.

I didn't realise that. But I don't mind it atm.

Just going with free account with euro purchases.
    I'd use revolut for non euro purchases.
    Changing for the reduction in fees.
    AIB charges the most, leave them to EBS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

The Haven wrote: »

Just a word of warning..I opened a regular saver with EBS then paying 1.25%. I then opened an EBS MONEY MANAGER current account.EBS have dreadful internet banking. Antiquated. No app...! I moved to EBS from BOI ( where I paid €20 per year)then I opened an account with KBC. I usually withdraw €100 which in these covid times lasts me weeks. I'm old fashioned and like cash and dont like my statement peppered with small transactions. I drip feed higher interest regular savings accounts such as Ulster bank paying 0.85% from my EBS account. I use my KBC current a/c for most of my day to day banking as good banking app but slow to show up ATM withdrawls in real time. I lodge 2k into KBC per month for free banking and lodged 10kinto their regular saver paying 0.55%. I would have preferred BOI but told them to **** off when they wanted €72 in fees. Why should I pay them that?

KBC are in for the hard sell. Some Young inexperienced staff at branch with little personality. ( god be with the days when banks treated me like a VIP and I'm not old) KBC branches have a clinical feel.KBC Kept e mailing me looking to invest and buy insurance products realizing I was a cute hoor and they wouldnt make a penny from me in fact in costing them money as they're paying me interest when rates are negative. Love it when I beat the Banks cause I hate banks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The Haven wrote: »

Why not just use revolut for everything if tiy have an account with them - cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Just a word of warning..I opened a regular saver with EBS then paying 1.25%. I then opened an EBS MONEY MANAGER current account.EBS have dreadful internet banking. Antiquated. No app...! I moved to EBS from BOI ( where I paid €20 per year)then I opened an account with KBC. I usually withdraw €100 which in these covid times lasts me weeks. I'm old fashioned and like cash and dont like my statement peppered with small transactions. I drip feed higher interest regular savings accounts such as Ulster bank paying 0.85% from my EBS account. I use my KBC current a/c for most of my day to day banking as good banking app but slow to show up ATM withdrawls in real time. I lodge 2k into KBC per month for free banking and lodged 10kinto their regular saver paying 0.55%. I would have preferred BOI but told them to **** off when they wanted €72 in fees. Why should I pay them that?

KBC are in for the hard sell. Some Young inexperienced staff at branch with little personality. ( god be with the days when banks treated me like a VIP and I'm not old) KBC branches have a clinical feel.KBC Kept e mailing me looking to invest and buy insurance products realizing I was a cute hoor and they wouldnt make a penny from me in fact in costing them money as they're paying me interest when rates are negative. Love it when I beat the Banks cause I hate banks.

I don't mind all that for the situation I am in.
    Thanks for this information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,798 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So has anyone any suggestions for best current account to use, if you were thinking of moving away from BoI and their new charges?

Or is it pointless, considering its probably only a matter of time before they are all charging you to hold a current account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,295 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You do realise you'll end up with an AIB account one day given EBS is part of AIB and one day they will merge the two brands.

They have begun a build-out of EBS branches in areas with existing AIB branches - they are clearly preparing to sell, not merge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

NIMAN wrote: »
    So has anyone any suggestions for best current account to use, if you were thinking of moving away from BoI and their new charges?

Or is it pointless, considering its probably only a matter of time before they are all charging you to hold a current account?

KBC if you lodge €2k per month into their Extra current account. But the cynic in me suggests only a matter of time before they charge.

Advertisement