Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a wimp!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

listermint wrote: »
    Jacket is direct to battery via fuse.

Grips are via a Switched Relay for ignition.

Grips

Jacket

The Alternator will have three wires that come out of the case, those three wires will go to the R/R and they come out as two wires supplying regulated power, these two wires should go straight to the Battery as a fused supply, many bikes take the power all around the bike first then to the Battery which results in a lot of power loss.
    Worth doing this as the gains can be substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭listermint

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The Alternator will have three wires that come out of the case, those three wires will go to the R/R and they come out as two wires supplying regulated power, these two wires should go straight to the Battery as a fused supply, many bikes take the power all around the bike first then to the Battery which results in a lot of power loss.
    Worth doing this as the gains can be substantial.

Cheers, il take a look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

OP you're not a wimp at all.
    Very sensible I'd say.

You can never rely on the roads being salted.
    Saturday night the council in a Leinster area didn't salt the roads till 9 am Sunday morning.

The roundabouts were like skating rinks.

You can be as careful and as skilled as you like on a bike on ice but all it takes is someone in a car, truck or bus to slide into you on a roundabout, corner or junction and wipe you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Years ago, around the time of a big snow/freeze, I was looking forward to the idea of 'speedway riding' my Funduro to work.

10 metres I got, max, from the gate. And slid gracefully. -ish. You have no idea how heavy an F650 is when it's on it's side......and there's so little grip you can't stand.

That cured me for life that did.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

galwaytt wrote: »
    Years ago, around the time of a big snow/freeze, I was looking forward to the idea of 'speedway riding' my Funduro to work.

10 metres I got, max, from the gate. And slid gracefully. -ish. You have no idea how heavy an F650 is when it's on it's side......and there's so little grip you can't stand.

That cured me for life that did.

LOL, been there.

One people might not think of... my first encounter with ice on a bike, probably within my first year riding. I was at a stop sign, went to put my foot down and it was pure ice, luckily I didn't go over it with the tyres, just when I copped my foot was sliding I gave it a little juice to find somewhere else to put the foot down. Pure luck or instinct, I'm not sure which but probably the former. I've always been conscious of where I go to put my foot down since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

zubair wrote: »
    LOL, been there.

One people might not think of... my first encounter with ice on a bike, probably within my first year riding. I was at a stop sign, went to put my foot down and it was pure ice, luckily I didn't go over it with the tyres, just when I copped my foot was sliding I gave it a little juice to find somewhere else to put the foot down. Pure luck or instinct, I'm not sure which but probably the former. I've always been conscious of where I go to put my foot down since.

That’s not something I’d even have considered. Thanks for the tip!

For what it’s worth, the cold doesn’t bother me, just add on an extra layer to the clothes beneath the outer gear, it’s the ice and stuff where I’d be concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

That’s not something I’d even have considered. Thanks for the tip!

For what it’s worth, the cold doesn’t bother me, just add on an extra layer to the clothes beneath the outer gear, it’s the ice and stuff where I’d be concerned.

You can get some good winter tires as well. I don't have them, I just have a lower tire pressure on 2 inch tires. I was out yesterday and came upon a coupla guys in their sixties, stopped because one fell when sliding on some icy leaves on a footbridge. One should definitely avoid slick tires at below freezing temps.

It was minus 4, and minus 9 with the windchill yesterday, and with good outerwear, it was pretty nice. There are fewer folks on the cycling paths, and when I get off the paths onto dirt roads, the usually muddy roads are frozen now, so provide a.better ride.

Chambly, Quebec, Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

LOL, been there.

Also noted an important tip over the summer... I always put my foot down parallel to the bike. However, it's less likely to slip if you position your food more perpendicular to the bike. Small change, but it did seem to make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    You can get some good winter tires as well. I don't have them, I just have a lower tire pressure on 2 inch tires.

Cycling forum >>>> :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

They tend to salt and grit more frequently than us, probably due to better resources and slightly different weather conditions. But I have noticed since the season we ran out of salt that the gritters are out the night before as soon as 0 degrees is forecast, it wasn't as regular as that before.

They've gone way overboard in some councils IMHO since that winter.

Most of my work commute is (was!) on DCC roads, it'd always be noticeable when crossing the 'border' into SDCC with the amount of crap they'd spread on the road

Usually on nights with the temp barely hitting zero or not even reaching it. Also done way too early in the evening when the rush hour traffic would disperse it before the temps dropped.

Complete waste of money, pollutes the environment and corrodes the shít out of bikes! :mad:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

This youtuber was linked on a playlist for new/returning bikers, he runs bike training in the UK. So it can happen to anyone, useful vid on what to do and how to pick up the bike if she does go over

• Registered Users Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭listermint

omerin wrote: »
    This youtuber was linked on a playlist for new/returning bikers, he runs bike training in the UK. So it can happen to anyone, useful vid on what to do and how to pick up the bike if she does go over

Tbh. Looking at his vid it's an extremely amateur manevour by what's supposed to be an instructor. He turned in to hard with the steering. Almost looked like he over corrected for speed . Very hard left. Wheel was always going down with that stupidity.

Extremely robotic zero fluidity.

He put less rubber on the road with that action. Inevitable

Under those conditions I was surprised how fast he went into that corner, always much more chance of frost on a side road than a main one.

L-plate on the bike, too! :rolleyes:

If it's one his pupils use he should take it off when he's riding it.

No point L-plates existing if every second vehicle has one. Some particularly stupid cagers have both L and N plates, making their car illegal no matter who is driving it!

Also fuel injection bikes have rollover switches so the engine will cut out when the bike falls. Ye olde carbs don't work on their sides...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

listermint wrote: »
    Tbh. Looking at his vid it's an extremely amateur manevour by what's supposed to be an instructor. He turned in to hard with the steering. Almost looked like he over corrected for speed . Very hard left. Wheel was always going down with that stupidity.

Extremely robotic zero fluidity.

He put less rubber on the road with that action. Inevitable

I would like to see the video unedited. IMHO he took the corner at a slow enough speed. Its hard to tell when he pauses it.. Strange as it sounds I tend to ride on the frosted surface getting out of the housing estate in the morning. So my tyre is the first contact of that surface. Make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

When I arrive home in the evening, I turn the bike so that its nose is facing out toward the road, nearly slipped off trying to reverse it out onto the road shuffling backwards, lesson learnt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

He took it pretty slow and there's barely any lean on the bike, you have to get around the corner somehow thiugh. But even if you're going straight and upright on ice the odds are against you on a bike.

Advertisement