Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEC Practicals and Orals 2021

Options
  • 04-12-2020 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Maybe it's just me, but has anyone else noticed that re- appointment letters and online recruitment for these tasks are unusually late this year?

Usually, we have sent our mugshots and applications in by this stage

I hope SEC/Dept of Ed and Skills are not thinking of abandoning ship yet again, after the fiasco of last year.

It does make one wonder!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

On the flip-side, practical paperwork has been sent out months earlier than usual. Curious indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

I wonder are they just hoping to get the 2020 exams done before starting the recruitment process for 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

I’ve heard the orals will be on during Easter hols, which is what Dept have wanted for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

So, teachers of those subjects will be expected to relinquish their Easter holidays??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

Icsics wrote: »
    I’ve heard the orals will be on during Easter hols, which is what Dept have wanted for a long time

I’ve never understood why they aren’t on during Easter. The requirement of the principal to be around was the only reason that I’ve ever heard given as a reason.

A lot of principals don’t allow teachers to go out for the practicals/orals, and all put some kind of limit on it. I don’t think there’d be a problem getting examiners at Easter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

For my subject lca practicals will be the 17th May. Haven’t heard anything yet re JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

I’ve never understood why they aren’t on during Easter. The requirement of the principal to be around was the only reason that I’ve ever heard given as a reason.

For some subjects, such as Music, teachers need to be there to accompany students in the exam (piano accompaniment), and to make sure IT exams follow strict protocols and that backing tracks are balanced, etc, for both Junior and LC.

This means that these teachers would be expected to give up some days of their holidays. Orals could proceed without the subject teacher in situ, but Music is a very different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

For some subjects, such as Music, teachers need to be there to accompany students in the exam (piano accompaniment), and to make sure IT exams follow strict protocols and that backing tracks are balanced, etc, for both Junior and LC.

This means that these teachers would be expected to give up some days of their holidays. Orals could proceed without the subject teacher in situ, but Music is a very different kettle of fish.

Be careful what you wish for. If orals can go ahead during Easter holidays - why not the practical exams such as engineering, construction, home economics and your subject music. I hope the unions fight for us if it happens. The holidays are needed to help us motivate us for the last busy term.

Advertisement