Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House training an older cat

• 04-12-2020 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

How possible is this.

He’s been a yard cat for years but getting slow amd I’m getting more worried about postman or couriers knocking him down.

He’s mad for the house but when he does get in he jumps up on worktop and table

Uses a litter tray in the garage when he’s shut in there.

My daughter wants to put in a cat flap and have him in the back hall but I don’t think he would train to it at this stage. He’s five or six.

Oh.
    Would it be unfair to bring him in and not the younger cat. I can’t be having two in the house. Both rescues.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You should have no issues with house training a cat, if you put down a litterbox or two he'll likely pick it up from day 1. In regards to a cat flap I've found putting tuna on the other side of the flap tends to get the job done simply because they will head bump the door and go "Oh!" and use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If hes using a cat tray in the garage, he will know what to do when you let him in the house! Ive got 3 ex-ferals - all seemed to naturally want to use the litter tray.
    If hes mad to be in the house, the cat-flap will be no problem to him - prop it open and call him with a nice bit of a treat, he'll hop in and out happily.
    Why cant you have 2 in the house - TWICE the company and twice the love :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

They use a cat flap to the garage already and I’ve no doubt they wiii use a litter tray.

How do I stop them ripping up mats, they claw at them soon as they get in.

Is it possible to keep them off tables and worktops? These are our round the farm and I’m not keen on them walking whatever all over the place where food is prepared.

Advertisement