Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The housing "crisis" is over

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The left are in power...

where and who?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    where and who?

To the left of central with a fraction to the right :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

where and who?

In Ireland, I dont care that they are centre by this rocks standards. They are centre left any where else! Insane welfare, free housing, paid for by corporation tax and the hard working, with way too much generosity shown to many, paid for by those themselves struggling...
    Fifty percent marginal rate of tax over a pittance, brilliant for incentivising work , productivitybabd keeping a mobile labour force here.
    Free medical card, no cap on visits or contribution V e60 a pop for those finding the system! I really think the people here defending this, actually think the Irish situation is normal. Be the one to pay for everything and it gets you nothing but cut off from everything!

Pay RELATED social insurance, that term is another joke in the context of her...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

To the left of central with a fraction to the right :-)
    In Ireland, I dont care that they are centre by this rocks standards. They are centre left any where else! Insane welfare, free housing, paid for by corporation tax and the hard working, with way too much generosity shown to many, paid for by those themselves struggling...
    Fifty percent marginal rate of tax over a pittance, brilliant for incentivising work , productivitybabd keeping a mobile labour force here.
    Free medical card, no cap on visits or contribution V e60 a pop for those finding the system! I really think the people here defending this, actually think the Irish situation is normal. Be the one to pay for everything and it gets you nothing but cut off from everything!

Pay RELATED social insurance, that term is another joke in the context of her...

oh ffs, do you folks ever get bored of this nonsense, ireland is a typical free market economy, this makes us more economically conservative, hence the reluctance to truly get involved in property markets, by implementing only minor policies that truly dont do much, certainly positively, being far more protective and supportive towards the more plutocratic elements in society, cooperation activities etc etc. politically left, gimme a break!

Where would you say our current government is on the political spectrum? Where do you reckon they would be if in Germany, UK or US?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

oh ffs, do you folks ever get bored of this nonsense, ireland is a typical free market economy, this makes us more economically conservative, hence the reluctance to truly get involved in property markets, by implementing only minor policies that truly dont do much, certainly positively, being far more protective and supportive towards the more plutocratic elements in society, cooperation activities etc etc. politically left, gimme a break!

Socially Ireland is definitely left

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

We haven't seen Left yet. Wait till Sinn Fein get into power on their own, which seems very likely at the next election.
    I would advise any small time landlord to worm their way out of the rental market before this happens. Or watch ownership of their property gradually diminish.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

Let’s hope the Irish gets these new houses first

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Boggles wrote: »
    Must be fúcking exhausting to be constantly outraged.
    It's more exhausting to be working to put your own roof over your head.

We haven't seen Left yet. Wait till Sinn Fein get into power on their own, which seems very likely at the next election.
    I would advise any small time landlord to worm their way out of the rental market before this happens. Or watch ownership of their property gradually diminish.

They will likely win the most seats, fg seat losses at last election was over housing. Vivid will likely be long forgotten by next election, but housing issue will be worse than ever. Goes to show you how much they want RIP off property, that they will lose power over it, before doing something about it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I would suggest using tax payer money to buy, rent, lease off private concerns is not working. Ditto with selling or giving away public land so companies can build to rent back to the state at a premium. The is all very right wing. Looking to private business to tackle social problems. We are assisting private business in pricing the tax paying renter/buyer out of the market.

Bowie wrote: »
    I would suggest using tax payer money to buy, rent, lease off private concerns is not working. Ditto with selling or giving away public land so companies can build to rent back to the state at a premium. The is all very right wing. Looking to private business to tackle social problems. We are assisting private business in pricing the tax paying renter/buyer out of the market.

It's a contradiction here, that bit is right wing. But the welfare state , free housing and taxing mid to high earners at ridiculous levels, is left wing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Every existing political party that I know of in the Dáil has failed to tackle nimbyism. The TDs I have seen in action talk about how they want reasonably priced homes in Dublin to buy or rent but as soon as somebody proposes something along those lines in their constituency, they’re suddenly objecting vigorously to the monstrous scale of the development and all the priceless heritage that will be affected etc. etc. I don’t think it’s appropriate for politicians to be landlords either.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The housing crisis is here to stay and will be around for long long time.

Supply just simply cannot meet demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They will likely win the most seats, fg seat losses at last election was over housing. Vivid will likely be long forgotten by next election, but housing issue will be worse than ever. Goes to show you how much they want RIP off property, that they will lose power over it, before doing something about it...

FFG still have about twice as many seats as SF. There are still many people who know that SF can't magic up houses no matter how much they pretend to be able to do.

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Every existing political party that I know of in the Dáil has failed to tackle nimbyism. The TDs I have seen in action talk about how they want reasonably priced homes in Dublin to buy or rent but as soon as somebody proposes something along those lines in their constituency, they’re suddenly objecting vigorously to the monstrous scale of the development and all the priceless heritage that will be affected etc. etc. I don’t think it’s appropriate for politicians to be landlords either.

totally true, pathetic shower of morons the lot of them! but when FG lost a lot of seats the last time mostly related to housing, you can nearly be hundred percent sure, that covid will be long gone come next election. Housing will be at forefront again, SF have talked a lot of talk, they will have to do something about housing or lose the one issue that has given them the massive surge!

Or FF/ FG form another government, to keep SF out, but SF likely will be the biggest party, due to housing issue. Can they once again do nothing about housing?

20,000 housing completions this year, 100,000 a year during the boom!

This talk of sustainability! its comedy, put people 40km out, driving etc to get to work or use a third world transport system. OR put them forty floors up in the docklands! But no, thousands of residential units have not been built there, because a HANDFUL of people live across the road, you actually need to think through the full ramification of this insanity!

Massive loss of investment, loss of homes. In established areas, they cant really built much if any more, certainly wont be high rise. I would strongly suggest at this stage and it is obvious. That nimbyism, is losing far more votes, than it will gain!

Housing isnt a massive issue if you are a homeowner. Its a serious and growing issue for hundreds of thousands though, and the comedians in power are either so ridiculously stupid (to put it politely) or morally corrupt and while you may not consider wanting rip off prices, that your policy dictates, that does benefit you if you are a homeowner, as corruption, think it is a form of corruption...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

FFG still have about twice as many seats as SF. There are still many people who know that SF can't magic up houses no matter how much they pretend to be able to do.

If you believe that or not the public are hurting and FFG are well able to magic up 25 year leases on luxury apartments for the least well off while making it more difficult for everyone else to buy or rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The plan is to have as many as possible rent, they don't want us owning much or anything, you only have to look at the greens model, we live in high rise, we car share or basically rent everything..... These tools also want the population up or above 10 million on this little island, this is the worst thing one could think up especially in an environmental savings way....

Deluded

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Regarding the council housing situation and in particular council housing being awarded in a partic expensive development.

Its surprised me that no one has mentioned this.

The fact that council housing has been given in a place where apartments are going for nearly half a million or more in some cases just goes to show how much exactly they are overcharging us.

Yes we ARE mugs. But in a few more ways than one.

The govt should have started controlling the price of housing. But they are afraid to because it would affect the valuation of houses. Your house price would go down etc.

Catch 22 situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The govt should have started controlling the price of housing. But they are afraid to because it would affect the valuation of houses. Your house price would go down etc.

Is there any country in the western world that does this? I know lots of places have rent controls, but controls on the selling prices? I doubt it.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/council-reasons-for-not-building-houses-just-don-t-stack-up-1.4421512?mode=amp

Good article on the entire farce here... wait until things return to normal, the housing situation will be worse than ever and assuming protests will start...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭PearseCork92

Is there any country in the western world that does this? I know lots of places have rent controls, but controls on the selling prices? I doubt it.

The Netherlands has a highly interventionist housing policy, and while they don't exactly set house price caps, the net effect is to dampen house prices to the advantage of first time buyers and those in or around the median income.

Example: Local governments have the power to reserve homes in certain geographies for first time / lower-income buyers and can and do shut-out speculators and buy-to-let landlords.

Amsterdam has a newish rule that new builds have significant restrictions set on them around if they can be leased out by buyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

A country that took in, or at least agreed to take in, 5000 Syrian refugees from late 2015 to the present, and assign them all homes within 3 months of arrival, does not have a housing crisis.

It has a preference crisis.

A country that agreed to take in 250 "children" from Calais does not have any problems with provision of social services and children's healthcare.

It has a preference crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/council-reasons-for-not-building-houses-just-don-t-stack-up-1.4421512?mode=amp

Good article on the entire farce here... wait until things return to normal, the housing situation will be worse than ever and assuming protests will start...

So who you blamimg this time?

FG, SF, FF?

Remember SF held the majority in DCC up until a while back.

So who's fault is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

FG, SF, FF?

So who's fault is it?

Faux excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

smurgen wrote: »
    Faux excuse.

Well hello there:)

FG, SF, FF?

So who's fault is it?

All of them ! At local level. National level is where it needs to be addressed, local level are a joke ... national level ffg dont want to address it, rip off prices evidently is what they want.this is what's fascinating, when the next election outcome is decided primarily on housing. It's going to be hard for all of these nimbly hypocrites , to carry on as they have been...

Advertisement