Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do we actually fix the rental market?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Greentopia wrote: »
    Why 17%? But yes I would if I got here what I did for my taxes in Sweden, but I paid 36% income taxes when I worked there for many years on a middle income job so high taxes are not a given to create high quality reasonable cost rental accommodation.
    See, this is why international tax comparisons are always hard. As well as income tax, paid by the employee, Sweden has a hefty payroll tax, paid by the employer. So as well as you paying 36% of your nominal income, your employer was paying another 31.4%. It might have looked to you like you were being paid 100 and getting 74 into your hot little hand, but from the employer's perspective the cost of employing you was 131.4, and you were getting 74 - an effective tax take of 49%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Peregrinus wrote: »
    See, this is why international tax comparisons are always hard. As well as income tax, paid by the employee, Sweden has a hefty payroll tax, paid by the employer. So as well as you paying 36% of your nominal income, your employer was paying another 31.4%. It might have looked to you like you were being paid 100 and getting 74 into your hot little hand, but from the employer's perspective the cost of employing you was 131.4, and you were getting 74 - an effective tax take of 49%.

Hopefully this explains why Swedes- employees and employers, are happy to pay high taxes:https://sweden.se/society/why-swedes-are-okay-with-paying-taxes/#

They are taught from the time they go to Dagis- daycare, that Sweden is the best country in the world to live in. A model country that all others should follow, where egalitarianism and higher taxes are a necessity cornerstone for a fair, equal and just society where things work as they should. The vast majority of Swedes agree with high taxes.

And btw- they see countries like Ireland and the Anglo nations that have low taxation (as a percentage of GDP), our poor public services and infrastructure and this is not what they want for their country.

Advertisement