Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sausage Maker

Options
  • 04-12-2020 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking of getting a sausage maker for a friend, but I've no experience in them? Should I get a manual one or electric one? Have you any recommendations?

Thanks
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Hi John,

there's two components - the meat grinder and the stuffer. I got a meat grinder attachment for my kitchenaid and it works a treat. It did come with a stuffer attachment but it is horrible to work with. This goes for all stuffer attachments for grinders - the concept is just wrong.

So you need a dedicated stuffer. Depending on your budget they range in price from ~€50 to €150 for the hobby sausage maker.

https://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/ are great for supplies and Scott Rea on youtube will tell you or your friend everything you need to know about sausage making

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You'd want to be very sure that this person actually wants a sausage maker.

Good chance a sausage maker will merely take up space.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Larry Bee

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Hi John,

there's two components - the meat grinder and the stuffer. I got a meat grinder attachment for my kitchenaid and it works a treat. It did come with a stuffer attachment but it is horrible to work with. This goes for all stuffer attachments for grinders - the concept is just wrong.

So you need a dedicated stuffer. Depending on your budget they range in price from ~€50 to €150 for the hobby sausage maker.

https://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/ are great for supplies and Scott Rea on youtube will tell you or your friend everything you need to know about sausage making

Thats really helpful - thank you very much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Be sure to check out reviews, esp. the negative ones.

People may recommend buying from catering suppliers, I saw terrible reviews of some models catering suppliers used.

I was going to get a manual one as I thought it would not break but saw bad reviews, I then considered buying a vintage one, as it is true that many things were "built to last" in the past.

I wanted if for grinding meat and have just chopped it up finely with a knife instead. I did not particularly want another gadget taking up space if it was not necessary. I now no longer thing I would really get the use out of it that I thought I might.

Advertisement