Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why not pay the student nurses?!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

weisses wrote: »
    Students in year 1 to 3 are not supposed to be paid while on placement in year 4 when you go on a 36 weeks internship you get paid something .. I wouldn't call it a wage though

Do you know how long the placements are in year 1 to 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ma003

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I actually don't disagree with it being a Degree programme but I think it could be designed a lot better. Honestly, I think both Nursingand Medicine should be Post Grad courses of shorter duration. Get the med students on placement in a similar vein to Nursing Students. Its home both are fine in the States, for example.

Totally agree ! Especially placements for medical students should be way more practical based! Especially the 4 year grad program where most people have already done a degree! Bit ridiculous that a lot of training for doctors is done in the intern year after college is done. Probably down to not having the resources though to have students everywhere and to have people responsible for them more than anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Every word true - and precisely why nursing should never have overloaded it’s new intake with a degree when apprenticeship style on the job training was so much better.

Unfortunately it's not as black and white .. The nursing profession changed considerably over the years with more responsibilities put on nurses. On many occasions i have seen doctors asking advice from nurses, there are also many nursing specialty jobs which require a post grad level of training ...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ma003

CatFromHue wrote: »

At least half the year I think so they might be 4-6 weeks then lectures for 3 then back on placement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭combat14

OP because it is far more important to pay the perpetually unemployed and work shy who havent put in one cv for a job in 40 years but all the while sit in free houses and have everything handed to them on a plate .. hard to have money left for student nurses who are bursting them selves when that is happening ..

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »

13 weeks each in year 1 and 2 and 18 weeks in year 3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I actually don't disagree with it being a Degree programme but I think it could be designed a lot better. Honestly, I think both Nursingand Medicine should be Post Grad courses of shorter duration. Get the med students on placement in a similar vein to Nursing Students. Its home both are fine in the States, for example.

I know someone who teaches on a PG theatre nursing programme - they are very much needed and give additional bespoke skills as needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

What do you know of the academic demands of a BSc in Nursing? Its a full degree course with everything that entails - essays, exams, research projects etc. Often deadlines are set mid-placement where you are far away from resources. Not to mention that the breadth of Nursing means you are in lectures all day long while in college . Ananstomy and physiology, bio-chrmistry, pharmacology, law, economics, sociology, health related social policy, nursing theory, nursing practice.....I haven't covered them all. Most students have time during the day to get some work done outside of lectures, student nurses don't. Your attitude demonstrates exactly why Nursing as a profession chose to switch to degree programmes for qualifications. Despite decades of excellent scholarship and research, Nursing is still not taken seriously as a profession.Even now, you have demonstrated that their degree is somehow regarded lesser than that of other Health professions.

What do you know about the demand of every other course? You were the one who made the claim about nursing having "About double the workload of any other degree course."

I have complete respect for what nurses do. I don't see how you could being insulted by me thinking other courses could have higher academic demands than nuring. I did a health science degree myself and think there are loads of other courses more academically demanding than what I did too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

What do you know about the demand of every other course? You were the one who made the claim about nursing having "About double the workload of any other degree course."

I have complete respect for what nurses do. I don't see how you could being insulted by me thinking other courses could have higher academic demands than nuring. I did a health science degree myself and think there are loads of other courses more academically demanding than what I did too.

Thry are basically coupling a fulltime academic course with the previous fulltime practice base course. What other courses do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Here is a twitter description of one student nurse's experience

https://twitter.com/_aimeeoneill_/status/1334858325280886784

Doesnt sound much different to pre 2002 when it was apparently "an apprenticeship" except we were paid as student nurses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Typical far left statement.

Shake the mythical money tree and keep the taxes high.

What are you talking about?
    Paying student nurses 350 euro a week for the last 10 months would be less than 0.004% of the HSE budget for the year.

Taxes in Ireland have always been high.
    If taxes go up when expenditure increases, then by rights it should go down when expenditure decreases.
    Which it doesn't, which means your analogy is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

There are too many bosses and long serving staff in the HSE earning 80/90/100K plus salaries not to mention their defined benefit pensions . Wages in ireland for those individuals are breaking the system . No money left for student nurses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Very difficult to asses Students in college here are from all over Ireland ... My own situation is a 140 km roundtrip daily at least with the furthest possible placement 150 km away

Yes I am aware I spend thousands and that is before going on placement

Why would I tell lies?? We were told there are hundreds of places to be allocated each and every time and they could not take into account peoples preferences. Which to me makes perfect sense

Uhh no .. Other circumstances could be a mature nursing student with 3 kids looking for a place closer to home for instance

Loads of people apply for nursing, some get it and some don't. Starting a course and then complaining because it is exactly as described doesn't make sense to me. Everyone is made aware of the T&C before the course.

Nurses move all around the country every year. So what are you saying a full-time nurse can't move between hospitals because from my knowledge this happens all the time.

My advice is don't sign up for a course if you don't understand the commitment you are making.

khalessi wrote: »
    Here is a twitter description of one student nurse's experience

https://twitter.com/_aimeeoneill_/status/1334858325280886784

Doesnt sound much different to pre 2002 when it was apparently "an apprenticeship" except we were paid as student nurses.

I think you missed my point that before the degree student nurses were better off and were paid while learning.

My dad was cared for by amongst others a student nurse. Woman was amazing, not a bad word said here.

I think you missed my point that before the degree student nurses were better off and were paid while learning.

My dad was cared for by amongst others a student nurse. Woman was amazing, not a bad word said here.

No I got it. I placed that tweet up there for anyone who says the students nurses are merely observing on the wards, they are not, they are working as a proper nurse, doing practically everything a qualified nurse does and thus deserve to be paid properly for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

No I got it. I placed that tweet up there for anyone who says the students nurses are merely observing on the wards, they are not, they are working as a proper nurse, doing practically everything a qualified nurse does and thus deserve to be paid properly for it.

The hse are leaving themselves open to medical malpractice lawsuits in that case. Unqualified workers.

There is no way this is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

They came out with an inferior qualification. Why shouldn't nurses be educated to degree standard? What is it about Nursing that makes you think it didn't require the same academic thoroughness as Medicine, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy etc? What is wrong is the structure of the course, not the fact that they are now educated to the same standard as every other Health profession.

The hse are leaving themselves open to medical malpractice lawsuits in that case. Unqualified workers.

Student nurses have always worked on wards, even back in my day. Only now there is a more academic side to compliment the ward work. They still learn all the skills necessary for working on the ward. The difference is they are not recompensed properly for this work. Someone working a 12 hour shift should be recompensed properly whether it is a placement or not. You obviously dont understand the inner workings of a hospital.

It depends how you quantify work - this wee student nurse who tended for my dad was sitting with him and calming him as he didn’t want the oxygen mask on him.

She was running round doing what the unkind might call “menial” tasks to free up the qualified nurses to administer meds etc.

Yet she contributed to my dad’s care before he passed away. Should she be paid the same as a qualified nurse ? Clearly not. Should they be paid for what they do when not studying ?

Hell yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I think the answer is in the question.

Why not pay students? WTF why would you?

Why not pay student NURSES? They are doing the job of nursing people so again Hell Yes.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Loads of people apply for nursing, some get it and some don't. Starting a course and then complaining because it is exactly as described doesn't make sense to me. Everyone is made aware of the T&C before the course.

Nurses move all around the country every year. So what are you saying a full-time nurse can't move between hospitals because from my knowledge this happens all the time.

My advice is don't sign up for a course if you don't understand the commitment you are making.

Is this incoherent waffle aimed at me ?? If so I would suggest you go over your own posts and then point out where I dont agree with the T&C for instance

My advice to you is to try and comprehend what is said before typing a reply

It depends how you quantify work - this wee student nurse who tended for my dad was sitting with him and calming him as he didn’t want the oxygen mask on him.

She was running round doing what the unkind might call “menial” tasks to free up the qualified nurses to administer meds etc.

Yet she contributed to my dad’s care before he passed away. Should she be paid the same as a qualified nurse ? Clearly not. Should they be paid for what they do when not studying ?

Hell yes.

She was not studying .. She was doing a nursing job when she looked after your dad .. Part of what she was doing is described in the link below

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0020748918301032

Your dad was lucky in having a nursing student looking after him the way she did ... Although specialling is a nursing job (depending on the kind of specialling), Nurses simply don't have the time doing this task.

She was not studying .. She was doing a nursing job when she looked after your dad .. Part of what she was doing is described in the link below

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0020748918301032

Your dad was lucky in having a nursing student looking after him the way she did ... Although specialling is a nursing job (depending on the kind of specialling), Nurses simply don't have the time doing this task.

Quite agree, I believe nurses should be paid for the work they do in hospitals when not studying.

No she isn't, she is a care assistants job.
    Student nurses do not do fully qualified nurses tasks.

You are telling a few porkies on here and you are actually insulting the work of fully qualified nurses.

How dare you, how absolutely ****ing dare you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

How dare you, how absolutely ****ing dare you.

Seems Solutionking was quick to delete that little piece of ignorance :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solutionking View Post

Could you define what a qualified nurses duties are please?

Quite agree, I believe nurses should be paid for the work they do in hospitals when not studying.

Just to quote the rules we need to follow and to show again Im not telling porkies
    Year 2 – 3 students are permitted to special a patient for a short period of time (i.e. relief of breaks),once judged competent to do so by the RN who retains accountable for the care provided. This should only occur as part of a rotation, and must not be the sole responsibility of the student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solutionking View Post

Could you define what a qualified nurses duties are please?

It is quoted 2 posts up. Why did you feel the need to type it out? :confused:
    I deleted because I couldn't be bothered .

As I said, the T&C's are laid out clear before people apply to be student nurses, if they had a problem they should not have applied. Plenty of people applied and didn't get the chance to go on the course.

As I said, the T&C's are laid out clear before people apply to be student nurses, if they had a problem they should not have applied. Plenty of people applied and didn't get the chance to go on the course.

Again .... Incorrect
    Please stop embarrassing yourself

• Advertisement

It is quoted 2 posts up. Why did you feel the need to type it out? :confused:
    I deleted because I couldn't be bothered .

So basically you cannot list off what a nurse does on a ward, thanks.

Advertisement