Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why not pay the student nurses?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Remember also that student nurses are counted as full time staff to make up numbers.

Students are NOT counted as full-time staff to make up numbers. Intern students, who are paid, are counted as half a nurse, so two students replace one qualified nurse. This generally costs more than one qualified nurse!

The amount of disinformation in this thread is concerning, to be honest!

If the cause to have students paid is to bear any fruition, the issue will not be advanced while boarders continue peddling ill-informed untruths....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Good information from MM today
    https://fb.watch/2fxkxKosj5/
    Suggest a few people watch it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

Mumbling and stumbling not giving a ****.

The FFG way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Mumbling and stumbling not giving a ****.

The FFG way

Spare us your incoherent, abusive post which adds nothing to the discussion.

Caquas wrote: »
    Spare us your incoherent, abusive post which adds nothing to the discussion.

Abusive? I said he mumbled and stumpled when talking about it today, and he clearly dosnt give a fcuk once he's the main man.

Ruined the FF party in a few months by letting Leo run wild and do what he likes.

Pay increases for all but none for Student nurses

• Advertisement

Loads of FF lads not happy at the party meeting according to Daniel McConnell. Not just a few a large amount of anger that this vote against the students will destroy them when elections come around

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

In theory all is fine

While on the ground it can be a different story.

Student nurses were thrown into the front line in a nursing home with rampant COVID.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/student-nurses-deployed-to-frontline-of-covid-19-pandemic-to-relieve-chronic-staff-shortages-in-one-of-the-worst-hit-nursing-homes-39857016.html

Could the HSE not spare any of its 40,000 fully trained nurses?

Student nurses were thrown into the front line in a nursing home with rampant COVID.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/student-nurses-deployed-to-frontline-of-covid-19-pandemic-to-relieve-chronic-staff-shortages-in-one-of-the-worst-hit-nursing-homes-39857016.html

Could the HSE not spare any of its 40,000 fully trained nurses?

I imagine that the 40,000 were needed more in hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I do think as a student nurse you need to be on the floor to get experience, learn and understand how wards are run and managed, but that does not mean you exploit them for 13 hour shifts and not pay them. Student nurses should not be doing 13 hour shifts, and they should be getting pay for the hours they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Covering the other nurses out sick with COVID :rolleyes:

khalessi wrote: »
    I do think as a student nurse you need to be on the floor to get experience, learn and understand how wards are run and managed, but that does not mean you exploit them for 13 hour shifts and not pay them. Student nurses should not be doing 13 hour shifts, and they should be getting pay for the hours they do.

They’ll be working 13 hour shifts when they qualify.

I don’t understand what the problem is. Student nurses get €13 odd per hour during Covid. Or have I misunderstood. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I don’t understand what the problem is. Student nurses get €13 odd per hour during Covid. Or have I misunderstood. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I know they will, but they dont need to now. Each hospital have different shifts so it shouldnt be 13 hours, that is just covering ward shortages. They are not getting paid now and are still working those hours to my knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

weisses wrote: »
    There is a sponsorship available in the HSE that allows HCA's to do their nursing degree, they are getting paid their wages while doing the course. They are committed to stay and work within the HSE for a good while though after graduating.

I assume you're referring to this:
    https://healthservice.hse.ie/about-us/onmsd/cpd-for-nurses-and-midwives/onmsd-sponsorship-schemes/student-public-health-nurses.html

To apply for this programme you must be registered in the General Nursing Division with NMBI.

You must also have at least 3 years post-registration nursing experience.

This can be 3 full years of general nursing experience or 18 months of general nursing plus 18 months as a:

Registered Midwife (RM)
    Registered Children’s Nurse (RCN)
    Registered Nurse Intellectual Disability (RNID)
    Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN)

This doesn't apply to the nurses who are not being paid, obviously. I suspect you either knew that or couldn't have been bothered to actually look in to it.

It's like this. Teachers and gardaí don't get paid for their training because of the nature of the work being done. The pay scale reflects that the more experience you have, the more effective you'll be in these positions, but you need to learn how to actually do it on the job before you're not a liability to those around you. Nurses; emptying bedpans, changing catheters, taking bloods - all of it is visceral and risky work. It's the nature of the job and it's hard from the get-go.

If we want to train and retain nurses, the only way to do it is to do it properly. It's a nasty, horrible job that I'm sure has huge fulfilment for many, but I wouldn't do it myself and I don't know many at all who would. We need to incentivise and reward the people who do.

The issue is really that Leo Varadkar and Simon Harris are never going to experience the actual realities of hospital ward chaos due to nurse shortages, so they don't give a toss about paying them or keeping them here.

Luckily the usual begrudgers have somehow latched onto this cohort as people who deserve to be mistreated so it looks like public opinion, however misinformed, is once again on the absolute wrong side of the argument. I can only hope that those same plebs are satisfied with their treatment at the end of their life when there are no staff to look after them, although I'm sure at least a small proportion of those happy to watch nurses get sick and die from covid have private healthcare and are confident that they'll never have to rely on the state for that.

This country is a shltshow.

I know they will, but they dont need to now. Each hospital have different shifts so it shouldnt be 13 hours, that is just covering ward shortages. They are not getting paid now and are still working those hours to my knowledge

Are they not getting €13 an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

How many hours does the on call S.H.O. work in a row? No one is forcing them to do anything like that while studying medicine. This obsession with the 'practical nature' of Nursing is baffling. Is surgery not hans on? Physiotherapy? Radiography? Somehow, they manage to qualify and practice competently without being treated like drudges during their degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Gardai get paid whilst training.

So the HSE could spare student nurses but not any of the 40,000 qualified nurses?

What was the HSE's higher priority in hospitals? There was a peak of less than 700 patients with COVID-19 admitted in hospital. At that time, most elective procedures were cancelled. Yet the HSE decided to send student nurses to help in a hotspot were 24 patients died of COVID.

Strange priorities indeed. Or is that student nurses are sent to do the work that others won't?

So the HSE could spare student nurses but not any of the 40,000 qualified nurses?

What was the HSE's higher priority in hospitals? There was a peak of less than 700 patients with COVID-19 admitted in hospital. At that time, most elective procedures were cancelled. Yet the HSE decided to send student nurses to help in a hotspot were 24 patients died of COVID.

Strange priorities indeed. Or is that student nurses are sent to do the work that others won't?

They volunteered and were paid. No one was made do anything that they didn’t want to. Though, of course that doesn’t suit the bleeding hearts agenda.

Very few nurses actually work in nursing homes. Most staff are just carers.

Who needs Nurses who are afraid of being near the sick?

They volunteered and were paid. No one was made do anything that they didn’t want to. Though, of course that doesn’t suit the bleeding hearts agenda.

Very few nurses actually work in nursing homes. Most staff are just carers.

Who needs Nurses who are afraid of being near the sick?

How about trained professionals doing what they were paid to do? Instead of sending in trainees. My concern is the standard of medical care which the patients and the elderly residents were receiving, but if the staff is paid and volunteering, you're not bothered (pity about the 24 dead though?)

• Advertisement

How about trained professionals doing what they were paid to do? Instead of sending in trainees. My concern is the care which the patients and the elderly residents were receiving, but if the staff is paid and volunteering, you're not bothered.

Trainee nurses are well qualified to care for residents of nursing homes. They work like the regular staff under the supervision of nurses. Same as always. Before Covid, many trainee nurses worked in nursing homes and for private caring agencies at weekends and during holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

9589547e27d95dc326c01190fb67a3b0.jpg

They do a lot of donkey work, and have to wear a boring outfit. Surely it's worth paying them something.

Trainee nurses are well qualified to care for residents of nursing homes. They work like the regular staff under the supervision of nurses. Same as always. Before Covid, many trainee nurses worked in nursing homes and for private caring agencies at weekends and during holidays.

Two different claims.

Firstly, do you mean that residents of nursing homes don’t need the care of qualified nurses or that trainee nurses could do for COVID patients everything that a qualified nurse could do?

Secondly, how many qualified nurses were in that nursing home to supervise the trainee nurses?

Two different claims.

Firstly, do you mean that residents of nursing homes don’t need the care of qualified nurses or that trainee nurses could do for COVID patients everything that a qualified nurse could do?

Secondly, how many qualified nurses were in that nursing home to supervise the trainee nurses?

Nursing home staff are mostly qualified to FETAC level 5 supervised by qualified nurses. Many student nurses work in nursing homes at weekends and during holidays.
    Most nursing home residents are not incapacitated. They don’t need full time nursing care, but it is there for them should they need it.
    There are guidelines as to the ratio of nurses to care workers to residents.

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    I assume you're referring to this:
    https://healthservice.hse.ie/about-us/onmsd/cpd-for-nurses-and-midwives/onmsd-sponsorship-schemes/student-public-health-nurses.html

To apply for this programme you must be registered in the General Nursing Division with NMBI.

You must also have at least 3 years post-registration nursing experience.

This can be 3 full years of general nursing experience or 18 months of general nursing plus 18 months as a:

Registered Midwife (RM)
    Registered Children’s Nurse (RCN)
    Registered Nurse Intellectual Disability (RNID)
    Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN)

This doesn't apply to the nurses who are not being paid, obviously. I suspect you either knew that or couldn't have been bothered to actually look in to it.

You assumed wrong, Look at my post again and then you will see that I am talking about HCA's route to becoming a Nurse. You provided a link which point out the route of becoming a PHN after already being a qualified nurse.

So If you try to get a smart remark in at least make sure you read what was actually said

No its not covering ward shortages .. .As a student nurse you do 35 hours a week on placement and you do the hours that are required for the ward you are on, In ED its a 12 hour shift while on other wards you might do 8. Once you have done your 35 hours you are finished for the week. And those 35 hours include training sessions with the CPC and reflective practice, So time spend on the ward with your preceptor is less then 30 hours a week.

You got paid 13 euro an hour working as a HCA over the summer, In my case I missed three weeks of placement, Normally you need to come back over the summer (unpaid) to make up for the missed hours but now, because of covid I could use my hours working as an HCA to repay the missed placement hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Can't pay student nurses risking their lives re COVID but will pay €389m on a Christmas Welfare Bonus.

Two different claims.

Nursing home I worked in had 2 Nurses and 6 HCA's looking after 40 people ... The quality of care was mostly depending on the HCA's, with nurses looking after the medication and some of the more complex care.

What do you mean by supervising in this context ?

• Advertisement

weisses wrote: »
    Nursing home I worked in had 2 Nurses and 6 HCA's looking after 40 people ... The quality of care was mostly depending on the HCA's, with nurses looking after the medication and some of the more complex care.

What do you mean by supervising in this context ?

I hope they had more than 2 nurses in the nursing home where 24 patients died.:mad:

Maryanne in post 838 answered my question about sending the student nurses into the nursing home by saying they would be supervised. I'm asking how many qualified nurses were in that nursing home to supervise student nurses during the outbreak of COVID-19?

Advertisement